MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

5 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yeah in the time I lived out there the lengths I had to go to watch the home team were incredibly frustrating. I paid the sub fees to MLB.tv watch the Reds, but M's games were blacked out. My cable package didn't have ROOT. The 30ish games I attended were the only 30ish times I watched a Mariners game, save for the few I caught in a bar. I cannot believe that's still happening there. 

M's are having this awesome season but the only way to enjoy it is paying three digits a month for cable or to go to the games.

Feels like we're stuck in a time vortex, though that's true for pretty much every decision with the Mariners. I don't think any team chases the success of 20+ years ago quite like Seattle.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

35 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

M's are having this awesome season but the only way to enjoy it is paying three digits a month for cable or to go to the games.

Feels like we're stuck in a time vortex, though that's true for pretty much every decision with the Mariners. I don't think any team chases the success of 20+ years ago quite like Seattle.

I pay $200+ for cable to watch the Cardinals on Bally Sports Midwest. No streaming service carries it. The last season (2020) of FS Midwest was still on YouTube TV and my brothers had it. But then it was dropped when they switched and it's still not on any streaming service. I'd pay for MLB.TV and share with family if it weren't for blackouts. Completely pointless unless you live out of your team's market. I'd probably watch other teams' games as well, but I'm not buying it unless I can watch my team's games.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

How does that help him WATCH the games.

Well radio is better than not having no game to enjoy at all. Besides (and feel free to disagree with me) baseball is better on the radio than the TV. 

xFUdNmt.png

1 hour ago, Kooky01 said:

Well radio is better than not having no game to enjoy at all. Besides (and feel free to disagree with me) baseball is better on the radio than the TV. 

That's cool, but I'd rather just have the game on.

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, Kooky01 said:

I'll disagree. I was cleaning my basement last night while I listened to the game on TV. It's essentially the same experience as radio, but if something happens I can look up from what I'm doing and actually see what happened. When I was a kid I fell asleep in my bed listening to baseball games on the radio, but I have very little romance for that*. I would've much rather just stayed up and watched the game. And now I can because I don't live in Seattle anymore. 

*didn't help that Marty Brennaman was a crank and Joe Nuxhall was the oldest man who'd ever lived. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love baseball on the radio but that's because I've been blessed my entire life to have Joe Castiglione doing Red Sox games.

They occasionally do him the indignity of pairing him with Lou Merloni, Sean McDonough or that one bizarre year with Chris Berman (!!). But Joe with a partner who stays out of the way is pretty close to a Scullyesque platonic ideal of baseball. 

(Also I'm not paying NESN $30/month for streaming their channel and their channel only.)

(Speaking of NESN, though I watch them rarely anyway obviously, but bummed to hear that Dennis Eckersley is retiring from TV at season's end!)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I love baseball on the radio but that's because I've been blessed my entire life to have Joe Castiglione doing Red Sox games.

They occasionally do him the indignity of pairing him with Lou Merloni, Sean McDonough or that one bizarre year with Chris Berman (!!). But Joe with a partner who stays out of the way is pretty close to a Scullyesque platonic ideal of baseball. 

(Also I'm not paying NESN $30/month for streaming their channel and their channel only.)

(Speaking of NESN, though I watch them rarely anyway obviously, but bummed to hear that Dennis Eckersley is retiring from TV at season's end!)

Eck was really the last glimmer of hope at that network. Happy to see him get to spend more time with his family and grandkids, but damn, what a loss for a booth already spiraling into obscurity. 

@DG_ThenNowForever VPN into MLB.TV, that's how I watch the Rockies.  

5 minutes ago, speedy said:

@DG_ThenNowForever VPN into MLB.TV, that's how I watch the Rockies.  

Can I do that from my Xbox? Do I have to set up a VPN at the router?

15 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Can I do that from my Xbox? Do I have to set up a VPN at the router?

I'm not sure how that one works, I do it through my PC and cast to the TV. I'm assuming it would work, though. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, McCall said:

I pay $200+ for cable to watch the Cardinals on Bally Sports Midwest. No streaming service carries it. The last season (2020) of FS Midwest was still on YouTube TV and my brothers had it. But then it was dropped when they switched and it's still not on any streaming service. I'd pay for MLB.TV and share with family if it weren't for blackouts. Completely pointless unless you live out of your team's market. I'd probably watch other teams' games as well, but I'm not buying it unless I can watch my team's games.

I'm a lifelong Twins fan living in the St. Louis area, so I'm one of those few who can justify paying for MLB.TV to watch my team of choice.  I'm also a streaming TV customer and shut out from Bally, which leaves me incredibly uninformed on the status of the team that exists just 30 miles from where I live. 

It's a weird world. 

17 hours ago, Digby said:

I have to think that, if NESN and the Bally networks have continued to stay out of combined streaming services AND invest in building out their own bespoke streamers, that suggests there are no plans for MLB.TV to lift blackout rules.

The problem with NESN's streaming service, aside from its ridiculous cost is it's of no use to me out here. It's essentially for locals only, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

1 hour ago, speedy said:

The problem with NESN's streaming service, aside from its ridiculous cost is it's of no use to me out here. It's essentially for locals only, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

You can get the Red Sox via MLB.tv if you wanted though, right? I can't imagine they actually expect anyone to pay for the Fenway dating show and the obnoxious fisherman.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Keith Hernandez said, on air, that he asked off for all games against the Phillies because they’re such a fundamentally bad defense team that he cant stand watching them play, even though he gets paid for it.

I love this so much. Sports needs so much more stuff like this!

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Harry Carey CGI shouldn't have been used for the 7th inning stretch. He did look better than Silver Valderama, and I know it's the Field of Dreams, but just have everyone sing like they do at Cincinnati since they're the home team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png