2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

21 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Hornets are really the best example. Were an expansion team, got their old name back, but don't lie to their fans about what happened in the past.

But the NBA tries to. They decided to give all pre-2001/02 records to the Bobcats/Hornets franchise that started play in 2003. And pretend the Hornets/Pelicans were a team that started play in 2001.

The NHL did it right. The Jets may be back in Winnipeg, but in name only but are still the franchise that started in Atlanta as the Thrashers in 1999. And the old Jets lineage and history is in Arizona with the Coyotes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VikWings said:

But the NBA tries to. They decided to give all pre-2001/02 records to the Bobcats/Hornets franchise that started play in 2003. And pretend the Hornets/Pelicans were a team that started play in 2001.

Did the NBA eventually do this? Fxcking joke. At least Cleveland cared/needed a diaper change when their team left. Noboby in Charlotte protested or even batted an eye when the original Hornets moved -- or even when the Bobcats arrived

• Dislike 2

6uXNWAo.png

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

Did the NBA eventually do this? Fxcking joke. At least Cleveland cared/needed a diaper change when their team left. Noboby in Charlotte protested or even batted an eye when the original Hornets moved -- or even when the Bobcats arrived

Like hell they didn't. The team was moved because George Shinn was a sexual assaulter and the fans, wisely, didn't want to support him so they didn't go to games. The team demanded a new stadium built on the city's dime, so the plan for what is now Spectrum Center was drawn up and put to a referendum, which failed. It failed because shortly before Mayor Pat McCrory (yes, the bathroom bill guy) vetoed a living wage ordinance for city employees. Many ministers thought it was unfair for the city to not pay their employees while building a massive arena so they led a campaign to vote against the arena referendum. After that failed the city even drew up a plan to just build the damn thing anyway as long as Shinn was removed as owner. The NBA, being the cowards that they are, refused and thus the Hornets were moved. The loss of the original Hornets falls on exactly two people: George Shinn for being an awful person and Pat McCrory for vetoing that wage ordinance. Had he not the referendum most likely would've passed and the team would've stayed.

And trust me. People in Charlotte cared. The Charlotte Hornets meant the world to the city and the loss of them was a tragedy. The Bobcats were even more of a tragedy. There's a reason people campaigned so hard to change the name - it had to be the Charlotte Hornets. Anything else was wrong.

Do I necessarily agree with the NBA's decision to combine the Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets franchises? Not really, I think a Winnipeg-type deal would've been better where the Hornets got to celebrate the old franchise's history and players but not officially the same franchise (as long as NOLA didn't celebrate any of the OG Charlotte Hornets' history - they can have everything they did after stealing our team). Do I really care? No. We get to have our history and team back and New Orleans seems perfectly happy as the Pelicans.

I've never understood the obsession with "franchise" histories anyway. All a franchise is is a license to operate a certain team within a league. That license may move but the fans don't move with it - why would fans in New Orleans care about what the team did in Charlotte? They didn't root for any of that. Why would fans in Oklahoma City care about what the Sonics did in Seattle? They didn't root for that. Setting all that aside, the Browns franchise didn't even move, the license to operate an NFL franchise stayed in Cleveland and a new one was granted to Art Modell and the Baltimore Ravens. They are not the same franchise, even if the players and personnel moved.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

I appreciate the brief Hornets history lesson. The whole Bobcats stuff is what really throws the entire thing off for me. So now the NBA considers the 2002 New Orleans Hornets to be an expansion team, correct? And NBA history books now make it look like the Hornets changed their name to Bobcats or 10 seasons for no reason whatsoever. And why did the city of Charlotte want to keep the team records but not the name 'Hornets'? That literally makes zero sense.

Again, pretending an entire team (players, coaches, front office) and creating bogus history just didn't relocate is beyond ridiculous. It's easier to tell the story of how Art Modell took his team and dipped out of Cleveland than to go on and on about a convoluted faux history of how the Browns never left and the lineage is all the same. Like how silly is it for the Ravens to be considered the fastest expansion team to win a championship in pro sports history? That's really what the NFL is trying to tell us? C'mon now. 🙄

• Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

You've made your points, fellas. Best I can tell, no one is changing their mind on the matter. How about we circle back to the actual topic of the thread?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Rats, I was in the middle of typing a response.

That throwback Giants-Bears matchup in October should look pretty good.

• LOL 1

24 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Like how silly is it for the Ravens to be considered the fastest expansion team to win a championship in pro sports history? 

Just BTW, the fastest expansion team to win a chip in pro sports history are the Milwaukee Bucks, who started play in 1968-69 and won thier first championship in 1970-71. For more modern history, the Arizona Diamondbacks started play in 1998 and won a championship in 2001.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

11 minutes ago, throwmesomepics said:

With these new throwbacks we should see throwbacks from mismatching eras way more often. Like imagine if the bears wear the 1936 throwback against this Giants uniform from the 90s. And the giants classics vs the commanders gradient textured away numbers should be interesting.

I always enjoy a nice mix of traditional vs. modern. It always makes the overdesigned uniforms look a little less offensive when at least one of the teams looks good.

I'm curious what this means for New York's Color Rush white throwbacks. Will those only be worn once now? It's so unclear what therules are at this point. 

And is that black Panthers look considered Color Rush, or has the assumption that alternate helmets can't be worn with standard jerseys been put to rest? The Saints seemingly couldn't pair the black helmet with the black jersey (Thank God) because they wanted to keep their white Color Rush, which has me thinking this is the case for Carolina.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan10 said:

I'm curious what this means for New York's Color Rush white throwbacks. Will those only be worn once now? It's so unclear what therules are at this point. 

And is that black Panthers look considered Color Rush, or has the assumption that alternate helmets can't be worn with standard jerseys been put to rest? The Saints seemingly couldn't pair the black helmet with the black jersey (Thank God) because they wanted to keep their white Color Rush, which has me thinking this is the case for Carolina.

My understanding is that the league has four different designations for uniforms - White, Color, Alt, and Color Rush. My assumption is that any monochrome set can be designated as the "Color Rush" uniform, thus the Panthers designated their all-black uniform as such and can therefore wear the black helmet with it. Doesn't replace the blue as the alternate if I understand everything correctly. This is probably how the Bengals will wear their normal whites with the white helmet, by designating it as the Color Rush. As for the Giants, presumably they get to keep the Color Rush and designated the throwbacks as their Alternate.

• Like 3

Are throwbacks subject to the 5-year rule (helmets and jerseys)?  Or is it like back in the mid 00s where the Eagles could pull off the yellow/blue throwbacks and then kelly green just a couple of years later?

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Are throwbacks subject to the 5-year rule (helmets and jerseys)?  Or is it like back in the mid 00s where the Eagles could pull off the yellow/blue throwbacks and then kelly green just a couple of years later?

My parsing of the rules goes that *jerseys* have to stay for five years. Each team has four slots for jerseys (home, road, and two alts, whether they be classic, alternate, or color rush) so when they introduce a new jersey, it has to be in at least one of your slots for a combine five years before you can introduce a new one on a two year turnaround time (or shorter if there’s a new owner). You can change which slots the jerseys are in at any point within those five years with a one year turnaround, and you dont have to wear them, but you still have to wait at least five years after its introduced to trash a jersey in order to release a new one (as long as you give the league a two-year advance on your plans).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bathysphere said:

My parsing of the rules goes that *jerseys* have to stay for five years. Each team has four slots for jerseys (home, road, and two alts, whether they be classic, alternate, or color rush) so when they introduce a new jersey, it has to be in at least one of your slots for a combine five years before you can introduce a new one on a two year turnaround time (or shorter if there’s a new owner). You can change which slots the jerseys are in at any point within those five years with a one year turnaround, and you dont have to wear them, but you still have to wait at least five years after its introduced to trash a jersey in order to release a new one (as long as you give the league a two-year advance on your plans).

That's kinda how I thought it was too, and I vaguely recall this being the rule throughout the RBK era, so I wonder how the Eagles had different throwbacks (worn once each) in '07 and '10.  Maybe they kept the '07 in the guide and just didn't wear it?  But their black would have taken up the other slot, so there wouldn't have been any room for the kelly green.

Basically my point it, can a team that's gone through more than two helmet colors in its history (including a leather look) go with a different throwback each year now, or are they "locked into" one for a while?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's kinda how I thought it was too, and I vaguely recall this being the rule throughout the RBK era, so I wonder how the Eagles had different throwbacks (worn once each) in '07 and '10.  Maybe they kept the '07 in the guide and just didn't wear it?  But their black would have taken up the other slot, so there wouldn't have been any room for the kelly green.

Basically my point it, can a team that's gone through more than two helmet colors in its history (including a leather look) go with a different throwback each year now, or are they "locked into" one for a while?

Every NFL jersey in the Nike era is subject to the 5 year rule, from what I understand. Teams can’t introduce new throwbacks every year. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.