Team logos that are "forever done"

On 4/9/2022 at 11:24 PM, who do you think said:

If the Mavs were going to overhaul I feel like they would have done it by now.  I think that they think their current logo and colors will stand the test of time.

I can't shake the feeling that the Spurs are gonna do something stupid now that their playoff dynasty is solidly over and they're just another franchise. Like bringing back the fiesta colors and actually incorporating them into their primary jerseys.

I highly doubt the Warriors do a total rebrand for quite some time, their recent success has probably legitimized the franchise and that blue/gold bay bridge look in much the same way the Jordan era did for the Bulls. Keep in mind that the annual 2-3 Nike clownsuits means that there will still be plenty of novelty crap they can still sell without having to depart from their "main" identity. Can't see Charlotte doing a significant rebrand after all the history gore that was made to get them back in teal and purple as the Hornets. The Pelicans have a really solid look as is, no reason to mess with it and I'm not sure anyone in the organization with clout even cares enough to mess with it. As for the Grizzlies, see the Mavs. I think they have looked horrendous ever since they rolled out that faded double-blue brand, but they've kept it for this long while other teams have gone through 2-3 other major changes since, so they're probably committed to it.

I'd argue the Mavs logo and colors have not withstood the test of time.  They look dated today.  But regardless, they're not a franchise that has had many changes in their history (once every 20 years or so), but I think their due for the next one.

I'm not suggesting the Hornets will do a major "rebrand", but I could definitely see them overhaul their look again.  I consider this a major overhaul:

nvXAKij.png

And I could definitely imagine another one of the same level (same colors, same name, new look) happening in the next 10 years.
I feel the same way about the Grizzlies and the Pelicans. Both franchises have a good thing going, but that's usually not enough to keep middling franchises from trying to fix what isn't necessarily broke.  They'll do "something big" someday, their identity isn't "done".

I'm less certain about the Warriors, but something about their current branding doesn't feel like it's going to age well.  They've already updated the fonts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack said:

I'd argue the Mavs logo and colors have not withstood the test of time.  They look dated today.  But regardless, they're not a franchise that has had many changes in their history (once every 20 years or so), but I think their due for the next one.

I'm not suggesting the Hornets will do a major "rebrand", but I could definitely see them overhaul their look again.  I consider this a major overhaul:

nvXAKij.png

And I could definitely imagine another one of the same level (same colors, same name, new look) happening in the next 10 years.
I feel the same way about the Grizzlies and the Pelicans. Both franchises have a good thing going, but that's usually not enough to keep middling franchises from trying to fix what isn't necessarily broke.  They'll do "something big" someday, their identity isn't "done".

I'm less certain about the Warriors, but something about their current branding doesn't feel like it's going to age well.  They've already updated the fonts.

As long as Mark Cuban has a say, the Mavericks likely won’t change. His “cool blue jeans” demeanor probably hasn’t changed much.

I agree with the Hornets, Grizzles and Pelicans. They don’t need to, but it’s likely going to happen soon.

The Warriors are going to try to change again, as these current jerseys (which kinda are a modern version of their classic “The City” jersey) are tied to closely to the Steph Curry era. When he retires, expect a branding refresh within 5 years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, sitboaf said:

You may well be right about the Pens, Islanders and Devils.

I've felt the Devils logo has been outdated for about 20 years now, but they show no signs of alteration, so...

The Pens reverted to the cartoony bird from Robo Penguin in 99, but a lot of people still love that 90s look, so that's why I feel unsure.

Islanders have flirted with change, but never really commit to it. I wonder how soon they will try again.

I mentioned the Leafs because they have had a realistic looking leaf logo for half their existence, and a simplified, geometric leaf for the other half. I much prefer their current logo, and I hope they keep this design for a long time, but there's 5 decades of something else clogging up their history.

The Bruins have had their spoked B for 73 years, and their color scheme for 88 years. All the changes recently have been to third and specialty jerseys, and I don't see the team adopting any of their ugly bear designs as a main look.

As long as Lemieux is still connected to the Franchise, I highly doubt that dead pos pigeon robo thing comes back. I know it's popular with the youngsters (us old timers loathe it and are glad the Skating Penguin came back) but the New(er) Skating Penguin has 3 Cups attached to it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add Miami Heat to forever done. Their look has been consistent across the board since the 1999 - 2000 Season. The only major changes aside from a new stadium is a new uniform.

spacer.png

Example of Uniform used since 2000:

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 3/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, sitboaf said:

Wouldn't be surprised by a change, but these may yet last for decades:

Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames,  Carolina Hurricanes, New Jersey Devils, Minnesota Wild, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, Seattle Kraken, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Vegas Golden Knights.

Of course, relocation or a change in ownership can vaporize any team's identity fast, but barring those events, I wondered if you all might have similar thoughts.

I would put the Sabres, Flames and Golden Knights in the "For Sure Forever Done" category. Both the Sabres and the Flames finally learned the lesson, "If it's not broken, don't fix it".  They even took their classic crests up another level by adding extra embroidery to reveal hidden details. This is one of the positive trends in pro sports branding. The Golden Knights nailed their crest like a Mike Bossy-shot-on-goal - threaded the needle on the first shot. Any change to their look is a step back.

I would put the Canucks in the "Change Seems Like It Will Come Sooner Than Later" category. With the ever-growing popularity of the Skate logo, it is highly possible that the Skate takes over from the highly unpopular and corporately-inspired Orca as the primary crest The players, coaches and several people in the organization love it as well as the majority of the fans. It's already rumoured that the black Skate jersey will take over next season as the team's 3rd jersey. If done properly and with a "little" cleaning up, there's no reason why a recoloured Skate cannot take over as the Canucks' primary crest.

On 5/1/2022 at 3:28 AM, FroBroStudio said:

I'll add Miami Heat to forever done. Their look has been consistent across the board since the 1999 - 2000 Season. The only major changes aside from a new stadium is a new uniform.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have to agree with this. Their identity is a modern classic... and being a consistent playoff contender for over half their existence has help their brand recognition. The only thing I would or could see them do is update the uniform template (moving away from the wishbone collar like the Lakers did).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Oilers could do better than a stuck in the early 70s logo--btu too much baggage with it for fans--so they are probably stuck with it.

• Like 4

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

15 hours ago, Stampman said:

The Oilers could do better than a stuck in the early 70s logo--btu too much baggage with it for fans--so they are probably stuck with it.

Genuine question - can they?  At this point I feel like the Oilers are on the same level as the Flyers, where the out-of-date and pretty cheesy logo they have has been in use for so long that anything new would stick out like a sore thumb.  More than that, how can you create a logo for a team called the Flyers or Oilers without getting into even cheesier, clip art-like territory?

• Like 4

spacer.png

I guess I’d have to disagree that the Flyers have a clip-art like logo. It definitely has a 70s vibe to it, but it’s a pretty decent logo. And it’s definitely not cheesy…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

21 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Genuine question - can they?  At this point I feel like the Oilers are on the same level as the Flyers, where the out-of-date and pretty cheesy logo they have has been in use for so long that anything new would stick out like a sore thumb.  More than that, how can you create a logo for a team called the Flyers or Oilers without getting into even cheesier, clip art-like territory?

It's a good point. It seems like teams in baseball and basketball have an easier time getting by with branding that doesn't require some literal representation of the name. But that's a lot harder to do in hockey and football, where helmet (football) and jersey (hockey) designs are far more logo dependent. I'm sure the Oilers could build a brand around wordmarks or type -- maybe stealing Ottawa's thunder and lean into the "O" -- if they really wanted to. It would be dumb, but they could do it without resorting to oil-inspired clip art.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, Crabcake said:

They tried this already:

oilers.png

• Hurl 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 6/4/2022 at 10:57 PM, Stampman said:

Genuine question - should they? I don't really see a compelling reason to change it. It may look out-of-date, but that's part of the charm and somewhat what makes the logo so good - recognizability. The Celtics' logo is out-of-date. So is the Chiefs'. Calgary's logo screams 1980s. But they are all recognizable. Even casual fans of all 3 sports would instantly know what teams those are.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:28 AM, FroBroStudio said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Was that Wade's rookie season?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that there's a big difference between logos that are "out of date" and logos that are "of their time." The Flyers logo is certainly of its time, but I don't think it could be considered out of date (although there is some minor line work that could be done to perfect the classic logo).

• Like 5