British Basketball League jersey concepts (Sharks and Force added)

DukeofChutney

I've finally got around to  posting my BBL jerseys. Those who followed the BBL courts thread will know some of the changes I made, but I'll detail the differences along the way.

Firstly. this is not soley limited to the British Basketball League. I have promoted some teams from the NBL (and lower) as well as reviving some defunct teams, There's also a fictional relocation and a re-use of a defunct hockey team identity.

For the purpose of this thread, I've also created two conferences; split into four divisions. I've highlighted the counties on the map below.

The league logo is the current one the leage uses, that I've given a little refresh (border, shadow etc).

PiNj3NT.png

I've not really done jersey concepts before, so these may not be the best set out there - but I guess you don't know unless you try eh?

First up, the fictional relocation of the Raiders franchise, previously playing in Plymouth. (Replaced by the Patriots in '21). The foxes made the trip up the M5 and decamped in the Second City.

The original green of Plymouth has been swtiched out for Brummie blue, and as with their court, I've taken the zig-zag from the city flag and incorporated it into the third jersey.

3aKthFq.png

• Like 5

Continuing with the Southern Conference, here's the Bristol Flyers.

I've adapted thier current uniform, into their third jersey. Admittedly the wordmark does not match that of thier logo - it was initially from a concept I had for a different logo but it just seems to work here. (at least to me). Coincidentally the Flyers use a painted script font  on their current jerseys so they're not against using different wordmarks.

0NoCl5V.png

• Like 6

Next from the South West, the Gloucester City Kings.

This is a tema that has indicated its intentions to move into the BBL in the near future, bolsted by their sister team Gloucester City Queens joining the WBBL last season.

I've adapted the Queens jersey style here, as to keep a bit of uniforminity to the club.
The side pattern comes from the logo, which represents the Strawberry Leaf Crown found on the tomb of Edward II in Gloucester Cathederal.

UyqwxzD.png

• Like 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Kings added)

Thanks - I was quite pleased how the Flyers trim worked out (it may crop up again later).

As for the Kings trim, it could be a case that I over emphasised it.  I do like the suggestion of using as a repeater - perhaps in sublimation. I'll revisit that set.

EDIT:

Here's a quick alternate take. I've added the previous crown trim in sublmination, and I'm quite liking it. The step and repeat seems a bit cluttered IMO, but I guess that could be fixed with a far subtler colour (which might not display as well here).

AfDBBG2.png

• Like 2

Nearly forgot to add todays team.

The Plymouth City Patriots were formed after the Raiders dropped out of the league in '21. This jersey set carries on the style of their current jerseys - I honestly felt it didn't need much change.

cGPwPCU.png

• Like 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Patriots added)

Another one of the 'what..if?' teams from the courts thread. The Solent Kestrels - currently an NBL Div. 1 team, who are oft mentioned for a move up to the BBL.

I've kept their current side panel random geometric pattern, which probably doesn't show up in much deatil here. I'd refer to it as "very artsy" and stylised.

43Srm7u.png

• Like 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Kestrels added)

Round out the South West we have the Worcester Wolves. Previously a member of the BBL, they had to drop down to the NBL due to financial constraints following the pandemic.

Naturally, I'd love to see them return back to the top tier.

Their current look certainly appears to take inspiration from the Minnesota Timberwolves, and as it works I've kept it as is. I did try to go with something different with the third going with the sash style.

cRavosm.png

• Like 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Wolves added)

The next team starts off the Northern Conference West. For the thread, the Bradford Dragons are promoted from NBL Div.1.

The Dragons have a striped pattern they use, which I've tried to keep here. For the third, I've tried to go with something different.

3JR21MU.png

On a side note, I will be adding shorts to each of the teams, and I'll go back and revisit those that have already been posted.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Dragons added)

The Cheshire Phoenix are next. Their current set is pretty spot on to me, so I didn't change much. I did try and go on a different route with their third, using the flame motif from their 2012-20 logo.

And, yes the team does use the 'Nix' nickname from time to time.

UJiQNWX.png

• Like 4

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Phoenix added)

Definitely liking the classic look for Cheshire; feels pretty Sonics-y in a nice way... Though the font and design are a bit disconnected from the logo... I'm curious if it works in the font for "Cheshire" from the logo, or even with an arch rather than a hoop to go with the "Phoenix" wordmark. Same goes for the font on the third, but the design is excellent.

I like each of the existing patterns for the Patriots, and the sublimated jersey design with the teal corner is a good idea... But they're a bit busy together (not your fault...) I just wonder if the teal diamonds could be skewed/rotated so each diamond covers exactly 2 triangles.

I think the solution for the Kings could be to have the crown un-sublimated, but horizontal and across the top (similar to the white alternate.)

Your Bristol Flyers set is perfect! Excellent work on that one. If only the logo was as nice :P

Birmingham also looks quite nice.

Sorry to say, but I'm really not feeling Bradford. The barberpole striping is a solid idea, but a bit small and not perpendicular to the sleeves, and it really doesn't pair with those swoopy side panels IMO. Not feeling any of the fonts, which I see online are the IRL fonts, but the many outlines make for especially poor legibility.

I'd be curious to a see a third jersey for Solent in the vein of the Minnesota United wing kit...

man, you're firing on all cylinders with these; Birmingham and Worcester are my personal favorites so far, though that may just be down to me really liking the color combo of blue, orange, and white. hm. can't imagine why.

53Ocz8U.png

7 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

man, you're firing on all cylinders with these; Birmingham and Worcester are my personal favorites so far, though that may just be down to me really liking the color combo of blue, orange, and white. hm. can't imagine why.

Wow thanks.

I had my doubts that these were any good at all..

9 hours ago, vtgco said:

Definitely liking the classic look for Cheshire; feels pretty Sonics-y in a nice way... Though the font and design are a bit disconnected from the logo... I'm curious if it works in the font for "Cheshire" from the logo, or even with an arch rather than a hoop to go with the "Phoenix" wordmark. Same goes for the font on the third, but the design is excellent.

I like each of the existing patterns for the Patriots, and the sublimated jersey design with the teal corner is a good idea... But they're a bit busy together (not your fault...) I just wonder if the teal diamonds could be skewed/rotated so each diamond covers exactly 2 triangles.

I think the solution for the Kings could be to have the crown un-sublimated, but horizontal and across the top (similar to the white alternate.)

Your Bristol Flyers set is perfect! Excellent work on that one. If only the logo was as nice :P

Birmingham also looks quite nice.

Sorry to say, but I'm really not feeling Bradford. The barberpole striping is a solid idea, but a bit small and not perpendicular to the sleeves, and it really doesn't pair with those swoopy side panels IMO. Not feeling any of the fonts, which I see online are the IRL fonts, but the many outlines make for especially poor legibility.

I'd be curious to a see a third jersey for Solent in the vein of the Minnesota United wing kit...

Thanks for the comments.

PLY,: Yep, not going to lie it is a very busy kit. In part I went with it, just because it is quite striking. It perhaps needs to be either the triskelion or the diamonds. I'll give it some thought and revisit that when I get to the shorts.

GLO: Nice idea. I'll see if I can rustle up that alternate.

BDF: It probably does need some refinement. I'd not thought of it as a barber pole striping... it reminded me of a school tie. However it's a bit unique against the others in the league(s) so I kept it, but yeah.. more tweaks needed.

The 'Bradford' wordmark does look cluttered too now you point it out.

SOL: I'll be honest, I wasn't aware of the Minn Utd wing kit... had to look it up. Nice call.

Glad everyone likes Bristol, I'm quite pleased that the side panel worked out as well as it did. And yes, the logo still leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

Whilst I work away on the updates, I'll carry on the rest of the series.

Up next, the Glasgow Rocks. The Rocks have used tartan on and off on their jerseys, (as well as going red or pink at times), so I've tried to go for a combination of their previously used sets. As with the Rocks court in the other thread, I've not been able to perfect the actual tartan pattern yet, so this is a close proximity.

I've tried something different with the third, using the outline of the peaks in the Trossachs, near the city as an outline. I went quite subtle, and did this way before the Rockies released their City Connect - and quite frankly comparted to that, this is so subtle its near invisible!

S95Wk3H.png

• Like 1

• DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Rocks added)
  • DukeofChutney changed the title to British Basketball League jersey concepts (Giants added)