2022 International Soccer

MJWalker45

Meanwhile, in the Europa League...

-Tottenham Hotspur blew the doors off of Maccabi Haifa 7-2

-AC Milan had to survive PK's against Portuguese side Rio Ave to move on.

-Rangers defeated Galatasaray

The group stage draw for the Europa League was today...

Group A - Roma, Young Boys, CFR Cluj, CSKA Sofia

Group B - Arsenal, Rapid Wien, Molde, Dundalk

Group C - Bayern Leverkusen, Slavia Prague, Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Nice

Group D - Benfica, Standard Liege, Rangers, Lech Poznan

Group E - PSV, PAOK, Granada, Omonoia

Group F - Napoli, Real Sociedad, AZ Alkmaar, Rijeka

Group G - Braga, Leicester City, AEK, Zorya Luhansk

Group H - Celtic, Sparta Prague, AC Milan, Llilles

Group I - Villareal, Qarabag, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Sivasspor

Group J - Tottenham Hotspur, Ludogorets, LASK, Antwerp

Group K - CSKA Moscow, Dynamo Zagreb, Feyenoord, Wolfsberger

Group L - Gent, Red Star Belgrade, 1899 Hoffenheim, Slovan Liberec

11 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Did they? I could easily see Leipzig getting out of that group ahead of them.

Unless PSG all party the night before both group games I can't see United beating them twice, which is what they may need to do to make 2nd in that group. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

58 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

Anybody want to check on Liverpool? Or is Villa just that good

At least United was down a man. Was there sort of lunar event no one's talking about?

4 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

Oh Man U... one step forward, two steps back. 

Quick reminder Harry Maguire is currently the most expensive defender of all time. 

Maguire set up the first Spurs goal by tackling his own man after making the softest header back to DeGea. Maybe should have sent him on loan instead of . . . Just send him on loan anyways. Maybe to Greece.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Everton and Aston Villa of all sides sitting above a pile of rubble... this is going to be a fun season. We’ve seen both city and Liverpool melt down and none of the top six seem very stable at the moment. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

It does genuinely surprise me that more matches don’t end up like the ones we got today, when there’s such a correlation in this sport between score and tactics (e.g., that more trailing teams don’t go for it and get repeatedly burned like I do when I get behind in FIFA).

This Villa team has absolutely zero depth and will cave in like a house of cards when that becomes an actual problem, but I’m going to enjoy them being plausibly good in the meantime.

6fQjS3M.png

12 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

It does genuinely surprise me that more matches don’t end up like the ones we got today, when there’s such a correlation in this sport between score and tactics (e.g., that more trailing teams don’t go for it and get repeatedly burned like I do when I get behind in FIFA).

This Villa team has absolutely zero depth and will cave in like a house of cards when that becomes an actual problem, but I’m going to enjoy them being plausibly good in the meantime.

I guess that's why the majority of EPL teams voted down using 5 subs this year. It obviously had a role in Manchester United doing so well at the restart. If it carried over I think you would have seen better results for Man United, City and Arsenal. I also wonder if Liverpool's issues yesterday could be fatigue or illness. I think that's part of the issues for Manchester United, in addition to some dumb personal decisions by players and personnel issues by Woodward and Judge. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/story/4200873/arsenal-axe-gunnersaurus-in-bid-to-save-money-amid-pandemic

Arsenal have sacked their mascot due to profit loss

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/story/4201006/barcelona-announce-total-debt-has-doubled-to-488m-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Barcelona have been losing money big time but still couldn't be talked into selling Messi to City. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Kind of ado about nothing, really, but I'm just going to say that Ferencvaros is playing in the group stage of the Champions League for the first time in 25 years, and they're drawn into a group with Barcelona and Juventus at that...of course, with COVID, it's exceedingly unlikely attendance will be permitted to be all that large for either of their home games against those two European super clubs.

The reason I mention this being my Father, who is from Budapest and grew up a Ferencvaros fan during the '60s, and is actually in Budapest again right now visiting some of his family over the next couple months or so. He says his brother is a big fan of the club as well, and I'm sure he would've (and maybe still will with the scraps that are there) tried anything to go to one of those games. Ferencvaros faced Inter in 1965 and faced both Real Madrid and Ajax in the group stage in 1995, but they haven't faced many high profile teams, and certainly no super club profile teams, since then.

Just a bit of a bummer to think about, I guess. Hopefully they work their way through the labyrinth of the qualifying rounds again next year (that is, if they win the Hungarian league) but it's hard not to think they were beneficiaries of the one-legged system this year and would have a much harder time of it again trying to get through on two-legs next time, whenever that is. Because, even though they'll probably get absolutely smashed, facing top level European clubs in their stadium is something that just doesn't happen very often in Hungary and it's unfortunate that the year it actually happens, a proper atmosphere won't be possible for those games. The real win for those fans is just seeing those clubs in your stadium to begin with.

• Like 3

spacer.png

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12101655/premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-propose-major-changes-to-english-football

Liverpool, backed by Manchester United, have suggested reducing the Premier League to 18 teams and scrapping the League Cup. Those are miniscule compared to the bigger points:

One of the most appealing parts for some EFL clubs may be 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and EFL revenues going to EFL clubs, with an advance of up to £250m being made available early to help during the pandemic. The proposed changes would put the majority of the power into the hands of the biggest clubs, ending the division's current one-club, one-vote system. The plan calls for the nine clubs with the longest continued presence in the league, which includes the 'big six' to be given "long-term share-holder" status and the ability to make changes with the support of just six of the nine. Along with the £250m up front payment to the EFL, the FA would also receive £100m as a gift.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12101655/premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-propose-major-changes-to-english-football

Liverpool, backed by Manchester United, have suggested reducing the Premier League to 18 teams and scrapping the League Cup. Those are miniscule compared to the bigger points:

One of the most appealing parts for some EFL clubs may be 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and EFL revenues going to EFL clubs, with an advance of up to £250m being made available early to help during the pandemic. The proposed changes would put the majority of the power into the hands of the biggest clubs, ending the division's current one-club, one-vote system. The plan calls for the nine clubs with the longest continued presence in the league, which includes the 'big six' to be given "long-term share-holder" status and the ability to make changes with the support of just six of the nine. Along with the £250m up front payment to the EFL, the FA would also receive £100m as a gift.

That reeks of a power play by the big boys to screw over the little guys despite the plan saying that 25% of all revenue goes to the clubs at the lower levels.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

That reeks of a power play by the big boys to screw over the little guys despite the plan saying that 25% of all revenue goes to the clubs at the lower levels.

The top 6 are trying to get themselves into a position similar to Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona where they dictate to the rest of the pyramid even more than they currently do. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png