NCAA Football Concepts: Group of Five + Indepedent Schools (Tulane, 28/67)

mahnkej

I took a bit of a break after finishing my Power Five Conference concept series, and now I'm ready to get back at it by starting a thread for Group of Five + Independent schools. For this series, I made some updated MS Paint templates that are more realistic than my first one (which was basically just several different elements thrown together). 

Hope ya'll enjoy these! Comments/feedback always welcome and much appreciated.

AAC

Cincinnati | East Carolina | Houston | Memphis | Navy | SMU | South Florida | Temple | Tulane | Tulsa | UCF

C-USA

West Division:  Louisiana Tech | North Texas | Rice | Southern Miss | UAB | UTEP | UTSA |

East Division:  Charlotte | Florida Atlantic | FIU | Marshall | Middle Tennessee | Old Dominion | Western Kentucky

MAC

West Division: Ball State | Central Michigan | Eastern Michigan | Northern Illinois | Toledo | Western Michigan

East Division: Akron | Bowling Green | Buffalo | Kent State | Miami (Ohio) | Ohio

Mountain West

West Division: Fresno State | Hawaii | Nevada | UNLV | San Diego State | San Jose State

East Division: Air Force | Boise State | Colorado State | New Mexico | Utah State | Wyoming

Sun Belt

West Division: Arkansas State | Louisiana | Louisiana-Monroe | South Alabama | Texas State

East Division: Appalachian State | Coastal Carolina | Georgia Southern | Georgia State | James Madison | Troy

Independents

Army | BYU | Liberty | New Mexico State | Notre Dame | UConn  v2 | UMass

Bonus:

Commander-In-Chief's Trophy

Boise State Broncos

First team up in this series is everyone's favorite underdog, the Boise State Broncos (although Cincy is definitely giving them a run for their money lately). Boise State is definitely a trendsetter in a lot of ways, from their asymmetrical helmets with Bronco head on one side and numbers on the other. They've also done a great job at incorporating little motifs such as their (literally) "Blue Collar" collars.

With this being the case, I didn't make any drastic changes. Changes are did make are as follows:

• Added slanted double lines on the pants to match the ones on the sleeves
  • Incorporated blue facemasks + helmet bumpers into the look
  • Used their catchphrase "Bleed Blue" on the rear helmet bumpers
  • Used white numbers on the blue and orange jerseys, as I think silver works better as an accent/tertiary color

tHAhs5s.png

fHhkHbx.png

NsAhkTZ.png

7xpIE8o.png

• Like 6

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Classic, iconic look. This isn't a team that needs much adjusting. As such, Home and Road jerseys stay pretty much as is, with one exception: I substituted the ND shamrock logo in place of the primary ND logo on the pants. For the alternates, I made 2 sets that substitute shamrock green in place of navy blue, and also added a cursive green "Irish" script to the helmets.

hQopo7B.png

jZn3LUN.png

dn0XUhZ.png

d38SLcS.png

• Like 4

UFC Knights

Definitely one of my favorite looks in the game. UCF has a great color scheme and a clean, modern design. Main changes I made were dropping anthracite from the color scheme, and adding gold jerseys + pants in their place. I also used their updated Knight head logo on the jersey collars and pants, and changed the coloring on the gold helmets.

GBQvRnJ.png

7eG0NcK.png

wHTntdj.png

QgFmkPd.png

efhCxdy.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Division I Football Concepts - Group of Five + Independents

Wyoming Cowboys

This is already a pretty good set, which doesn't need any big changes IMO. Updates I did make include:

• Changed the logo on the helmet bumper to this excellent "307" area code decal
  • Player names now use the same proprietary font as the numbers
  • Added a "Ride For The Brand" wordmark to the inside of the jersey collars
  • Updated the stripes on the helmet, jerseys, and pants to come to a 'point', which mimics the font style from the uniforms
  • Created a 2nd alternate jersey, which features all-gold numbering on an all-brown set

6Ccn8Z3.png

9W9nulF.png

imshdPI.png

himwVCE.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mahnkej said:

Wyoming Cowboys

Long time away, lost the itch for a while but I'm back at it with some new ideas.

First team up (just in time for Governor John Freaking Dutton to assume office) is the Wyoming Cowboys. This is already a pretty good set, a traditional design with some modern touches. Doesn't need any big changes IMO. Updates I did make include:

• Added a gold helmet to the mix; I think this would look excellent when paired w/ the gold pants, a la Green Bay Packers, LSU, etc.)
  • Changed the logo on the helmet bumper to this excellent "307" area code decal
  • Updated the player name tapes to use the same proprietary font as the numbers
  • Added a "Ride For The Brand" wordmark to the inside of the jersey collars
  • Changed the chest wordmark and player names on the home jersey to white, instead of gold
  • Updated the stripes on the helmet, jerseys, and pants to come to a 'point', which mimics the font style from the uniforms
  • Created a 2nd alternate jersey, which features all-gold lettering on an all-brown set and uses Wyoming's secondary cursive wordmark on the chest

Comments/feedback welcome!

DW6NrDd.png

FBYGZwq.png

yqR0I9D.png

GqpXdIy.png

These were my high school colors. 

• Like 1

N3d5IIl.png

• 2 weeks later...

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

First team up from Conference USA is the WKU Hilltoppers. For this set, I took some inspiration from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (the primary logos and colors definitely have some overlap). Changes I made include:

• The primary red logo on the helmet is enlarged, and the Nike stripe pattern is dropped
  • On the jerseys, the red primary logo is added to the sleeves
  • "WKU" wordmark is added to the chest
  • Number font is tweaked to something a little more aggressive
  • Subdued version of the cupola logo from the university's primary wordmark is added to the side of the pants

Iw9GlIq.png

ztXkW8g.png

RQD9rkb.png

NLPo9oZ.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

BYU Cougars

BYU already has a pretty great look, so this one was pretty straightforward.  Jerseys/pants stay basically as is;  helmets get the 5-stripe (aka Northwestern stripe) pattern to match the jerseys and pants. Black jersey/helmet combo is dropped in favor of the royal blue and white combinations, leaving them with 4 total color combinations.

MpaD9Px.png

mXN8nF9.png

RdSQTty.png

ir2r3i5.png

Army Black Knights

First team up from the service academies is the Army/West Point Black Knights. I stuck with the same basic design that they currently use,  with a few changes:

• Sleeves on the uniform use an American flag on one arm, and a unit patch on the other, mimicing how patches are displayed on the Army's service uniform
  • Single stripe is added to the pants
  • Black helmets featuring the Black Knight logo are added to the mix
  • For Alternate #1, I made a set which mimics the Army Service Uniform (aka Dress Greens), including the Army eagle insignia on the helmet
  • Alteratee #2,  I used the OCP camoflage pattern throughout, which mimics the Army Combat Uniform. This one also features U.S. Army and player nametapes on the front of the uniform

Navy + Air Force coming up next!

QmTzh1P.png

kcnMSGw.png

qKBXdNk.png

98FamOz.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Navy Midshipmen

Moving along to the 2nd of the 3 service academies, here is the US Naval Academy. Navy definitely has a good thing going with Under Armour, a nice take on their classic look and some really good alternates for the annual Army/Air Force games. A summary of my changes are as follows:

• Dropped the 7-stripe pattern from the shoulders/pants, and used a traditional 3-stripe pattern
  • Went to a classic, darker shade of metallic gold for the helmets and pants. Also used gold numbering on the navy blue home jerseys, in the same style as their excellent throwback uniforms
  • Went back to using TV numbers on the sleeves, as opposed to the Navy anchor logo
  • Added a pair of white pants, which when paired with the alternate white helmet gives them a clean all-white look which emulates the Navy service white uniform
  • The excellent USMC alternate uniform is retained, with a few minor tweaks
  • Finally, I made my own version of the excellent Blue Angels alternate uniform from a few years back. This version uses a gold helmet and pants, and a more traditional shoulder stripe pattern, which also pays homage to Navy's throwback jerseys. I also used Naval aviator badging in the place of the Globe & Anchor, and the helmet numbers mimic the tail numbers on the Blue Angels F/A-18 Super Hornet jets

LIJvUoA.png

IfGDu5x.png

VA6mg88.png

1ka73Dr.png

tmJYrc4.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Air Force Falcons

Last team up from the service academies is the Air Force Academy. Nice colors, clean design and really nice helmets (very LA Chargers type vibe), these didn't need much tweaking IMO. Main change I made was substituting lightning bolts on the jersey sleeves in place of the American Flag/Unit Patch combination (nothing wrong with this look, it's just Army already does the same thing and I wanted each school to have their own style). The other changes I made were going back to using white numbers on the blue jerseys, and adding silver pants & helmets to give them some additional looks.

For the alternates, I made a couple new jerseys. First alternate is an all-grey uniform (modeled off these) that pairs with a matching helmet with the utterly sublime A-10 Thunderbolt nose art. I also used the Air Force roundel and corporate logos, in place of the usual lightning bolts.

Second alternate is one I made based off the USAF Thunderbirds flight team. Uniforms are all-white with red, white, and blue trim, which is an homage to the paint job from the T-Birds aircraft. I also added some subtle details like the historical US Army Air Force logo on the jersey collars (the pilots wear white undershirts with this logo underneath their flight suits, which is a cool nod to the past). There's also a circle of stars around the front number like the Thunderbirds team squad numbers. Helmets are painted up to mimic the T-Birds flight helmets as well.

Now that all 3 service academies are done, I'll also show my hypothetical matchups for each school's annual games against one another for the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy. 

rcMZZsx.png

Hx9HYXa.png

qBLQLaF.png

EfAgn5f.png

CCkqhpD.png

ZoOQSZp.png

• Like 1

Bonus: Commander-In-Chief's Trophy

In the spirit of the annual Army-Navy football matchup (which has now become a uniform "tradition" of sorts) here are my own hypothetical matchups for the 2023/2024 seasons. Uniforms are taken from the respective threads I made for each school; I didn't create anything specifically for each game. There's 6 possible combinations: 3 matchups total per year, with each team being the home team once and road team another.

Air Force Home/Army Away

NfuwJv8.png

Air Force Home/Navy Away

dQ09RW4.png

Army Home/Air Force Away

UGwRT8j.png

Army Home/Navy Away

rVEHmFG.png

Navy Home/Air Force Away

kZZboSW.png

Navy Home/Army Away

Wi4S1z4.png

• Like 1

East Carolina Pirates

For this iteration, I basically made my own version of ECU's excellent "Modern Throwback" uniforms. These go in a more traditional direction than ECU's current set, with block numbers and a Northwestern stripe pattern on the sleeves and helmets. Chest wordmark is also changed to a simplifed "ECU".

The secondary pirate-themed logos are placed on the inner jersey collars, and a crossed swords logo is placed on the back neckline. All-black alternate uniform goes in a more aggressive, modern style. 

egJI45w.png

Agmkmqr.png

9GYfM2z.png

m7lPe3n.png

Houston Cougars

This set is pretty close to the current one, just with bit of a modern twist. I used Houston's proprietary font for the numbers, and added their secondary cougar logo on the pants and front helmet bumper. Alternate is a silver jersey with a cursive "Cougars" logo on the chest and a helmet with an oversized cougar head logo. Black is dropped from the color palette completely. 

hkjFiyN.png

lQn9rjc.png

He7iJyL.png

pftz4yO.png

Colorado State Rams

Main change I made to this set, was using the secondary Ram horn logo throughout the set. While the current helmet looks great as well, I wanted this to be a bit less derivative of the classic LA Rams look. I also used this pattern on the sleeves, and added a modified pants stripe to mimic the curve of a horn. 

Some other changes I made include:

• Changed the numbers on the home jerseys to gold w/ white trim
  • Changed the chest wordmark from "Colorado State" to a simplified "CSU"
  • Added a gold alternate jersey
  • Retained the excellent Colorado state flag alternate jerseys, with a few of my own changes added to make them more colorful

90B2ip0.png

xQ1x3hE.png

f7I98Gn.pngI3skkFH.png

• Like 3

Hawai'i Warriors

For these concepts, I went back to the previous-gen uniform style from Under Armour, as I definitely prefer this over the more generic Adidas look. Traditional tribal pattern stripe on the left (and only left) sleeve returns, and TV numbers are moved to the shoulders. Black uniforms use green numbers w/ white trim, and an "808" wordmark on the front helmet bumper is a nod to the people/culture of Hawaii. Finally, the completely ridiculous but also completely awesome Rainbow Warriors throwback look is brought back into the mix.

ESgMjxp.png

aJJzab8.png

EdhqbQ2.png

pP0Qh5p.png

• 3 weeks later...

San Diego State Aztecs

I absolutely love the way SDSU incorporated the Aztec calendar into their uniforms, so I kept that aspect as is. Pants use a simplified angled stripe, while the primary logo is added to the helmet.Basic design of the jerseys stays the same as well,  with some minor tweaks in colors. I also added red pants, made a red alternate uniform, and resurrected a 90's-era throwback uniform to complete this set. 

hn5FZfs.png

9w2Edrs.png

mNpEs0I.pngeeO8xC6.png

• Like 2

Nevada Wolf Pack

Nevada's current set is a perfect encapsulation of the modern Adidas template: nothing really offensive, but nothing really exciting, either. Generic paint by the numbers look. I set out to make these a little less cookie-cutter, without getting too busy like the early 2000's style of design (though I did include these as a throwback look). 

First off, I leaned into Nevada's excellent state nickname and included "Battle Born" wordmarks on the helmet and jersey collars. Sleeve detail changes to a wolf logo, while silver is used as a trim color on the numbers and helmets. Pants and helmet both get a single stripe to break up the monochrome-ness. Finally, I incorporated the cursive "N" logo from the baseball team into the look, as I think this is more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than the current generic block N

cFGVpl9.png

TTBbqlo.png

wvjPzaw.pngO229uOF.png

• Like 2