MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

Ms are the talk of baseball, riding high on a 13-game win streak...just to get it all snuffed out by baseball's worst and most unlikeable franchise of the last 20 years.

Houston should have been given the death penalty. They shouldn't have been allowed to be good for another decade.

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Ms are the talk of baseball, riding high on a 13-game win streak...just to get it all snuffed out by baseball's worst and most unlikeable franchise of the last 20 years.

Houston should have been given the death penalty. They shouldn't have been allowed to be good for another decade.

The best part? After next weekend, Seattle doesn't see the Ass-tros for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Oh please. The Mariners have been given 20 seasons to make the playoffs. 🎻

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 2

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

MLB's "best" umpire is at it again. 

Not a fan of Angel, but he got that call correct. Machado swung. Once you swing, there's no such thing as being hit by the pitch.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I get we're division rivals, but you're that mad?! We only cheated for 3 seasons, not 20. And it's NOT a guarantee the 'Stros would hit a home run every pitch just because they knew what pitch was coming. 

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Oh please. The Mariners have been given 20 seasons to make the playoffs. 🎻

Exactly. 

EDITED for realism, it's NOT a guarentee they would have hit a home run every time with the cheating.

Edited by Kooky01
Realism
  • Like 3
  • Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1

xFUdNmt.png

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not a fan of Angel, but he got that call correct. Machado swung. Once you swing, there's no such thing as being hit by the pitch.

"Besides, that pitch was a strike."

- "Ángel"

DJ Reyburn was the home plate umpire. He was the one who pointed to first to check if Machado swung. So any props should go to him.

I saw, I came, I left.

Per Wikipedia (which matches my memory), technically, the batter needs to make an attempt to avoid the pitch, which you aren't doing if you're swinging (unless you bail at the last second, which occasionally happens if the ball curves dramatically.)  Chase Utley shouldn't have been awarded 1st base on probably over half of his HBPs, as he would lean into them rather than make any attempt to get out of the way.

Without the other angle it's tough to tell if Machado checked his swing or not, but it sure looks like the right call was made.

Official rule

Per baseball official rule 5.05(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat):

• is touched by a pitched ball outside the strike zone,
  • and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it),
  • and he did not swing at the pitch.[1]

If all these conditions are met, the ball is dead, and other baserunners advance if they are forced to vacate their base by the batter taking first. Rule 5.09(a) further clarifies that a hit by pitch is also called when a pitch touches a batter's clothing.[2]

In the case where a batter swings and the pitch hits him anyway, the ball is dead and a strike is called.[3] If the batter does not attempt to avoid the pitch, he is not awarded first base, and the pitch is ruled either a strike if in the strike zone or a ball if out of the strike zone. Umpires rarely make this call.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope they end up in a playoff series with the Blue Jays.

After the Phillies Castellanos signing (among others), I'd be worried about bringing a guy - let alone a dumb guy - into a market like NY after he's played under zero pressure and practically zero media.  You find out what people are really made of.  The players around him are so good that maybe there won't be too much pressure and scrutiny on him, but regardless of how he pans out, I'm very thankful the Phillies didn't make the move for someone like him.

EDIT: just read that he told the Yankees he'd get vaccinated if necessary, so that tells you two things - 1, he didn't care at all about the Royals and didn't believe in them, and 2, he had "principles", but they just went away once he had a chance to win baseball games.  Not a guy I want.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

After the Phillies Castellanos signing (among others), I'd be worried about bringing a guy - let alone a dumb guy - into a market like NY after he's played under zero pressure and practically zero media. 

Benintendi came up as a Red Sox, remember? Including the 2018 team, won a World Series and naive dorks like me thought we'd have an all-star outfield set for a generation, lol. He'll be fine in the spotlight unless he sucks; he was always a pretty no-fuss, no-drama, gets the job done type of player when he was here. Of course that was before players were required to do a very small, simple thing to play all their games with their team but refused to due to "personal freedom" like a stubborn dumbass six-year-old.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Benintendi came up as a Red Sox, remember? Including the 2018 team, won a World Series and naive dorks like me thought we'd have an all-star outfield set for a generation, lol. He'll be fine in the spotlight unless he sucks; he was always a pretty no-fuss, no-drama, gets the job done type of player when he was here. Of course that was before players were required to do a very small, simple thing to play all their games with their team but refused to due to "personal freedom" like a stubborn dumbass six-year-old.

I didn’t know he was a Red Sox until I just looked it up. That renders part of my statement moot. I should have done that research, so my bad, but as a casual (at best) fan of the game outside of my team, I hadn’t heard of him till his name kept coming up in trade talks. 

Castellanos is still a POS though. 

“I don’t have a college degree, I hit baseballs.”  LOL, time to enroll in college you washed up piece of overpaid trash.