2022 NFL Jersey Number Changes

DCarp1231

On 4/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, guest23 said:

nothing worse than team proprietary block for the sake of proprietary block...supplier specific is cool because it was organic nike fonts are sooooo forced.

I'd disagree. Having a team specific font isn't a bad idea, it just needs to be a good font at the end of the day. Atlanta has failed this go around, and Tampa Bay's previous font was horrendous. Teams now tend to want something that is solely there's and that's what we get from Nike, adidas and Puma. Manufacturers each have their own bespoke fonts, but if all of the Nike schools only had the option to pick from what's offered in the teamwear section we'd be complaining that too many teams look alike, but only if they weren't using the standard block font. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd disagree. Having a team specific font isn't a bad idea, it just needs to be a good font at the end of the day. Atlanta has failed this go around, and Tampa Bay's previous font was horrendous. Teams now tend to want something that is solely there's and that's what we get from Nike, adidas and Puma. Manufacturers each have their own bespoke fonts, but if all of the Nike schools only had the option to pick from what's offered in the teamwear section we'd be complaining that too many teams look alike, but only if they weren't using the standard block font. 

Please reread my quote. I am referring to team specific/proprietary block (eg az cards, last gen vikes, browns etc) and you are choosing to discuss all custom fonts. There's a reason why so many teams wore/wear and continue to go back to block fonts as the default for US based sports for so long. It's easy on the eye, legible and looks good with just about every uniform design.

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Please reread my quote. I am referring to team specific/proprietary block (eg az cards, last gen vikes, browns etc) and you are choosing to discuss all custom fonts. There's a reason why so many teams wore/wear and continue to go back to block fonts as the default for US based sports for so long. It's easy on the eye, legible and looks good with just about every uniform design.

I'm pointing out that teams are going with team specific fonts because they don't want to pick a random font out of the catalog. Teams wore block fonts because that was what was most available, not because they liked the way it looked. It's the same reason soccer uniforms in England had the same number style until the 1980's when teams started screen pressing numbers, availability. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm pointing out that teams are going with team specific fonts because they don't want to pick a random font out of the catalog. Teams wore block fonts because that was what was most available, not because they liked the way it looked. It's the same reason soccer uniforms in England had the same number style until the 1980's when teams started screen pressing numbers, availability. 

Block numerals are functional and aesthetically pleasing. Non-block has come in and out of favour aesthetically since sports started using numbers but block continues to endure. Your reasoning does not align with history as there are enough examples that illustrate the availability of non-block. If there was demand, teams (especially pro) had the option to do so.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Block numerals are functional and aesthetically pleasing. Non-block has come in and out of favour aesthetically since sports started using numbers but block continues to endure. Your reasoning does not align with history as there are enough examples that illustrate the availability of non-block. If there was demand, teams (especially pro) had the option to do so.

Sometimes demand is determined by availability as well. It's why Ford vehicles were available in any color you'd like, as long as that color is black.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

59 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You write a post stating that you don't like propietery block fonts, I ask if you have examples, and you ask of what?

Okay.

Allow me to clarify for what I thought was quite obvious:

BAD team specific block: az cards, farve era vikes, browns current etc.

GOOD supplier block: sand knit, wilson, russsell athletic, champion, mcaullife, whoever did unc bb during the jordan era etc.

47 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

FPiECInXIAUvyLk?format=jpg&name=large

Also, they forgot the sleeve detail in their own graphic for some reason.

I didn’t even notice until you mentioned it. I’m sure the graphics team did the same.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Allow me to clarify for what I thought was quite obvious:

BAD team specific block: az cards, farve era vikes, browns current etc.

GOOD supplier block: sand knit, wilson, russsell athletic, champion, mcaullife, whoever did unc bb during the jordan era etc.

Well, no, your clearly subjective opinion on what's a bad block font is not going to be "quite obvious" (even if I happen to agree with a couple of your examples).

So, if I'm understanding what you're saying... if a block font was created by a traditional manufacturer, and is available to anyone with access to their catalog, it's inherently better than a block font created specifically for a single team?  I mean... I'm as big of a grumpy old traditionalist as just about anyone on this site, and that seems out there even to me. 

(BTW, I may be misreading the tone of your replies, but it feels to me like you're being oddly testy about being questioned on this.  I'm not trying to pick a fight... I'm genuinely trying to understand where you're coming from on this.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

12 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Block font slightly different from the normal is a perfect way to make it hard for counterfeits, which I'm sure has a non-zero factor into a redesign

Why do you think that? These fonts (and patches) aren't like the security features in a $100 bill.

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why do you think that? These fonts (and patches) aren't like the security features in a $100 bill.

Yet counterfeiters still get them wrong every time, and knockoffs are very easy to spot as a result.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Yet counterfeiters still get them wrong every time, and knockoffs are very easy to spot as a result.

Right. The point is, if the deviation from a standard manufacturer block is small, the counterfeiter is probably not going to bother. Average fan in the street wouldn't know or probably care. Back when the Vikings had their previous uniform, with the dopey bubble edges on an otherwise standard font, you'd see as many wrongly numbered jerseys as you would authentic. Plus, the NFL would prefer you get your jersey customized by someone authorized, instead of the local mom and pop print shop.

• Like 2