VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (Complete)

VyCade

(16/32) San Francisco 49ers

I'm one of the few that actually thinks the 49ers' Terrell Owens-era uniforms are great.  It could have been their best kit, but the lack of consistency squanders its potential.  I made the uniform properly consistent and added a black alternate.  One that actually makes sense to have, unlike the Kaepernick-era black alt.  I also added a hip logo using an unused logo that you might have seen if you've visited the team page on the site.

spacer.png

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (16/32) (49ers)

(17/32) New York Giants

The Giants' kit is bottom 5 in the league.  It's a mess.  Not only that, it somehow used to be worse.  Before the team started wearing white pants with their current jerseys, the only thing consistent between the home and the away besides the helmet and socks was the fact that the pants were GRAY.  Why it was ever like this, I'll never understand, but this was the rundown with their kit when they won their last two rings: No red on the home jersey, no blue on the away jersey.  No stripes on the home jersey, but stripes on the away jersey.  Unspaced stripes on the home pants, spaced stripes on the away pants AND the distribution of red and blue on the pants flips.  The pants are now white and--if I'm not mistaken--consistent between the home and away, but the jerseys are still the same, and it's beyond awful.

Then, there's the logo.  It's bad.  It was never good.  I don't care how old it is, it has no impact.  Who thought having the initials of your city spelled out on your helmet in lowercase was a good idea?  The old Lawrence Taylor-era logo is far superior, so I brought it back.  I just made the underlining red for the sake of color balance.

spacer.png

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (17/32) (Giants)

(18/32) Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars can't seem to learn the lesson that removing yellow from their color scheme is a bad idea.  Their current kit isn't as bad as the last time they did this, but I'd still take their last bunch of uniforms over what they have now, lame helmet gradient and all.  I went with something relatively simple, but kept a more modern font and added a shoulder logo to prevent it from losing too much of the Jags' identity.  I also opted not to have a teal jersey.  While there are rare instances across sports of teal working as a primary, the Jaguars were never one of them and have ALWAYS looked better in black.  Finally, I simplified both logos and removed the shading from them.  It felt superfluous to me.  Logos don't need to be these artfully crafted boondoggles, they just need to be memorable.  No need for anything more than that.

spacer.png

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (18/32) (Jaguars)

(19/32) New York Jets

While I approve of the recent choice to bring back black as part of the color scheme, I think the Jets tried to modernize their uniform a little too much.  The other thing is that the black jersey and pants is a bad idea.  The combination of green and black only works with black as the secondary color, unless the green is, like...neon.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (19/32) (Jets)

(20/32) Detroit Lions

I just submitted this to the site's Twitter contest last week, but I wasn't able to explain it as well as I might have liked due to the character limit.  I decided to incorporate the old school pair of bars from back in the day, adding them to the current logo and working them in throughout the uniform.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the blue pants when Detroit revealed their current kit a few years ago, so I included it as an option for an away set.  I also--despite generally disapproving of black alternates for teams that don't have black in their scheme (Kaepernick's 49ers come to mind once again)--made a black alt.  The one the lions had back in the Matt Millen days was far too good to simply let the idea fall by the wayside after black was removed as an accent a few seasons ago.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (20/32) (Lions)

I like the double stripe on the Lions, however I would ditch it on the helmet logo. It would be a great helmet stripe on top of the helmet, but it’s too cluttered along with the logo. I’d have it as the “primary” logo, but not actually on the helmet. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I like the double stripe on the Lions, however I would ditch it on the helmet logo. It would be a great helmet stripe on top of the helmet, but it’s too cluttered along with the logo. I’d have it as the “primary” logo, but not actually on the helmet. 

I went back and forth on this for a while, so I understand the idea.  I ultimately just preferred the current outcome, but it's a fair critique.

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (21/32) (Packers)
On 5/6/2022 at 6:15 PM, VyCade said:

(4/32) Denver Broncos

As much as I love the Broncos' Orange Crush jerseys, I don't think orange should be their primary color.  Much like the Bills, the history of the team plays a big role here.  The antithesis to the Bills' red helmets, the Broncos' orange jerseys have spelled postseason disaster in many situations, especially in Super Bowls.  I don't think Peyton Manning has ever been more brutally beaten in the postseason and I KNOW there's never been a bigger Super Bowl deficit than the 45 points Denver lost to San Francisco by.  Combine that with John Elway finally winning it all the FIRST YEAR they started wearing blue at home and won that game IN that blue, and the choice is clear to me.

Don't get me wrong, though.  All of that isn't to say there's no value in that orange as an alternate.  There definitely is, but blue needs to be front and center.  However, I don't like the navy they currently use and decided to revert them back to the proper royal blue from back in the day.  I also created something of a hybrid logo for the helmet.  It's essentially the classic logo, but with the current font used for the D and the current bronco coming out of it.  I've found that, while their very rarely seen full-body horse logo is terrible (you can find it on the site if you're unfamiliar), the upper half of it works fine by itself.

spacer.png

This looks similar to a concept I’ve seen from the ‘80s, just before they started going to Super Bowls. It too changed the primary to royal blue. 

I like the Broncos in orange myself, but I understand your reasoning. 

(22/32) Carolina Panthers

I don't know why the Panthers even bother with silver anymore.  Their aways confine it entirely to the helmet, even changing the color of their pants to white.  It's easier just to dump it, and I don't think the scheme is any worse off for it, either.  I went with a sleeker, more modern design than what they have now.  Something to note about the helmet: I obviously went with an alternate logo, but I also used the old version of it from before they reworked their primary some ten years ago.  I never understood why they changed it.  It was never necessary.  To me, it was only made worse and they should really change it back.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (22/32) (Panthers)

(23/32) New England Patriots

The Patriots are in a similar boat to the Panthers where I can find zero reason for them to use silver anymore.  It mainly just exists on the helmet now.  Definitely looks better than the Tom Brady uniforms though.  Beyond getting rid of that, this is a pretty straightforward redux, except for the helmet.  I used an old unused logo that you might be familiar with if you browse the site enough.  I thought it would fit more with a silver-less kit.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (23/32) (Patriots)

(24/32) Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders have needed to modernize for some time now.  The black and silver that was intimidating for years to the point of NWA wearing their jerseys in videos has stagnated over the years.  I took the opportunity give a more modern look to the Raiders, including the logo.  The Raiders' logo is a classic, yes.  It also looks like someone's dad having a mid-life crisis in the black hole.  It needs to be updated for modern standards of intimidation, so I took a crack at it with a beard and a bandana, while maintaining the eyepatch.

spacer.png

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (24/32) (Raiders)

(25/32) Los Angeles Rams

So many things went wrong with the Rams' current kit.  The gradients are bad, the logo is lame, they made the shade of yellow awkwardly light, the sublimated stuff on the numbers adds nothing, it's just wack.  The line on the horn also doesn't work for me personally.  I understand the idea, but it being off-center with no second line to balance it out looks really off to me.  I added a second line myself and extrapolated that into what is, essentially, the Eric Dickerson-era kit.  However, I also know there were a lot of fans of the old navy and white look, so I added a home and away set for that scheme as well.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (25/32) (Rams)

(26/32) Baltimore Ravens

I think the Ravens wearing black as their primary works better than the purple, though I imagine there'll be some conflicting opinions from those of you reading this, and it's not as though the purple looks bad, so there's an alt for that.  I also added a hip logo.  Outside of that, not much is too terribly different except for the logo.  I recolored the original version of the raven logo from the team's early days.  I think it looks much more aggressive and cool than the current logo, so I just rebalanced the colors so that it wasn't so pale and put that on there.

spacer.png

• VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (26/32) (Ravens)
  • VyCade changed the title to VyCade's NFL Team Uniform Rework Project (27/32) (Saints)
On 5/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, VyCade said:

(22/32) Carolina Panthers

I don't know why the Panthers even bother with silver anymore.  Their aways confine it entirely to the helmet, even changing the color of their pants to white.  It's easier just to dump it, and I don't think the scheme is any worse off for it, either.  I went with a sleeker, more modern design than what they have now.  Something to note about the helmet: I obviously went with an alternate logo, but I also used the old version of it from before they reworked their primary some ten years ago.  I never understood why they changed it.  It was never necessary.  To me, it was only made worse and they should really change it back.

spacer.png

Way too black-heavy IMO. 

On 5/29/2022 at 3:12 AM, VyCade said:

though I imagine there'll be some conflicting opinions from those of you reading this,

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree, what with them owning purple in the AFC and two of their division mates already wearing black.

BUT, if you're really gonna go that route, perhaps you might want the numbers to have a little more contrast.

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

9 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree, what with them owning purple in the AFC and two of their division mates already wearing black.

BUT, if you're really gonna go that route, perhaps you might want the numbers to have a little more contrast.

I imagine you're referring to making the numbers white instead of purple.  I considered this when originally designing the kit, but the issue then becomes the drop shadow not being very identifiable.  An issue that the Raven's definitely have with their current black alt.

(28/32) Seattle Seahawks

While I believe the Steve Largent-era kit to be Seattle's best, the presence of silver kind of muddies things.  A simple blue and green scheme works just fine without any other extraneous accents.

spacer.png

• Like 1