Tweaking/Fixing USFL 2022

WideRight

Those of you who have been following my Alt History of the USFL know that I am a huge fan of the original league.  I am pretty hyped about the return of the teams in the 2022 version, even if the current d-league version is not exactly the same as the original NFL rival league.  I generally like what the new league has done, modernizing the looks of the original clubs, with altered logos and uni designs, but that does not mean I don't think there isn't room for improvement.  After watching several games this weekend (1 more to go) I thought I would do some tweaking to align what I see with what I would want to see.

We are starting with what I feel is the biggest missed opportunity, the New Orleans Breakers.   The new wave is a better stand alone logo than the original, but on the helmet it does not work.  It creates a huge navy blob/egg on the back of the helmet instead of a wave-inspired pattern.  I also think the lightening of the color palette was a mistake.  The lighter blue is too light and the navy is closer to royal.   So, here is my first "tweak", the Breakers' helmet.   For this change I...

... stuck closer to the original team colors from the 80's and...

... changed the flow of the helmet lines to avoid the big blue egg on the back of the helmet. 

Here is the actual helmet, followed by my version.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, WideRight said:

233 views and not one comment.  Either I hit this one out of the ballpark or it is an epic fail.   Not sure what to think. 

You definitely fixed the biggest problem with those helmets.

I know you changed the flow of the helmet but it's still four colours of nothing.

Either white helmet with a blue wave or opposite and don't extend the wave to the back.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Agree with the others that this fixed the Breakers--look like they were stuck with a template helmet in the back from five years ago.

Tampa Bay Bandits need to be rescued from the late 90s/2000s next.  Michigan Panthers are the one that's the closest to perfect in this new version.

Expanding my tweak with a full uni for both the Breakers and the Stars (more to come).  

BREAKERS

1. Returned the lighter blue to the jersey color instead of the darker. 

2. Wave pattern on the sleeves matches helmet, but adds a gull just for fun.

3. Pants add a slight "wave" feature to the pant striping.

4. Added striping to socks. 

spacer.png

And my tweaks for the Stars, again not reinventing the wheel with any of these, just making a few adjustments which I think would help. 

1. Returned the wordmark as part of the logo.  The logo is more of a mix between the actual 1983 and 2022 versions.

2. On the real helmets the striping switches from red to orange at the midpoint, in this version it has an orange section at the crown, but then shifts back to red.

3. Did the same with the pant and jersey stripes, with orange at/near the waist and red higher and lower on the striping. 

4. Added striping to the collar. 

5. Again added some stripes at the bottom of the socks. 

spacer.png

Archived