The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Bowing out in the second round by being completely and utterly declawed in a four-game asskicking as a team expected to make a ton of noise in the playoffs is absolutely a choke. Especially when they struggled to even win a series against the Caps.

Remember, choking in sports is a team failing to act as anticipated. People anticipated Florida would be a Cup finalist, and they got a team that struggled to beat an old man squad that limped into the postseason and then got absolutely mauled by the defending champions the next round.

People anticipated the Leafs losing in seven to Tampa because it's their running gag; and if it's anticipated, it's not a choke.

That actually how I see it, just the opposite. 

I was anticipating the Panthers to lose in the 1st or 2nd round because the President's trophy is a cursed piece of hardware. 

Likewise I anticipated the Leafsa to make a deep run because they had one of their best years in a long time, and everything (like Boston getting knocked out of the playoffs) seemed to have been lining up for them. 

11 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

My only complaint with TNT's coverage this season/playoffs is Don Koharski. Get him off my screen. He lacks any sort of public speaking skills and he is consistently wrong about every call they ask him about.

Jim Schoenfeld would agree.

• Like 4

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah, to go winless on the road in the playoffs and then get bullied on your home ice in Game 7 is basically the definition of soft. All flash, no substance. I’d feel bad for the Canes, but the whole franchise just puts off this air of arrogance and insufferability that is in no way earned, so I won’t lie I’m not too broken up about them getting humbled. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Crabcake said:

Yeah, to go winless on the road in the playoffs and then get bullied on your home ice in Game 7 is basically the definition of soft. All flash, no substance. I’d feel bad for the Canes, but the whole franchise just puts off this air of arrogance and insufferability that is in no way earned, so I won’t lie I’m not too broken up about them getting humbled. 

Unfortunately knowing how some of our fans act they won’t be humbled by this. We will probably be a hot regular season team next year, perhaps even a trendy pick to win the Cup - some fans will eat it up and talk too much once again. Yeah, it has been fun to watch a legitimately talented team the last few seasons, but our fans have to learn to shut their mouths after the embarrassing playoff efforts the last three years. We can be a top five regular season team again next year and win another division title, doesn’t mean much when your star players don’t show up in the postseason. 

This isn’t like the 2019 postseason when we were just happy to be there, this team has expectations now. Unfortunately they haven’t come close to living up to them. 

• Like 1

T1oYViW.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake said:

All flash, no substance? IDK about that

CAR I think is moreso the opposite based on their style of play (fewest goals allowed, not heavily reliant on scoring or a superstar, built from net out, forechecking).

I think a lack of flash (i.e. not having a mackinnon or mcdavid difference player) is their problem.

They aren't as reliant on goal scoring as say Florida or Minnesota nor do they have a first line of the caliber of Calgary.

Heck, I could argue Carolina is one of the least flashy teams in hockey. 

I actually think the Rangers have more flash and starpower. On the surface, the team with more flash beat the team with more substance IMO

1 hour ago, Glover said:

Unfortunately knowing how some of our fans act they won’t be humbled by this. We will probably be a hot regular season team next year, perhaps even a trendy pick to win the Cup - some fans will eat it up and talk too much once again. Yeah, it has been fun to watch a legitimately talented team the last few seasons, but our fans have to learn to shut their mouths after the embarrassing playoff efforts the last three years. We can be a top five regular season team again next year and win another division title, doesn’t mean much when your star players don’t show up in the postseason. 

This isn’t like the 2019 postseason when we were just happy to be there, this team has expectations now. Unfortunately they haven’t come close to living up to them. 

Could be worse- at least you're not a Leafs fan.

12 hours ago, Crabcake said:

What's crazy is that this was the 22nd time a series went 7 games with the home team winning the first 6, but in those game 7s the home team has gone 11-11. 

Even though Nedeljkovic didn't have a good year, I still can't believe they dumped him for almost nothing. Hanging all your hopes on 2 injury prone goalies was a bold strategy, and at the end of the day goaltending was the difference maker. I don't think they'll be able to bring back both Niederreiter & Trocheck, but they have a decent core of quality young forwards that should be ready to take a jump/next step (Necas, Jarvis, Gunler). For the last couple years I've said they should try to make an offer for Draisaitl, but I can't see the Oilers making any drastic moves now that they've made it this far.

Mike Smith is finished. Assuming they want to win this series, who will the new starter be for Edmonton?

I checked Wikipedia. I'm not familiar with any of these names, but the team somehow has 3 backups listed on their current roster: Mikko Koskinen, Stuart Skinner, Olivier Rodrigue.

1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

Mike Smith is finished. Assuming they want to win this series, who will the new starter be for Edmonton?

I checked Wikipedia. I'm not familiar with any of these names, but the team somehow has 3 backups listed on their current roster: Mikko Koskinen, Stuart Skinner, Olivier Rodrigue.

Koskinen is a good goalie and started the majority of their games during the season. But don't count Mike Smith out yet. This is what happened in Game 1 against Calgary and it's just what he does. He'll come back next game and have a stellar game. One of the TNT guys (I think it was Biz) described him perfectly as a roller coaster and you never know what you're gonna get.

jNTsTyQ.png

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

That's what I thought after Game 1 vs Calgary. Don't count him out yet.

12 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Rangers lead 6-2 in the 3rd.

Chants of "Igor's Better" in MSG.

The Lightning has never played well in the first game after an extended break (playoff, bye week, Olympic break). I half expected this, but Vasy has an epic winning record in games following a loss.  Wouldn’t shock me to see a shutout against NYR in Friday with 40+ saves for Vasilevskiy.

On 5/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, officeglenn said:

That's what I thought after Game 1 vs Calgary. Don't count him out yet.

3 quick goals less than 10 minutes into the 2nd period. Maybe a huge comeback, but it's not looking good.

• Like 1