5 hours ago, vtgco said:

The Phil logo looks great! The gray Yankees also look good, though after seeing it, I wonder if navy/gray/navy striping would be better

Here's the Yankees with inverted stripes:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

The Dodgers and Giants look great; I like NY's all-black cap paired with the black-less jersey, and the BK works really well for the Dodgers! (I imagine a BK cap monogram would be hard to create, so good call with the D cap logo.)

I forget if both those teams used BoSox numbers IRL, but on the front they're a bit big for the more delicate Giants script.

You are correct that both teams used McAuliffe style numbers during this team period.

For the Giants, I decided to drop the front numbers altogether, since the '44 Dodgers didn't use them. I also corrected the coloring of the belt loops:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Up next we move to the Lone Star State with the Rangers and Astros!

RANGERS x 1975 ASTROS
spacer.png

Naturally, I had to do something with Astros' iconic 1975 tequila sunrise design for the Rangers. I used a combination of the various shades of blue and red the Rangers have worn over the years, while a large sheriff's star replaces the five pointed star on the front of the jersey. I used a font called "Surf Bird" for the numbers to match the "TEXAS" from the 1972-80 primary logo

ASTROS x 1976 RANGERS

spacer.png

I had a tough time coming up with a look for the Astros that would evoke the Rangers until I thought to put them in the powder blue pullovers that Texas wore from 1976-82. The script and cap logo are new creations, using a script style font called Gendis as suggested by @Carolingian Steamroller

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Rangers & Astros 5/9)
On 5/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, johne9109 said:

Waiting to see a Boston X New York

15 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

That would be...interesting. 

I'm working on the Yankees and Boston.

Still looking for some feedback on the Astros and Rangers, but in the meantime, here's the next pair of teams:

ANGELS x DODGERS
spacer.png

The Angels are sort of a reverse Dodgers--a red dominant design with blue TV numbers.  The script comes from the 1950s Pacific Coast League Angels., while the interlocking "CA" cap logo was worn by the California Angels from 1965-70. 

DODGERS x PCL ANGELS
spacer.png

The Angels have never really had a uniform with "distinguishing features," so I looked further back in history to the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League, incorporating various uniform elements from the 1930s-40s and recreating the Dodgers' "LA" logo in the 3-D style. 

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Angels & Dodgers 5/12)
On 5/9/2022 at 5:09 PM, coco1997 said:

Up next we move to the Lone Star State with the Rangers and Astros!

RANGERS x 1975 ASTROS
spacer.png

Naturally, I had to do something with Astros' iconic 1975 tequila sunrise design for the Rangers. I used a combination of the various shades of blue and red the Rangers have worn over the years, while a large sheriff's star replaces the five pointed star on the front of the jersey. I used a font called "Surf Bird" for the numbers to match the "TEXAS" from the 1972-80 primary logo

ASTROS x 1976 RANGERS

spacer.png

I had a tough time coming up with a look for the Astros that would evoke the Rangers until I thought to put them in the powder blue pullovers that Texas wore from 1976-82. The script and cap logo are new creations, using a script style font called Gendis as suggested by @Carolingian Steamroller

C&C appreciated! 

Both of these are excellent. The Astros one actually reminds me of something the independent league team in my hometown just released. Nice work!

• Like 1

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 5:40 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

NGL. The dodgers one looks like you can swap the LA for a T and it be a rangers alt. Not saying this as a bad thing

2 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

The Dodgers x PCL Angels concept actually meshes really good, reminds me of their road jersey from the early aughts (by the way, one of the most underrated jerseys of all time IMO). This could had fit in well with the aesthetic look from this area. Great work!

Thank you!

22 hours ago, DP487 said:

Both of these are excellent. The Astros one actually reminds me of something the independent league team in my hometown just released. Nice work!

Thanks! I wouldn't mind seeing that independent league jersey you're describing.

Let's stay in California for the next pair of teams:

OAKLAND A's x 2000 GIANTS
spacer.png

I put the A's in the off-white unis the Giants have worn since 2000, as well as the arched "ATHLETICS" typeface the A's used in Kansas City before moving west. The sleeve roundel is a modified version of the A's primary logo. 

GIANTS x 1969 A's 
spacer.png

I had fun with this one! The Giants are based on the sleeveless A's unis from 1969-71, using a Gothic style letter "G" on the jersey and cap. I kept their contemporary numbers to tie the design somewhat to their current look. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (A's & Giants 5/15)
On 5/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, DP487 said:

Thanks! I definitely see the similarities. Almost the exact same color scheme.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, Victormrey said:

I love how the Giants x A's uniforms turned out! Athletics' colours look great along off-white, and that Giants sleeveless jersey is stunning, specially with the Old English G.

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot!

Up today we have a relocation identity swap!

BRAVES x 1970 BREWERS
spacer.png

I used the 1970 vestiges-of-the-Seattle-Pilots unis as the basis for the Braves and created a new "Braves" script complete with quirky lowercase "e" using a font called The Story Begins and Ends. The "A" cap logo was used by the Atlanta Black Crackers

BREWERS x 1972 BRAVES:

spacer.png

For the Brew Crew, I looked to the Braves' iconic feathered sleeve uniforms and replaced the feathers with wheat stalks along with double outlined scripts & numbers and Braves style stirrups.

C&C appreciated!

• Like 12

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Braves & Brewers 5/18)

Love how you incorporated the wheat stalks on the Brewers set. Looks fantastic. Those Pilots-era stripes on the Braves set are also very nice. Knocked it out of the park with this one, IMO

• Like 3

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

On 5/19/2022 at 8:35 AM, DP487 said:

Love how you incorporated the wheat stalks on the Brewers set. Looks fantastic. Those Pilots-era stripes on the Braves set are also very nice. Knocked it out of the park with this one, IMO

Thanks!

On 5/20/2022 at 12:01 AM, NicDB said:

I really thought you were gonna swap the Brewers with the Twins. Using barley stalks in place of the feather is damned clever and everything else looks exactly as it should.

Thank you! The Twins and Brewers would have made sense, but I have something different planned for Minnesota.

Up today is the Beltway Series!

ORIOLES x 2011 NATIONALS
spacer.png

For the O's, I opted for an orange-dominant design, inspired by the Nationals' current uniforms. The script "B" becomes the team's primary logo with the Maryland flag behind it akin to these now-retired Nats alternates

NATIONALS x 1971 ORIOLES
spacer.png

The Nats get the "blood clot" treatment a la the 1971-72  mono-orange Orioles while the team's script and numbers remain the same. The red front panel on the cap is similar to these orange front paneled ones worn by Baltimore from '75-76. 

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Orioles & Nationals 5/22)
2 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I think the Brewers is my favourite design yet 🤩 The ears of wheat look wonderful on the sleeves.

Really nice use of the Maryland flag for the O's B monogram!

Thank you! 

The next set of teams is another relocation reversal!

ATHLETICS x 1970 PHILLIES
spacer.png

This design reimagines the A's in the style of the pinstriped, racing striped 1970s Phillies, with Kelly green and athletic gold replacing burgundy and powder blue. I also created a new "A's" cap/jersey logo using the '70s Phillies typeface

PHILLIES x 1970 ATHLETICS

spacer.png

Admittedly, this Phillies design borrows elements from several A's uniforms from over the years, namely a vest-style jersey, a 1920-30s Old English "P" and rounded 1973 style numbers.

C&C appreciated!

• Like 3
  • WOAH 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (A's & Phillies 5/25)

Up next, another take on the Crosstown Classic!

WHITE SOX x 1978 CUBS
spacer.png

I wanted to revisit the White Sox and Cubs because both teams (well, mainly the Sox) have such rich uniform histories. For my second stab at the Sox I modeled my design off the 1978 Cubs, who introduced powder blue road unis with white pinstripes. I used the blockier "CHICAGO" script, numbers and "Sox" monogram the South Siders used from the 1950s  into the mid '60s. I also just love black and powder blue together. 

CUBS x 1976 WHITE SOX
spacer.png

Ah yes, the infamous big-collared, reviled-by-Chris-Sale beer league style uniforms of the 1976-81 White Sox. The Cubs used a similar arched, Tuscan style "CUBS" script (and matching  "C" cap logo in the '30s) from 1914-15 which helped make this design work. I tried to use red as minimally as possible so it felt faithful to the original Sox uniform but also distinctly Cubs. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (White Sox & Cubs Take 2 5/28)

I love that '70s-tastic A's look; it really suits Oakland! (Makes me think of this @TheGiantsFan Berkeley soccer concept.) I'd be really curious to see a full set of groovy font for them (though perhaps without pinstripes, and maybe with a different number font...) Phillies also look quite solid in blackletter style.

Your latest takes on the Chicago teams feel really true to themselves still, but the references are pleasant (if subtle), so good work there.

Love what you've done for the Brewers a-la Atlanta. If anything, I'd those vertical fibers shortened and maybe without the horizontal tops of the white outlines.

The reverse pairing is also nice (though that thick "E" is kinda funny lol); maybe I'd bring the sock stripes closer together. Good call on that ABC cap logo.

Giants-A's swap is solid; no complaints. I like the O cap logo. I wonder if there could be a Bay Bridge logo for the A's like this logo.

Texas and Houston swap really well. Your Astros script might benefit from a tail (maybe a shooting star tail) but overall the concept really makes me want to see them in powder blue IRL. The many randomly-recolored tequila sunrise ripoffs that happen IRL don't usually work for me, but yours works well, especially due to that cowboy star (how would it look in white; more like the state flag, perhaps?

Anyways more excellent work here!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

I love that '70s-tastic A's look; it really suits Oakland! (Makes me think of this @TheGiantsFan Berkeley soccer concept.) I'd be really curious to see a full set of groovy font for them (though perhaps without pinstripes, and maybe with a different number font...) Phillies also look quite solid in blackletter style.

Thank you for the detailed feedback! It just so happens I already had your request for the A's ready to go. Went with standard block numbers:

ATHLETICS x 1970 PHILLIES HOME:

spacer.png

ATHLETICS x 1970 PHILLIES ROAD:

spacer.png

ATHLETICS x 1970 PHILLIES HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Love what you've done for the Brewers a-la Atlanta. If anything, I'd those vertical fibers shortened and maybe without the horizontal tops of the white outlines.

The reverse pairing is also nice (though that thick "E" is kinda funny lol); maybe I'd bring the sock stripes closer together. Good call on that ABC cap logo.

Thanks! I've worked on shortening up the fibers of the wheat stalks, but I'm not sure what you mean with your suggestion about the horizontal tops.

In the meantime, I've made your suggested tweak to the Braves, including thinning the "E" a bit:

spacer.png

Giants-A's swap is solid; no complaints. I like the O cap logo. I wonder if there could be a Bay Bridge logo for the A's like this logo.

Nice idea! Here you go:

spacer.png

20 hours ago, vtgco said:

Texas and Houston swap really well. Your Astros script might benefit from a tail (maybe a shooting star tail) but overall the concept really makes me want to see them in powder blue IRL. The many randomly-recolored tequila sunrise ripoffs that happen IRL don't usually work for me, but yours works well, especially due to that cowboy star (how would it look in white; more like the state flag, perhaps?

Simple enough tweak for Texas:

spacer.png

Thanks for the thorough feedback!

• Like 4