Team logos that are "forever done"

NBA. Uniforms are kind of a tough call here since all the Nike vomit means that all teams are wearing meme jerseys for about a third of their schedule... I'm doing this with only "primary" uniforms in mind. 

Never changing (bar minor tweaks): Celtics, Bulls, Heat

Logo/general identity here to stay, but uniforms will be "updated" semi-regularly: 76ers, Knicks, Lakers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Mavericks, Trail Blazers, Hornets, Pistons, Pacers

Will likely change/overhaul again in the next 5-10 years: Hawks, Jazz, Nuggets, Magic, Rockets, Clippers, Suns, Timberwolves, Kings, Wizards, Raptors

Wildcards (might keep their branding for the long haul, might go off and do something crazy tomorrow): Spurs, Thunder, Bucks, Nets, Cavs

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:13 PM, sitboaf said:

Brewers - a return to the "mb glove" seemed as unavoidable as gravity. Will they ever dare leave again?

I think at most, they introduce an alternative mark based on the block M. But no way do they ever move away from the glove again.

11 hours ago, who do you think said:

NBA. Uniforms are kind of a tough call here since all the Nike vomit means that all teams are wearing meme jerseys for about a third of their schedule... I'm doing this with only "primary" uniforms in mind. 

Logo/general identity here to stay, but uniforms will be "updated" semi-regularly: 76ers, Knicks, Lakers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Mavericks, Trail Blazers, Hornets, Pistons, Pacers

Will likely change/overhaul again in the next 5-10 years: Hawks, Jazz, Nuggets, Magic, Rockets, Clippers, Suns, Timberwolves, Kings, Wizards, Raptors

Wildcards (might keep their branding for the long haul, might go off and do something crazy tomorrow): Spurs, Thunder, Bucks, Nets, Cavs

This is a fine assessment. I did not dare to speculate about the NBA. Firstly, because it's the big four sport I follow least, and secondly, the league is becoming more and more merchandise driven. It is closer to some futbol leagues now, constantly adding new uniforms while exploring new branding. Who's to say, 10 years, and 5 looks from now, the 76ers don't stumble onto something that usurps their iconic 76 number lockup?  Or maybe their logo gets left alone and everything around it changes. There's just too many variables being added in the NBA to be sure about much of anything. I can totally see that league "pulling a Bieber" and introducing 30 hip-hop, country, and pop music jerseys in 2027. 

20 hours ago, who do you think said:

The Spurs should be in the first or second category.

23 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

NFL: (minus minor tweaks)

Bills

Browns

Steelers

Colts

Chiefs

Raiders

Cowboys

Bears

Lions

Packers

Vikings

Saints

Cardinals

49ers

Cardinals and Lions will change in the next 5-10 years. Count on it.

53 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Cardinals and Lions will change in the next 5-10 years. Count on it.

Uniforms, yes.  Logos?  The Cardinals have had their logo for 70+ years.  The Lions have had theirs for 60+ years.  Sure, they've been tweaked a bit over the years, but they're still basically the same.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Echo said:

Uniforms, yes.  Logos?  The Cardinals have had their logo for 70+ years.  The Lions have had theirs for 60+ years.  Sure, they've been tweaked a bit over the years, but they're still basically the same.

So just in terms of logos? Got it. 
@Bruhammydude’s list still needs the

• Giants
  • Ravens
  • Panthers
  • Chargers
  • Patriots

Good timing, all. I also have been meaning to do the NFL next.

One point I didn't really mention earlier: As I make all these assumptions of brands being settled in this age of so much changing merchandise: there is now LESS of a need for teams to overhaul the brand. If organizations continue to be allowed to have throwbacks, alternates, city editions, etc etc, and people will still buy those things, it takes the pressure off a team to overhaul its brand. So, while I predict we will see many more alternate looks, innovations in fabrics and textures, I think main branding elements will remain stable. 

Again, this is barring team relocations and new ownership, which can blow things up real fast. Anyhoo... the NFL:

Arizona Cardinals: 52 years and counting. DONE

Atlanta Falcons: Moderate tweak is now 19 years old. Basic idea has never changed. DONE

Baltimore Ravens: 23 years of the raven head. But it's a bird head, and not where they started. Going to go out on a limb and say this is a MAYBE. 

Buffalo Bills: 48 years. DONE

Carolina Panthers: 27 years. DONE

Chicago Bears: so DONE

Cincinnati Bengals: 18 years of the B. But this can't be where they stop. We want a kitty. WILL CHANGE

Cleveland Browns: Not a real logo. And colored "not brown".  Not the original franchise. But 52 years of orange helmet is enough evidence. DONE

Dallas Cowboys: DONE

Denver Broncos: The old D seems nearly as iconic as the current logo, 26 years later. WILL CHANGE 

Detroit Lions: 52 years. DONE

Green Bay Packers: DONE

Houston Texans: People hate on this logo, but 20 years makes it seem stable. MAYBE

Indianapolis Colts: DONE

Jacksonville Jaguars: ha! They may move before they swap the logo, but nothing here seems permanent. WILL CHANGE

Kansas City Chiefs: above my pay grade. But FWIW, it's ugly. UNSURE

Las Vegas Raiders: DONE

Los Angeles Chargers: You know what? It's hard to do a good lightning bolt. And this one is pretty good. Boring, but been around forever. I thought that maybe they'd try to resuscitate their AFL "shield/horsey/bolt" some day, but that treads on rival Denver's territory. The bigger question is "will either LA team ever leave light blue and yellow? Or will someone leave town first?" I guess DONE?

Los Angeles Rams: New logo is well-made, but lacks personality. WILL CHANGE

Miami Dolphins: Basically unchanged for 56 years. DONE

Minnesota Vikings: Basically unchanged for 61 years. DONE

New England Patriots: Flying Elvis is looking dated and will leave the building before too long. WILL CHANGE

New Orleans Saints: 55 years and only a color swap. DONE

New York Giants: 61 years ago, the "ny" came into being. The 1976-99 "GIANTS" was a monstrosity, IMO. They've gone back to the ny. And I think they'll keep it this time. DONE

New York Jets: Have gone back to their "football within a football" logo and have had it for  39 of their 59 years. They might add a plane icon back in there, but otherwise DONE

Philadelphia Eagles: 26 years of the current bird head. Still looks fresh. DONE

Pittsburgh Steelers: so DONE

San Francisco 49ers: 54 years of the "SF Oval". DONE

Seattle Seahawks: Basically unchanged since day 1. DONE

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Quarter century of the Skull Flag probably means DONE

Tennessee Titans: 25 years in Tennessee, 23 with the same Titans logo. I'm sorry, but it's too ugly and outdated to last much longer. WILL CHANGE

Washington Commanders: Too new to make a call. Do people even like it? Will Dan Snyder ever sell the team? UNSURE

On 3/31/2022 at 9:03 PM, who do you think said:

I'd put the Mavs in the "likely to change again" category.  Their look is solidly stuck in the 00's... and will probably get another overhaul (as it should).
The Bulls so badly need a new logo.  I know it's iconic (thanks, MJ), but it's one of the worst primary logos in all of sports, imo.  

I can't imagine a world in which the Spurs go off an do something crazy.  They're going to be black and silver with a Spur logo forever, imo.  And a splash of fiesta colors here and there.

I also imagine we'll get rebrand of the Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, and Hornets before toooo long.  Nothing they have is so iconic it can't be changed... and in the NBA that usually means it will.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, DrJack said:

I'd put the Mavs in the "likely to change again" category.  Their look is solidly stuck in the 00's... and will probably get another overhaul (as it should).
The Bulls so badly need a new logo.  I know it's iconic (thanks, MJ), but it's one of the worst primary logos in all of sports, imo.  

I can't imagine a world in which the Spurs go off an do something crazy.  They're going to be black and silver with a Spur logo forever, imo.  And a splash of fiesta colors here and there.

I also imagine we'll get rebrand of the Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, and Hornets before toooo long.  Nothing they have is so iconic it can't be changed... and in the NBA that usually means it will.

If the Mavs were going to overhaul I feel like they would have done it by now.  I think that they think their current logo and colors will stand the test of time.

I can't shake the feeling that the Spurs are gonna do something stupid now that their playoff dynasty is solidly over and they're just another franchise. Like bringing back the fiesta colors and actually incorporating them into their primary jerseys.

I highly doubt the Warriors do a total rebrand for quite some time, their recent success has probably legitimized the franchise and that blue/gold bay bridge look in much the same way the Jordan era did for the Bulls. Keep in mind that the annual 2-3 Nike clownsuits means that there will still be plenty of novelty crap they can still sell without having to depart from their "main" identity. Can't see Charlotte doing a significant rebrand after all the history gore that was made to get them back in teal and purple as the Hornets. The Pelicans have a really solid look as is, no reason to mess with it and I'm not sure anyone in the organization with clout even cares enough to mess with it. As for the Grizzlies, see the Mavs. I think they have looked horrendous ever since they rolled out that faded double-blue brand, but they've kept it for this long while other teams have gone through 2-3 other major changes since, so they're probably committed to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Logo-wise: (note that this doesn't mean what I want to happen, just what I suspect)

rKR1qB9.png

Move Carolina, Atlanta, and Detroit into the toss up category if not inevitable  change. Eagles are decades lasting. IF that allows for color tweaking.

It's where I sit.

14 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Logo-wise: (note that this doesn't mean what I want to happen, just what I suspect)

rKR1qB9.png

Not sure what leads you to believe the Dolphins or Cardinals might change. Going back into the 60s, we have a handful of small tweaks and 1 modernization (Miami in 2013). Those 2 seem pretty locked in. 

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Cleveland's logo is not changing, like, ever.

I don't hate their logo, but I could see them adopting a Brownie the Elf primary mark.

2 hours ago, sitboaf said:

Not sure what leads you to believe the Dolphins or Cardinals might change. Going back into the 60s, we have a handful of small tweaks and 1 modernization (Miami in 2013). Those 2 seem pretty locked in. 

I can see a major recolor (desert cardinal) for Arizona and a revert back to the Helmet-wearing Dolphin, both of which I consider more than tweaks.

fiowXOD.png

17 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Move Carolina, Atlanta, and Detroit into the toss up category if not inevitable  change. Eagles are decades lasting. IF that allows for color tweaking.

I doubt the Panthers' logo ever receives more than tweaks - the jerseys are sadly a different story.

the user formerly known as cdclt