2022 International Soccer

MJWalker45

9 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Might as well just hand over the title to City anyways. (I say that as a United "fan". A lukewarm fan mind you, but they are the Premier League team I support)

Arsenal fans want Kroenke out, but they did not invade the pitch, park outside the team hotel and threaten media at the ground.  

If these fans were so outraged over the Glazers NOW, they should have just followed the other disgruntled supporters years ago to FC United of Manchester. Or maybe they go become Salford supporters. 

The 50+1 sounds enticing, but I hope these "supporters" can stomach the losses that come with trying to keep up with the City, or  Real Madrid or Barcelona. We are talking about the way Bundesliga clubs are run. So yeah, good luck with that

Also, try getting that many owners to all agree to cut down their ownership stakes in a team. The top two teams in Spain are fortunate that the national government will look out for them. There's no way the UK government will overlook the spending that's needed for those "Super 6" teams to stay in touching distance of them. 

The fact you as an owner could be possibly kicked out by the fans won't work for foreign investment through ownership either.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4378039/super-league-rebels-could-face-two-year-champions-league-ban-sources

According to this, all 12 teams could be looking at 2 year bans, though it's expected that the only ones that would likely receive the full ban are the four still hoping to get the league up and running. The others still could face some type of sanctioning, most likely fines and maybe a reduction of their purse in the tournament. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Another UCL match, another score contribution for Pulisic, this time off the bench. He directly contributed to the two of the three goals Chelsea scored in the semifinals in less than 90 minutes of game time. Unreal.

He’s simply sensational. There’s never been an American footballer who was so hyped when he was coming up and then lived up to/surpassed all expectations. He became the youngest player to score a goal and assist in the UCL semifinals in a decade. Not youngest American, but the youngest period. 

Chelsea as a whole was phenomenal today. Kante especially. He was the best player on the pitch. Defensively they were outstanding while only giving up one true opportunity for Real Madrid to score, which Mendy made an outstanding save.

Havertz, I thought had his best game for Chelsea since arriving last summer. He was incredible today. But the front 3 as a whole were stellar in the counterattack and probably should have had a few more goals. 

At the end of the day, an American footballer will play in the Champions League Final as his team’s best attacking player and as its number 10. 

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I’m really torn on this final. I don’t particularly like either of these teams, probably two of my 3 most dislike English teams. 

I’ll probably end up (reluctantly) pulling for Chelsea though, for a few reasons. Pulisic, for one, but also I think it would vindicate Thomas Tuchel as a manager after his largely successful stints at Dortmund and PSG ended without the trophies that really mattered to either of those teams. Plus I would absolutely love to still be able to hold 0 UCL’s over City’s head for a generation. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I’m really torn on this final. I don’t particularly like either of these teams, probably two of my 3 most dislike English teams. 

I’ll probably end up (reluctantly) pulling for Chelsea though, for a few reasons. Pulisic, for one, but also I think it would vindicate Thomas Tuchel as a manager after his largely successful stints at Dortmund and PSG ended without the trophies that really mattered to either of those teams. Plus I would absolutely love to still be able to hold 0 UCL’s over City’s head for a generation. 

For me, the USMNT is my favorite team in the world. I love them more than any footballing club, even more than LAFC. I’m not the biggest Chelsea fan and to be honest, before Pulisic arrived there, I didn’t even like them at all.

But I root for USMNT players above all else and their club success. For example, my two least favorite European teams are Man United and Real Madrid. I generally root for their opponents every game, without fail. But if any American were to play for them, I’d support them in a heart beat lol. 

With that in mind, I have zero issue supporting Chelsea now lol. I’d dare say that I’ve even become a supporter of theirs now, but it’ll only last so long as Pulisic plays there. 

As for the Final, I know Steffan plays for City, but he’s a backup and there’s no chance he plays even a second in the Final. So I’d rather see the team that actually prominently features an American win the title. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4378039/super-league-rebels-could-face-two-year-champions-league-ban-sources

According to this, all 12 teams could be looking at 2 year bans, though it's expected that the only ones that would likely receive the full ban are the four still hoping to get the league up and running. The others still could face some type of sanctioning, most likely fines and maybe a reduction of their purse in the tournament. 

My goodness. I try not to use this standard internet phrase very often, but a Champions League without Barcelona or Juventus? Inject that right into my veins. Of course, it would be even funnier if Juventus failed to qualify anyway, to be honest.

(I would include Milan as well, but they've been failures at qualifying for years now. I'm used to them not being in there.)

As far as people having a moral dilemma trying to decide which is better to hope wins, Man City or Chelsea, you could just hope it ends up going to penalties and do what I do in those situations, and treat it like nobody's a proper winner at that point. If I don't consider shootouts in hockey to be proper ways to decide games, there's zero reason I should view penalty kicks in soccer any differently. Even the sport itself doesn't recognize them that way. It's always "X-X AET, [Team A] wins on penalties [Y-Z]". If it happens prior to a championship game, replace "wins" with "advances". 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

My goodness. I try not to use this standard internet phrase very often, but a Champions League without Barcelona or Juventus? Inject that right into my veins. Of course, it would be even funnier if Juventus failed to qualify anyway, to be honest.

If this happened the league reps would look like this:

La Liga 

Sevilla

Real Sociedad

Villareal

Real Betis

EPL

Leicester City

West Ham

Everton

Aston Villa

Serie A

Atalanta

Napoli

Roma

Lazio

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

🚨🚨 GOALKEEPER GOAL ALERT 🚨🚨

Alisson just scored for Liverpool at the very end of stoppage time to beat West Brom! It's the first time a goalkeeper has scored with a header in the Premier League, and the first time a goalkeeper has scored for Liverpool since the club was founded in 1892.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, officeglenn said:

🚨🚨 GOALKEEPER GOAL ALERT 🚨🚨

Alisson just scored for Liverpool at the very end of stoppage time to beat West Brom! It's the first time a goalkeeper has scored with a header in the Premier League, and the first time a goalkeeper has scored for Liverpool since the club was founded in 1892.

I know the other keepers to score a goal in the PL are Tim Howard and Asmir Begovic. They both score from their own box. Can't think of anyone other than these two, however.

8 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I know the other keepers to score a goal in the PL are Tim Howard and Asmir Begovic. They both score from their own box. Can't think of anyone other than these two, however.

• Peter Schmeichel
  • Brad Friedel
  • Paul Robinson
  • Tim Howard
  • Asmir Begovic
  • Alisson

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2145933

https://www.espn.com/soccer/conmebol-copa-libertadores/story/4389400/covid-hit-river-plate-denied-use-of-reserve-keepers-ahead-of-copa-libertadores-tilt

River Plate has had Covid run rampant through their squad, knocking out all of their goalies. Conmebol in all their wisdom has refused to allow them to bring in replacements so they will start the game with some one who's normally a field player in goal. And they may be forced to play the whole game with 10 players. There's making an example out of a team, and there's this. I'd at least let them bring up academy players to get up to 14 or 15 players for this match. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Leicester crash out of the Top 4 after being there for basically the whole season. Liverpool finish third in a season where: 

-every single senior CB coming into the season suffered season-ending injuries

-Jurgen Klopp used something like 15-20 different CB pairings during the season

-Bobby Firmino and Sadio Mané had easily their worst seasons in front of goal for Liverpool

-they were sitting in eighth, 10 points behind Leicester with 10 games to go 

All of this in what was christened “the worst title defense in history” by rival fans. Oh and in our worst season in years, we finished a whopping 5 points behind United, who supposedly had their best season in years. After all the crap that happened, you have to give Jurgen Klopp a huge amount of credit. Lotta “Klopp out” trolls from February/March are real silent right about now. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Brentford promoted to the Premier League.

This will be Brentford's first appearance at the highest level of English Football in 74 years.