Updating the Green Bay Packers Logo... Circa 1961

Wildcomet

So as a Packer fan who enjoys logo design like many of us here do, the Packers logo is always a bit tricky. To me and others it is timeless and very hard to justify messing with, but a part of me still wants to do design projects with the team, so I decided to take a look at their past and try to bring a part of it into the present.

I decided to take a logo the team had from 1961 (that was not used for long) and redo it. My goal was to make something that represented the past logo without reinventing it, but could also fit in with logos from the modern era.

I stated some of this in the graphic, but the major tweaks (with intentions behind them) were:

* Altered the colors to be closer to the modern shades of green and gold the team uses,

* Drew a solid outline around the entire ball as well as the player. This helped present the ball as one solid object with stripes and not a ball chopped into three separate pieces. I feel this helps it come off as one cohesive graphic. I also used the outline to imply laces along the right edge of the ball. 

* Gave the player a more angular, athletic appearance, and changed some aspects of the helmet, pants, etc to better mirror the team's modern uniform.

* The ball gets a green shadow on its left side which then blends into the image of Wisconsin. I feel this helps pull the state and ball into a more cohesive graphic and gives the ball a sense of depth. I also rotated and resized Wisconsin a little bit to better line it up with the other features of the logo.

* My last change was removing the location marker from Milwaukee and changing the Green Bay marker from a white circle to a gold star; this helped separate it from the player when viewing a smaller version of the logo and aligned it with other NFL logos using star imagery.

spacer.png

I hope you all enjoy!

EDIT: Here's the final iteration of the design for easy viewing.

GB-Packers-1961-Logo-Update-Sheet-v1-3.j

• Like 13
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, NicDB said:

Try executing the stripe on the helmet if you can. I'd also keep Milwaukee on the map.

I had given the helmet stripe a try before but went against it because it felt too small compared to the rest of the logo. I think it works when it's larger like this, but not as well if you were to zoom out and make it smaller. That said, I'm willing to show it off and see what others think. I also added Milwaukee back on the map, but made its marker a bit smaller to keep the focus on Green Bay as their sole current home.

GB-Packers-1961-Logo-Update-V1-1.png 

• Like 6

Nice work.

Have you tried without the green shadow? I see what you're trying for, but curious how it would look without it. You've done a good job modernizing the ball - it might work that way.

Sorry @NicDB but the team doesn't play in Milwaukee any longer (as you know). I don't think it needs its mark on the logo. I understand that Milwaukee is ALSO a home market for the Packers, but my vote goes against adding the second star(r).

I'm unsure on the helmet stripe. On the one hand, it meshes with the pants stripe. On the other, it's a 'line drawing' as opposed to a picture, so there's some creative license. I'm not sure which I prefer (repeating myself).

• Like 1

I'm fine with the Milwaukee star being smaller. That way people who aren't familiar with Wisconsin's geography don't get confused.

But as long as Milwaukee is officially considered the Packers market... to where it's subject to the same blackout laws in spite of being quite a ways outside of the 75 mile radius, it deserves to be acknowledged. If it wasn't on the original logo, I might feel differently. But for a logo based on historical elements from the Packers past, it feels naked without the second marker.

Nice update with bolder lines, particularly how the southern border of the state runs perfectly along the lines of the football. While I do like the shadow on the left side of the ball, it swallows the entire western  half of Wisconsin so those unfamiliar with it might not recognize the shape anymore.  And I think it’s fine without the Milwaukee star because the whole state is already depicted in the logo and it isn’t like Milwaukee residents are competing for recognition (yes they used to play part-time at County Stadium) but all Wisconsinites cheer for Green Bay.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaha32 said:

Nice update with bolder lines, particularly how the southern border of the state runs perfectly along the lines of the football. While I do like the shadow on the left side of the ball, it swallows the entire western  half of Wisconsin so those unfamiliar with it might not recognize the shape anymore.  And I think it’s fine without the Milwaukee star because the whole state is already depicted in the logo and it isn’t like Milwaukee residents are competing for recognition (yes they used to play part-time at County Stadium) but all Wisconsinites cheer for Green Bay.

I came here to say this and I agree 100%. The western border gets so lost in the shadow

I appreciate the feedback everyone! I get the border concerns and had initially made the logo without the shadow, but there were a couple issues with it which I used the shadow to solve.

The main issue without the shadow is that between the player, the state, and the thicker lines it was difficult to clearly make out any features of the ball on that side and differentiate them from the player, especially since the player's pants are now the same color as the ball. It just all looked too cluttered and busy to me in that area and I did not want to keep the white pants.

Regarding the western border- that border in the old logo was already near the left edge of the ball along the top of the state and obscured by the player on the bottom. After the thickened lines and lining the state up with the ball stripe, most of the western border was no longer visible with or without the shadow; what was visible without the shadow again looked cluttered and hard to make out. Ultimately I opted with the shadow to make it a cleaner logo.

Based on feedback I'll keep playing with ways to show the Western border better (I'm going to try a partial border outline on top of the shadow and see how it looks). I've decided to keep the smaller Milwaukee star given the history there and after some adjustments I've made the helmet triple stripe is growing more on me so I'm going to keep it. I'll have at least one more update to share of this project after trying the border idea, even if it doesn't work out.

Thanks again for the C&C! I'm glad it's been enjoyed so far and the feedback has been helpful!

EDIT: I think I got a nice change here that preserves the overall clean look but still displays the Western border of the state, and even makes the player a little more dynamic. I added yellow marks around the arm and below the foot of the player, these conform pretty well to the state border, and convey a sense of movement and energy to the player. The yellow mark I added by the foot also lines up with where the stripe would be on the ball if the shadow wasn't present. Aside from that, I made an adjustment to the helmet stripes and slightly repositioned the Milwaukee star to be a bit more accurate. I'm happy with where this has ended up right now, so I hope you all like it!

GB-Packers-1961-Logo-Update-Sheet-v1-3.j

• Like 1
  • Applause 3