Loyola of New Orleans -- what a joke of a logo...

So, as most of you know, I (mostly) grew up in  and live in metro New Orleans. 

As such, I am quite familiar with Loyola University of New Orleans, located right next to Tulane University in beautiful Uptown.  Even went to one semester of law school at Loyola (big mistake, but that's another story).

And as a logo geek from way back, I of course knew that Loyola's athletic teams had been known as the Wolfpack.  I say "had been" because when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s Loyola no longer had ANY intercollegiate athletic teams. 

Some time in the 1990s, they began some athletics again at the NAIA level, most notably baseball and basketball.   I never paid much attention to them,  and neither did the local sports media. This is, after all, NAIA we're talking about.

Well, the other day the local media spread the news that the basketball team was playing for the NAIA championship,  and it was going to be on TV (ESPN 3, of course).  So to support the home team, daughter #1 and I decided to watch.

I was unprepared for this monstrosity of a sports logo that I saw on unis, coaches' gear, and TV graphics:

spacer.png

I mean, seriously?  Who is responsible for this travesty?

I guess I am really just talking about the wolf-- the arched  "Loyola" with the smaller "New Orleans" is not bad at all (and was what was presented on the jersey front); it's just that profile wolf head looks like bad clip art, or something from an old video game, or a Nickelodeon Channel cartoon from the late 1990s. 

I wonder if the folks in charge know how bad it is.  I guess that ignorance is bliss in this case; as no one in town really talks about Loyola athletics and you see no one around town repping this logo on merch.

But man, if I were a student, or alum, or especially an athlete from there I'd be embarrassed by that.

Thoughts?

It is what it is.

Yeah, that is pretty bad.  They would be much better off just keep the wordmark and using a non-arched version of the L as the logo.

It would need to be straight instead of italicized to avoid looking like this Lafayette College secondary/helmet logo.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Yeah, that is pretty bad.  They would be much better off just keep the wordmark and using a non-arched version of the L as the logo.

It would need to be straight instead of italicized to avoid looking like this Lafayette College secondary/helmet logo.

spacer.png

Four outlines plus a beveled edge?  That is.....something.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

The perspective is weird to me. Like the back half seems like a flat 2D, side profile....but then the snout and the far ear makes it seem semi 3/4 view. It's like someone's pushing on his head from the other side towards the viewer.

• Like 4

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

A post with @B-Rich mentioning New Orleans and @leopard88 mentioning Lafayette College? I'm only "needs stripes" and "today we are all _____" away from bingo! I kid 😁

I have nothing else to add to this post except: that the wolf logo is indeed pretty bad; and I also had the opportunity earlier this season to announce some men's and women's basketball games at Loyno, but I turned it down (a 2-hour drive round trip meant I'd essentially be breaking even after getting paid). Now I wish I would've done at least one of them - announcing for a national champion, even if it's NAIA, would've been pretty cool.

• Like 4

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

22 hours ago, B-Rich said:

So, as most of you know, I (mostly) grew up in  and live in metro New Orleans. 

As such, I am quite familiar with Loyola University of New Orleans, located right next to Tulane University in beautiful Uptown.  Even went to one semester of law school at Loyola (big mistake, but that's another story).

And as a logo geek from way back, I of course knew that Loyola's athletic teams had been known as the Wolfpack.  I say "had been" because when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s Loyola no longer had ANY intercollegiate athletic teams. 

Some time in the 1990s, they began some athletics again at the NAIA level, most notably baseball and basketball.   I never paid much attention to them,  and neither did the local sports media. This is, after all, NAIA we're talking about.

Well, the other day the local media spread the news that the basketball team was playing for the NAIA championship,  and it was going to be on TV (ESPN 3, of course).  So to support the home team, daughter #1 and I decided to watch.

I was unprepared for this monstrosity of a sports logo that I saw on unis, coaches' gear, and TV graphics:

spacer.png

I mean, seriously?  Who is responsible for this travesty?

I guess I am really just talking about the wolf-- the arched  "Loyola" with the smaller "New Orleans" is not bad at all (and was what was presented on the jersey front); it's just that profile wolf head looks like bad clip art, or something from an old video game, or a Nickelodeon Channel cartoon from the late 1990s. 

I wonder if the folks in charge know how bad it is.  I guess that ignorance is bliss in this case; as no one in town really talks about Loyola athletics and you see no one around town repping this logo on merch.

But man, if I were a student, or alum, or especially an athlete from there I'd be embarrassed by that.

Thoughts?

No Whammy's!! No Whammy's!!!!

• Huh? 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

A post with @B-Rich mentioning New Orleans and @leopard88 mentioning Lafayette College? I'm only "needs stripes" and "today we are all _____" away from bingo! I kid 😁

Easy there, Winthrop Boy!  

😛

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 hours ago, Burmy said:

I agree...as America's only Catholic HBCU, Loyola NOLA deserves to be better known (and a FAR more solid brand than whatever this is).

Close - you're thinking of Xavier New Orleans. Loyola is (rather obviously) a Catholic university, but isn't an HBCU.

• Like 4

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 1 month later...