On 7/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, Victormrey said:

Chicago teams look really nice!

The A's set in the style of the 70's Phillies is out of this world, great work with the logos and wordmark!

On 7/8/2022 at 7:01 AM, Coiler said:

Ah, the forgotten St. Louis Browns. Both uniforms look great!

Thanks guys!

Up next are the Yankees and Red Sox!

RED SOX x 1936 YANKEES 

spacer.png

The Yankees lay claim to what's probably the most universally recognized uniform in all of professional sports. Though the Red Sox have worn pinstripes before, they've never had a pinstriped uniform with just their "B" logo on the chest. With help from @Victormrey, the jersey/cap logo is a modified version of Boston's 1935-46 cap logo, meant to match the style of the Yankees' iconic "NY" monogram. 

YANKEES x 1986 RED SOX
spacer.png

The Bronx Bombers are done up in the style of Boston's 1980s batting practice pullovers, complete with Tuscan style "YANKEES" script and a non-interlocking cap logo that vaguely resembles the New York Black Yankees.'

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Red Sox & Yankees 7/12)
On 7/12/2022 at 3:14 PM, coco1997 said:

Thanks guys!

Up next are the Yankees and Red Sox!

RED SOX x 1936 YANKEES 

spacer.png

The Yankees lay claim to what's probably the most universally recognized uniform in all of professional sports. Though the Red Sox have worn pinstripes before, they've never had a pinstriped uniform with just their "B" logo on the chest. With help from @Victormrey, the jersey/cap logo is a modified version of Boston's 1935-46 cap logo, meant to match the style of the Yankees' iconic "NY" monogram. 

YANKEES x 1986 RED SOX
spacer.png

The Bronx Bombers are done up in the style of Boston's 1980s batting practice pullovers, complete with Tuscan style "YANKEES" script and a non-interlocking cap logo that vaguely resembles the New York Black Yankees.'

That Red Sox uniform is amazing. I would easily buy that jersye if the Sox ever did something like that

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

On 7/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, johne9109 said:

That Red Sox uniform is amazing. I would easily buy that jersye if the Sox ever did something like that

On 7/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Coiler said:

Love the red pinstripes on the Sox uniform.

For the Yankees, I like the grey and blue both being on the cap.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Up next is another classic MLB rivalry identity swap!

CARDINALS x 1941 CUBS:
spacer.png

I wasn't originally going to tackle the Cards and Cubs, but after the Yankees vs. Red Sox this is probably the oldest and most heated rivalry in MLB history. Just as I did with the White Sox in my first post in this thread, I went back to the quirky uniforms of the 1941-42 Cubs (though this time the road set) for St. Louis. Sleeveless, powder blue zippered jerseys with a white script and numbers...lots of cool stuff happening here. The centered front numbers are a detail I pulled from Chicago's 1972 jerseys

CUBS x 1996 CARDINALS
spacer.png

For the Cubs, I put a twist on the Cards' iconic birds-on-the-bat logo by placing two bears playing baseball on a fallen tree. The pitching bear comes from the North Siders' 1934-37 alternate logo and the batting bear from their 1908-12 uniforms. Sand replaces red as the secondary color since red didn't really work with the jersey logo. The script is from their 1994-96 road set.

Here's a closer look at the bears-on-a-log logo:

spacer.png

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • LOL 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Cardinals & Cubs 7/17)
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks, gentlemen!

Up next is another classic MLB rivalry identity swap!

CARDINALS x 1941 CUBS:
spacer.png

I wasn't originally going to tackle the Cards and Cubs, but after the Yankees vs. Red Sox this is probably the oldest and most heated rivalry in MLB history. Just as I did with the White Sox in my first post in this thread, I went back to the quirky uniforms of the 1941-42 Cubs (this time the road set) for St. Louis. Sleeveless, powder blue zippered jerseys with a white script and numbers...lots of cool stuff happening here. The centered front numbers are a detail I pulled from Chicago's 1972 jerseys

CUBS x 1996 CARDINALS
spacer.png

For the Cubs, I put a twist on the Cards' iconic birds-on-the-bat logo by placing two bears playing baseball on a fallen tree. The pitching bear comes from the North Siders' 1934-37 alternate logo and the batting bear is from the team's 1908-12 uniforms. Sand replaces red as the secondary color since red didn't really work with the jersey logo. The script is from their 1994-96 road set.

Here's a closer look at the bears-on-a-log logo:

spacer.png

C&C appreciated! 

Digging both! And I didn’t remember how cool the Cubs’ 1941-42 uniforms were, so thanks for reminding me of that. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 5:10 PM, ChunkyDesigns said:

Awesome logo there, love that  idea!

On 7/17/2022 at 5:44 PM, MCM0313 said:

Digging both! And I didn’t remember how cool the Cubs’ 1941-42 uniforms were, so thanks for reminding me of that. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:14 AM, Coiler said:

Love the Sand Cubs.

Thanks, guys! I had a lot of fun designing the Cubs jersey logo. 

Up next are a few fun relocation identity swaps!

TEXAS SENATORS
spacer.png

In 1971, the Washington Senators moved to Texas and became the Rangers. But what if they had kept their name? I recently learned there exists a youth baseball club based in Austin called the Texas Senators, and after seeing their uniforms I realized I couldn't do much better. Therefore, I just recreated their home set with a few changes, including a new block number font and an off-white color for a nice vintage feel. The thick triple striping pattern evokes the '70s-80s and current day Rangers uniforms. 

WASHINGTON RANGERS

spacer.png

The "Rangers" nickname for a team in D.C. could no longer refer to the Texas-based police force, so the team is now named for National Park rangers, with the District of Columbia having over 30 parks alone. The green & copper color scheme comes from the arrowhead emblem of the National Park service, while the font used for the scripts and numbers is National Park, which is inspired by the router-carved typeface found on National Park signs throughout the country. Lastly, the sleeve patch and chest badge are a reworking of the Rangers' 1977-82 secondary logo, incorporating the D.C. flag and a tree. Here's a closer look:

spacer.png

C&C appreciated. Only one pair of teams left!

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Texas Senators & Washington Rangers 7/25)
42 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

TEXAS SENATORS
spacer.png

In 1971, the Washington Senators moved to Texas and became the Rangers. But what if they had kept their name? I recently learned there exists a youth baseball club based in Austin called the Texas Senators, and after seeing their uniforms I realized I couldn't do much better. Therefore, I just recreated their home set with a few changes, including a new block number font and an off-white color for a nice vintage feel. The thick triple striping pattern evokes the '70s-80s and current day Rangers uniforms. 

WASHINGTON RANGERS

spacer.png

The "Rangers" nickname for a team in D.C. could no longer refer to the Texas-based police force, so the team is now named for National Park rangers, with the District of Columbia having over 30 parks alone. The green & copper color scheme comes from the arrowhead emblem of the National Park service, while the font used for the scripts and numbers is National Park, which is inspired by the router-carved typeface found on National Park signs throughout the country. Lastly, the sleeve patch and chest badge are a reworking of the Rangers' 1977-82 secondary logo, incorporating the D.C. flag and a tree. Here's a closer look:

spacer.png

These swaps both work really well

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

On 7/28/2022 at 7:08 AM, Coiler said:

Love the Washington Rangers. Great use of a theme design.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:57 PM, johne9109 said:

These swaps both work really well

Thanks, guys!

Let's wrap up the series today with another relocation swap!

MILWAUKEE PILOTS:
spacer.png

The Seattle Pilots lasted only one season before moving east in 1970 and becoming the Milwaukee Brewers. But what if they had kept their name? For the Milwaukee Pilots, I took inspiration from Milwaukee resident General Billy Mitchell, considered to be the father of the U.S. Air Force and for whom Milwaukee's international airport is named. The color scheme is olive green (criminally underused across MLB save for the occasional tacky military appreciation uniforms) and athletic gold, which incidentally creates some nice visual synergy with the local NFL and NBA teams. The font for the script and numbers is Air Force and the crest is a modernized version of the original Pilots' alternate logo. Thanks to @NicDB for the consult on this one! 

SEATTLE BREWERS:
spacer.png

It was a no-brainer to keep the "Brewers" moniker for a team based in Seattle, birthplace of Starbucks, meaning the name would now refer to coffee instead of beer. For the color scheme, I liked the idea of pairing the green from Starbucks' branding with a rich, deep, coffee brown color. I also used Santana, a typeface similar to one used by Starbucks, for the numbers and cap logo. The sleeve patch idea was inspired by Milwaukee's City Connect grill ball logo, which I reworked into a steaming coffee pot. Here's a better look at that logo:

spacer.png

And with that, unless there are any relocation or intrastate rivalries I missed, the series is complete! I'd love some feedback on the last few sets of teams, including from @vtgco, as his is always highly valued.

Thanks for following! 

• Like 5
  • Love 6

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Milwaukee Pilots & Seattle Brewers 8/1)
On 7/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, coco1997 said:

TEXAS SENATORS
spacer.png

WASHINGTON RANGERS

spacer.png

spacer.png

Parks And Recreation Boat GIF

• Like 1

Oh man... Milwaukee looks great! Had the Brewers name not had so much cache in Milwaukee to necessitate changing the Pilots name I could totally see this existing. For those who might be confused why @coco1997 went with OD green instead of blue. It's because Billy Mitchell was in the Army Air Corps... one of the precursors to the modern USAF.

Seattle looks good, but for them I'd much rather see kelly green as the primary color and brown as a trim color. Seattle is known as the Emerald City after all. I love your coffee pot though. Very Seattle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, coco1997 said:

Thanks, guys!

Let's wrap up the series today with another relocation swap!

MILWAUKEE PILOTS:
spacer.png

The Seattle Pilots lasted only one season before moving east in 1970 and becoming the Milwaukee Brewers. But what if they had kept their name? For the Milwaukee Pilots, I took inspiration from Milwaukee resident General Billy Mitchell, considered to be the father of the U.S. Air Force and for whom Milwaukee's international airport is named. The color scheme is olive green (criminally underused across MLB save for the occasional tacky military appreciation uniforms) and athletic gold, which incidentally creates some nice visual synergy with the local NFL and NBA teams. The font for the script and numbers is Air Force and the crest is a modernized version of the original Pilots' alternate logo. Thanks to @NicDB for the consult on this one! 

SEATTLE BREWERS:
spacer.png

It was a no-brainer to keep the "Brewers" moniker for a team based in Seattle, birthplace of Starbucks, meaning the name would now refer to coffee instead of beer. For the color scheme, I liked the idea of pairing the green from Starbucks' branding with a rich, deep, coffee brown color. I also used Santana, a typeface similar to one used by Starbucks, for the numbers and cap logo. The sleeve patch idea was inspired by Milwaukee's City Connect grill ball logo, which I reworked into a steaming coffee pot. Here's a better look at that logo:

spacer.png

And with that, unless there are any relocation or intrastate rivalries I missed, the series is complete! I'd love some feedback on the last few sets of teams, including from @vtgco, as his is always highly valued.

Thanks for following!

that Milwaukee design really works! And Seattle Brewers could be a minor league leam, especially with that logo! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, CLEFAN94 said:

that Milwaukee design really works! And Seattle Brewers could be a minor league leam, especially with that logo! 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, Coiler said:

Saved the best for last! Love both the Milwaukee Pilots and Seattle Brewers. Very quirky but not ostentatious, and they fit their cities well. 

Thanks, guys!

On 8/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, NicDB said:

Oh man... Milwaukee looks great! Had the Brewers name not had so much cache in Milwaukee to necessitate changing the Pilots name I could totally see this existing. For those who might be confused why @coco1997 went with OD green instead of blue. It's because Billy Mitchell was in the Army Air Corps... one of the precursors to the modern USAF.

Seattle looks good, but for them I'd much rather see kelly green as the primary color and brown as a trim color. Seattle is known as the Emerald City after all. I love your coffee pot though. Very Seattle.

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks again for your input on the Pilots. Here are the Brewers in emerald green, with brown as the secondary color:

spacer.png

Got to thinking about that time the Royals were playing the Brewers in Milwaukee and had their uniforms stolen from their hotel, which resulted in them borrowing the Brewers' road uniforms so they'd have something to wear the next day. So here's a mash-up of the Brewers and Royals:

ROYALS x BREWERS HOME
Royals-Brewers-Home-pinstripes.png

ROYALS x BREWERS ROAD

Royals-Brewers-Road.png

I tried to stay faithful to each team's late '70s look but took a few artistic liberties. Case in point, the game in question occurred in 1977 but the Brewers wouldn't introduce their pinstriped uniforms until the following season. The cap uses the Kansas City Monarchs' "KC" monogram, while the gold scripts & numbers on the road jersey are a nod to the Crew's repurposed Seattle Pilots unis from 1970-71. The sleeve patch puts a twist on Milwaukee's 1970-81 alternate logo, using Missouri instead of Wisconsin. Here's a closer look at that logo:

Missouri-KC-logo.png

BREWERS x ROYALS HOME:

Brewers-Royals-Home-button-down.png

BREWERS X ROYALS ROAD:Brewers-Royals-Road-button-down.png

The Brewers get stripped down to a blue-only team a la the Royals. Again, not totally historically accurate, as the Royals didn't switch back to a button-down style or add front numbers until 1983. The Royals-esque home script was used by the American Association Milwaukee Brewers of the 1940s, and the cap "M" is newly-made using a font similar to the Royals' old primary logo. Wasn't too sure about using cream scripts with a powder blue uniform, but I think it's subtle enough that it works. The sleeve patch is also newly created, using the cap "M" on a beer barrel design enclosed in a circle, inspired by KC's 1971-92 alternate logo

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1