Padres 2020 Redesign with Orange

coco1997

Hi everyone,

I think most people were satisfied with the Padres' 2020 redesign and their long-awaited return to brown and gold. However, after seeing these recent photos of Manny Machado in a Tony Gwynn throwback jersey, I wanted to experiment with what the Padres' current set would look like in their '70s brown/gold/orange color scheme. I also dropped the pinstripes and added a gold front paneled cap for the home and alt: 

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:
spacer.png

PADRES HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Not necessarily arguing that this is better than what they wear right now, just different. C&C appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, coco1997 said:

Hi everyone,

I think most people were satisfied with the Padres' 2020 redesign and their long-awaited return to brown and gold. However, after seeing these recent photos of Manny Machado in a Tony Gwynn throwback jersey, I wanted to experiment with what the Padres' current set would look like in their '70s brown/gold/orange color scheme. I also dropped the pinstripes and added a gold front paneled cap for the home and alt: 

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:
spacer.png

PADRES HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Not necessarily arguing that this is better than what they wear right now, just different. C&C appreciated! 

The alternate really looks great! The home and road have too much orange for me in proportion to the other colors. Great idea!

13 hours ago, woody86 said:

The alternate really looks great! The home and road have too much orange for me in proportion to the other colors. Great idea!

Totally fair! I was basing the color balance off those '70s unis, but here are the home and road set with yellow scripts and numbers:

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:
spacer.png

I suspect this will be a bit more to your liking. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 9:48 AM, coco1997 said:

Totally fair! I was basing the color balance off those '70s unis, but here are the home and road set with yellow scripts and numbers:

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:
spacer.png

I suspect this will be a bit more to your liking. 

Looks great!

The update with the orange limited to outlines is great. And the way you incorporated orange into the friar logo, by simply recoloring the bat orange, is great. That move simply improves the logo even if your task wasn't adding orange to the Padres color scheme.

52 minutes ago, Hawkeye15 said:

The update with the orange limited to outlines is great. And the way you incorporated orange into the friar logo, by simply recoloring the bat orange, is great. That move simply improves the logo even if your task wasn't adding orange to the Padres color scheme.

11 hours ago, woody86 said:

Looks great!

Thank you!

On 5/17/2022 at 12:33 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Small tweak:

The sleeve stripes are brown/orange/gold and the pants stripes are brown/gold/orange.

Probably should be one or the other.

Good call! Here's an updated set with brown/gold/orange striping on both the pants and sleeves:

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:

spacer.png

PADRES HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

On 5/18/2022 at 2:59 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

I like this a lot more than I thought I would when I opened it, though I agree with Steamroller about the striping.

Would also consider bringing back the pinstripes, though mostly because I like them.

Good work!

Thanks! Here's the set with pinstripes:

PADRES HOME:

spacer.png

PADRES ROAD:
spacer.png

PADRES HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Not really a direction I'd want to go in but it does still look pretty good. 

• Like 1

I could definitely see those alts working.

I definitely don't hate this set. I actually kind of like it. But I think what they have now is a modern classic and I'd rather they not muddy the waters.

• Like 1