NJ Devils Third Jersey Concept

bretkenworthy

In late November of 2021, The New Jersey Devils released their first ever third jersey in the franchise’s history. Although I like the design the team developed, I started playing around with ideas that I thought would look cool on a pro-sports team that featured the name the Devils.

I started out by sketching simplified devil & goat heads and soon started to see the resemblance of a vintage goalie mask. Next, shapes of hockey sticks, a puck and a pitchfork were built into the design to help give the logo depth.

Once the base of the concept was figured out, I brought it to my iPad and started working on the fine detail and colours. Originally the eyes were just circles but once finalized I cut two slants into them to add some attitude.

The main inspiration for the logo came from the simple shapes that make up vintage goalie masks and abstract imagery that represent hockey and the history of the Devils. Tarot cards, famous pop-culture logos and Boba Fett’s armor all helped bring the supernatural vibes within the logo to life. The colours swamp green, jersey red and black are used to give the team a familiar but new bold look.

A subtle gradient brings the colour swap green to life and the renderings of abstract fire warns opponents danger is near. The secondary mark plays homage to the original Colorado Rockies’ logo that was in a shape of a triangle. Team branding features a gothic inspired font that gives the word-mark authority.

Ler me know what everyone thinks!  

More info here.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 2

The execution and presentation here is fantastic. There isn't much that I would change. I'm personally not a huge fan of the triangles on the sleeve stripes, but it fits in with the identity you created. Maybe I'm just a little too traditionalist when it comes to striping.

Though I think a complex design like this might better fit a minor league affiliate or another "Devils" team rather than the simple New Jersey brand, I really like this idea for a logo!

That said, the integrated composition of different elements is clever, but the goalie mask and pitchfork aren't quite reading properly to me.

Having the blades of the hockey sticks higher than the chin puck (closer to the skull aesthetic on your pen & paper sketches) would help.

I'd also suggest lowering and enlarging the pitchfork and adding subtle barbs to its prongs, so it defines the bottom of the nose. (Maybe adding a bit of curl to the bottom corner of the eyes could define the top of the nose.)

Some small things, the tape on the sticks' shaft could parallel the top of the head, and the whole logo could have a thick black outline.

Other than the aforementioned pitchfork, the triangle alt logo is great!

Also, that logo animation is totally gorgeous! Very smooth and the glowing effect is excellent.

I keep waffling about the uniform...  The black/green gradient is wonderful, and great for those swamp vibes, but I'm not 100% sold on the striping. IMO the sleeves are too complex for a such a plain hem stripe. First thought, maybe have only red upward triangles, on the black part of a gradient sleeve, with green cuffs below the red line, and add green below the red hem stripe.

Anyways, thanks for putting up with all my nitpicking, cuz I think it's really only a bunch of minor tweaks before you're totally golden!

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:54 AM, vtgco said:

Though I think a complex design like this might better fit a minor league affiliate or another "Devils" team rather than the simple New Jersey brand, I really like this idea for a logo!

That said, the integrated composition of different elements is clever, but the goalie mask and pitchfork aren't quite reading properly to me.

Having the blades of the hockey sticks higher than the chin puck (closer to the skull aesthetic on your pen & paper sketches) would help.

I'd also suggest lowering and enlarging the pitchfork and adding subtle barbs to its prongs, so it defines the bottom of the nose. (Maybe adding a bit of curl to the bottom corner of the eyes could define the top of the nose.)

Some small things, the tape on the sticks' shaft could parallel the top of the head, and the whole logo could have a thick black outline.

Other than the aforementioned pitchfork, the triangle alt logo is great!

Also, that logo animation is totally gorgeous! Very smooth and the glowing effect is excellent.

I keep waffling about the uniform...  The black/green gradient is wonderful, and great for those swamp vibes, but I'm not 100% sold on the striping. IMO the sleeves are too complex for a such a plain hem stripe. First thought, maybe have only red upward triangles, on the black part of a gradient sleeve, with green cuffs below the red line, and add green below the red hem stripe.

Anyways, thanks for putting up with all my nitpicking, cuz I think it's really only a bunch of minor tweaks before you're totally golden!

Thanks for the kind words.  Always love this CC, great points.  

On 5/6/2022 at 7:22 AM, JCRGraphix said:

The execution and presentation here is fantastic. There isn't much that I would change. I'm personally not a huge fan of the triangles on the sleeve stripes, but it fits in with the identity you created. Maybe I'm just a little too traditionalist when it comes to striping.

Cheers!  The idea behind this was to be as un-traditional as possible.   Thanks for the feedback.  

• Like 1