AZ Cardinals Logo Concept

AHcreative

Hey all! Haven't posted in a while but I've still been lurking and creating on my own time (whenever I can find some). 

I came up with an idea for an Arizona Cardinals logo that I would appreciate feedback on. I posted it to facebook a couple minutes ago, and this is that post:

3dgWJXw.png

Thanks for viewing! Let me know what you think! 

170  views and no replies... I started here in 2005 and everyone was really supportive and gave great constructive criticism. Now, it's a free-for-all for those that are trying to get their clout on social media. 

Now I know why I stopped posting... The love of the game is dead.

I'll still lurk, as I have for years. But g-d damn, this place isn't what it used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, AHcreative said:

170  views and no replies... I started here in 2005 and everyone was really supportive and gave great constructive criticism. Now, it's a free-for-all for those that are trying to get their clout on social media. 

Now I know why I stopped posting... The love of the game is dead.

I'll still lurk, as I have for years. But g-d damn, this place isn't what it used to be. 

I apologize for the lack of convo, so I’ll start it off. The eye looks kinda small and to the right. Other than that you’re doing alright.

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Cards are definitely due for a complete rebrand, but I think they need to stray away from an update of this cardinal logo again. The expression yours is making looks like he's more uncomfortable versus intimidating or mean. I also think there is a little too much line work going on for what should be a simpler logo- the rear of the head flows a bit odd to my eyes.

I'm also not sure of re-introducing gold in place of yellow. They should own the red/blue/yellow and maybe allow yellow to be more prominent.

• Like 1

SDoM4b2.png

Rough 2nd draft, but I took some things into consideration. Simplified logo, shorter tuft on the bird,  Updated colors. 

Red/Navy/"Athletic Gold"  seems to be the way to go. 

Still having trouble with the eye. To me, it's one of the better eyes I've done, as they have been my Achilles' Heel in design.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for viewing! 

Animal logos are always a balancing act between making a logo that's a realistic version of the animal and a logo that looks fierce and prominent and has features that stand out. I see three big changes you've made to the original logo along this axis.

1) the jagged beak ... I like the realism of it and don't think it detracts from the ferocity or prominence of the logo. Good call.

2) the height of head ... this may have been a move in the wrong direction. Imagine a rectangle around the logo but as close to it as possible. The fraction of that rectangle that is empty space just went up a lot, and I think that hurts the prominence of the logo in most applications. That last little feather sticking up at the top isn't adding enough to the logo to compensate for that.

3) the eye ... by making it smaller than the original logo, it's more realistic. But I think it's a move in the wrong direction anyways. It hurts the flow and cohesiveness of the logo. It increases realism only a little bit.

I do like the navy and gold colors brought in. However, I have nothing against the copper beak if it copper became a subtle part of the Cardinals identity.

• Like 3

The shape of the head seems wonky.

When it comes to sports logos I think of one thing: does it intimidate? or at the very least does it evoke maturity/seriousness/royalty (or other feelings of positivity and respect)

Look you want constructive feedback, don't make the logo a laughing stock. 

What is my suggestion then? Go in a different direction altogether. Why reinvent the wheel? Make a hovercraft! Mimicking a design that has worked in the past won't necessarily bring success. It's always the ones who push the envelope that get people excited- kind of like when the White Sox upgraded their logo decades ago and never looked back. This is especially true when there isn't anything inherently wrong with the current Cardinals logo.

Keep on designin'

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think if you are looking to update their current logo... you should try changing up the shape a little more. As mentioned above... maybe try a new direction. Different angle or something. Reinvent what their logo is.

Something that might help overall as well is to streamline your linework. There are a couple of spots where there are multiple angles but they aren't needed. For example in the beak.

spacer.png