The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

37 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Tested positive for Covid, so they're being cautious.

Bettman IS Covid. He has been a pandemic since 1993!

I first took an interest in hockey as kid around 1995. It was the Avalanche who I picked to be my team that I cheered for with my favorite player being Patrick Roy. Though Colorado isnt my current team I cheer for they have a place in my heart so im happy to see them win the cup again.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

This could have been the Edmonton Oilers, if only they had a goalie that wasn't playing awful. I heard something similar about the Leafs.

With the amount of competition there is in both conferences, I look foward to next year's playoffs, to see if anybody can get over the hump that they almost overcame.

It's hard to win 3 straight Cups, with 32 teams in the league. The team that hasn't won it usually play more fierce than the defending Champions.

Following the Avs throughout the 2010s was a real f***king chore. Lots and lots of terrible hockey, including the worst season in modern NHL history. Seeing these guys below who were apart of that worst season, raise a Stanley Cup is honestly amazing.

FWOyVebXkAAJnxG?format=jpg&name=large

• Applause 4

jNTsTyQ.png

11 hours ago, Crabcake said:

The Avs just won a Stanley Cup with an average goalie who didn’t go nuclear in the playoffs. That alone shows how good they are. 

They overcame having 35 year old Jack Johnson playing serious defensive minutes in 2022. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the Blue Jackets four whole ass years ago. I feel good for him, though, what with all the crap he's been through with his parents stealing and losing most of his career earnings. I'm glad his cup didn't come as part of the Penguins. 

I also feel great for Ryan Murray. I wish he'd gotten to be a part of the playoffs on the ice. That guy just can't stay healthy. 

45 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Following the Avs throughout the 2010s was a real f***king chore. Lots and lots of terrible hockey, including the worst season in modern NHL history. Seeing these guys below who were apart of that worst season, raise a Stanley Cup is honestly amazing.

It's honestly weird how bad they were that year because clearly they had some dudes on that team. Matt Duchene was there too. And we all thought at the time what terrible luck it was to go through that season and wind up with only the 4th pick. The guy they got just won the Norris and Conn Smythe, the three guys taken in front of him are good (Nico and Heiskanen) to full-on bust (Nolan Patrick), but in a redraft Cale Makar goes #1 every time. Hockey is funny. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

Those top picks eventually payed off.

They did a good job building a team around McKinnon, Landeskog, etc...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sport said:

They overcame having 35 year old Jack Johnson playing serious defensive minutes in 2022. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the Blue Jackets four whole ass years ago. I feel good for him, though, what with all the crap he's been through with his parents stealing and losing most of his career earnings. I'm glad his cup didn't come as part of the Penguins. 

I forget if it was Game 6 or Game 5 of the finals, but I saw someone in the front row wearing a Jack Johnson jersey. I'm a fan of 4th line jerseys, but even I thought that one was a little much. In a perfect world where Girard doesn't get hurt, Jack Johnson never sees the ice.

23 hours ago, Sport said:

It's honestly weird how bad they were that year because clearly they had some dudes on that team. Matt Duchene was there too. And we all thought at the time what terrible luck it was to go through that season and wind up with only the 4th pick. The guy they got just won the Norris and Conn Smythe, the three guys taken in front of him are good (Nico and Heiskanen) to full-on bust (Nolan Patrick), but in a redraft Cale Makar goes #1 every time. Hockey is funny. 

2016-2017 was a perfect storm. You had the Sakic/Roy fall out where Roy quits 6 weeks before the season starts. That was such a gut punch to the fanbase, I can't even imagine how much it affected the players. Then you add on Duchene moping around all year asking to leave while putting up a -30, the starting goalie Varlamov only playing like 30 games, and both Erik Johnson and Landeskog being injured throughout the year. 

I know there were talks of blowing the whole thing up after that year; Firing Bednar, trading Landeskog, etc. Thank goodness they didn't do that.

21 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Really?  Was it that bad?

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

The Tampa reign of terror wasn't/isn't that terrible. I mainly have issues Maroon and Kucherov because they are some of the poorest sports I've ever seen. I love Hedman, and everyone else is fine if not a little boring.

• Like 4

jNTsTyQ.png