MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

So other than hitting a dinger while the idiot announcer was giving his apology, is this Castellanos guy any good?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/19/2022 at 1:17 AM, BBTV said:

So other than hitting a dinger while the idiot announcer was giving his apology, is this Castellanos guy any good?

Yes. He was the NL's right field starter in the All-Star Game last year and the silver slugger winner. Not a great glove so I assume he's your new DH. Plays with an edge, won't hold back from what he thinks in interviews, one of the few guys in the league who's got some personality.

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yes. He was the NL's right field starter in the All-Star Game last year and the silver slugger winner. Not a great glove so I assume he's your new DH. Plays with an edge, won't hold back from what he thinks in interviews, one of the few guys in the league who's got some personality.

cool. Unfortunately the Phillies lineup is full of guys that can’t field and should be DHs, so he’ll probably be forced to play in the field at least 50% of the time, if not more. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, Sport said:

Him and Schwarber's positions will be determined by who's least worse at playing the outfield.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Him and Schwarber's positions will be determined by who's least worse at playing the outfield.

Here's me just now learning about Schwarber signed with the Phillies. That's a big dumb meaty team they have there in Philly. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Here's me just now learning about Schwarber signed with the Phillies. That's a big dumb meaty team they have there in Philly. 

and it's probably worse than you even think.  They have among the worst defensive LF, CF, 3B, 1B, and SS in the league.  When they announced the DH in the NL, everyone was rejoicing that they could hide some of these guys at DH, then they sign these two guys.

Guess they're counting on winning every non-Zack Wheeler start by a score of 11-10.

When asked by NBC Sports Philadelphia that Phillies were willing to go over the luxury tax for him, Nick Castellanos said "A lot of respect, at the end of the day baseball comes down to ownership. The owner either wants invest and cares about winning or doesnt. It speaks a lot to who he is." A dig at Reds owner Bob Castellini in my opinion. Sell the team Bob

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

I don't get why it takes so long to get these guys into camp.  Castellanos was signed on Friday, but isn't going to be in camp till at least Wednesday.  Schwarber was a similar situation.  I get they need physicals before the deals can be made official, but that shouldn't take long, and since they were FAs, they should have their affairs in order since they knew they were going to be moving.  

Basically, I just want to know what numbers the new guys are going to be wearing, and that desire outweighs any needs that they have on their end.  Schwarber took 12, which is a lousy number in the Phillies font.  I'm assuming Castellanos is going to go with 22 since 2 is taken by an established player.  

Also, it really bothers me that all the uncultured Philly dolts are already calling him "Caste la nos", rather than "Caste ya nos".  Just like when some idiot named Vince Velasquez played here, and they'd call him "Velas qwez".  It's embarassing.  Living in a very multi cultural area, understanding common digraphs shouldn't require a graduate degree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dilbert said:

When asked by NBC Sports Philadelphia that Phillies were willing to go over the luxury tax for him, Nick Castellanos said "A lot of respect, at the end of the day baseball comes down to ownership. The owner either wants invest and cares about winning or doesnt. It speaks a lot to who he is." A dig at Reds owner Bob Castellini in my opinion. Sell the team Bob

One of my least favorite vocal participants in Reds twitter was going on and on last night about how "you don't know that he was talking about the Reds. He could've been talking about 1/3 of the league after being in free agency and having his options limited." That's a very generous interpretation, but either he's speaking specifically about the Reds (I believe he was) or he's talking about at least a third of baseball, which would also include the Reds. Neither reading of his words is a good look for the team he just left who didn't put in a serious offer for him or put together a serious sales pitch by trading half of his former good teammates. Also knowing the way Castellanos answers questions, I have to assume he was talking about Bob Castellini. And that's one of the reasons I'll miss him.

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's pathetic that the Phillies are one of only what - 3 teams? - over the luxury tax and are probably 3rd in their division and will be fighting for a spot in the expanded playoffs.  Their halcyon days were fueled by young-controllable (relatively cheap) talent, now they've developed so few players that they're paying >$230M to field a team that's not even a lock for the 6th seed.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

It's pathetic that the Phillies are one of only what - 3 teams? - over the luxury tax and are probably 3rd in their division and will be fighting for a spot in the expanded playoffs.  Their halcyon days were fueled by young-controllable (relatively cheap) talent, now they've developed so few players that they're paying >$230M to field a team that's not even a lock for the 6th seed.

Yeah, wasn't their whole "rebuild" after 2011 to basically right the ship after they had such a bad farm system during they're successful run, so they needed to set up some long term sustainability? And now, they're spending all this money on players... because they have such a bad farm system?

Just an outsider's perspective. Or am I off-base with that analysis?

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Yeah, wasn't their whole "rebuild" after 2011 to basically right the ship after they had such a bad farm system during they're successful run, so they needed to set up some long term sustainability? And now, they're spending all this money on players... because they have such a bad farm system?

Just an outsider's perspective. Or am I off-base with that analysis?

'12 and '13 they still expected to be good, and for years after that, they were too loyal to their aging players and held on too long.  The "righting the ship" didn't really start to happen until '16 or '17 when they hired some 30-year-old analytics dbag as GM, who destroyed the team and the farm system even worse than it was.  Then they signed Harper and decided to trade basically the only minor league talent they had left to get JT Realmuto, and then the cupboard was truly bare.

They've gotten lucky that a few guys that weren't prospects got called up out of necessity and ended up playing OK, but they're totally in a situation where they have to buy their way out of a mess that was born out of 1) their willingness to trade prospects to pick up stars to keep their 07-11 run going (which I'm cool with), and 2) their unwillingness to accept that it was over until 5 years after it was over.

For anyone who cares, Castellanos will be switching to #8.

2 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

The bottom 4 teams should be ashamed of themselves… 

Those bottom two are especially egregious.

Baseball is so broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Those bottom two are especially egregious.

Baseball is so broken.

It won't happen, but they should be forced to sell the team. They obviously don't care to compete, and are a waste of time for those fanbases to invest in. A Salary floor and cap is desperately needed in this league, but neither side will ever go for it. 

• Like 2