Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (Washington & Wazzu ... the end)

Hawkeye15

My proposal is for college football to move to megaconferences. Each Power 5 conference would absorb the Group of 5 teams to yield these conferences:

SEC: 28 teams

ACC: 28 teams

Big Ten: 26 teams

Big 12: 24 teams

Pac-12: 24 teams

Now there’s no glass ceiling on team in FBS. Every team, from Akron to Alabama, has a similar road map to the college football playoff. The only question left is scheduling. How do you schedule a 28-team conference? Algorithmic matching!

Here’s a template for what each individual teams’ schedule would look like:

spacer.png

Weeks 1 and 13 are prescheduled non-conference games. Weeks 2 and 3 are prescheduled conference games against randomly selected opponents, subject to playing one team from the top half of the previous year’s conference standings and one team from the bottom half.

Weeks 4 through 12 algorithmically match opponents every week, subject to prescheduled home/away designations throughout the year. Each team has one bye during this period and one prescheduled game against a rival.

The algorithm is quite simple. Line up each of the teams according to home and away designations and order them by conference standings. Match the top team set to play at home to the top team set to play on the road (if they have not already been scheduled to play each other), then go to the next team in the standings and proceed until all opponents have been matched. A poor team gets a fortunate schedule early on and wins some games? They will soon be scheduled with the giants. A great team loses a pair of close games right away? They will soon be scheduled with the minnows and elevated back up.

To avoid shenanigans, you would only sort the conference standings by conference record and then randomly order the teams with the same record. This also means there could be weekly scheduling shows to reveal the (quasi-) random matchups that were created.

Week 14 algorithmically matches opponents as well, but with no home/away designations set beforehand. This ensures that if a conference has 2 giants that have somehow avoided each other to the end, they will meet in the last week. Home and away would be decided post-matching by scheduling in the location opposite those teams’ last meeting. And if a matchup is a conference decider, the conference could turn it into a neutral site conference championship game.

I simulated the 2022-23 college football season and at the very end will reveal the resulting conference standings, the eight-team (!) playoff, and the national champion.

But first, onto the conferences where I have designed new uniform sets for every team under the constraint that a casual fan be able to notice that the uniform is different than it was before. Onto the SEC!

• Hate 1

spacer.png

Rivalry matchups:

• Alabama and Auburn
  • Florida and Georgia
  • Florida Atlantic and Florida International
  • Georgia Southern and Troy
  • Georgia State and Georgia Tech
  • Kentucky and Louisville
  • Louisiana and Louisiana-Monroe
  • LSU and Tulane
  • Memphis and Western Kentucky
  • Mississippi State and Ole Miss
  • Middle Tennessee and UAB
  • South Alabama and Southern Miss
  • Tennessee and Vanderbilt
  • UCF and USF

• Like 2

I will post the uniform concepts in pairs by rivalry matchups. First, the Iron Bowl:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• The pants stripe is now a double houndstooth stripe.
  • The houndstooth pattern is also sublimated on the uniform collars.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Incorporates the Auburn A into the sleeve design.
  • Makes the striping consistent across helmet, shirt, and pants.

• Like 9

• Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (2/130)
  • Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (4/130)

The concepts so far have only used small deviations on classic designs, but the ones to come will be larger overhauls. The schedules will also start providing a few nuggets about future designs.

8NWvJRv.png

vCoJvuY.png

HlS45QV.png

cuo4rv1.png

wWk5JTs.png

• More reliance on blue than FAU's current identity.
  • New striping pattern on the pants, shoulders, and helmet.
  • I don't believe FAU has ever put this owl logo on their helmet, but that's a shame. I think it's a perfect helmet logo for them.
  • Like 4

0USIRSc.png

fstnfkE.png

r4lUInN.png

• The gold features on the uniforms have a reflective shine.
  • The bottom of the helmet features darkened blades of grass all the way around. The panther appears as if it's emerging from the tall grass. This use of the grass is a nod to FIU's previous primary logo.
  • The bottom of the pants also features the grass in a subtle way.
  • The sleeve caps are also darkened to match the darkened shade of blue/white.
  • Like 6

• Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (6/130)

This looks like it's gonna be a great series, this is a massive undertaking and I'm excited to see how you've completely reshuffled the NCAA and the first couple of uniform concepts are amazing. Looking forward to seeing this series continue, I'll be sure to follow along!

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

45 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Other than geography, is there a reason to not have 5 conferences of 26 teams each instead of what you have at the moment? 

Uniforms look great so far. 

I tried to incorporate historical conference affiliations with geographic considerations as best as possible. I could do 26 in each, but it ends in a weird mash where states get oddly split into different conferences and LSU or Iowa (or both) end up in the Big 12, which is just odd.

Thank you for the kind words. We press on.

z8Dvi3W.png

Ku94MQa.png

• Kept the simplicity and timeless look, with small tweaks.
  • Brought back the Eagle head logo from the 80's and 90's, but with a circle around it. Replaced the helmet numbers with the eagle.
  • Single design element is the stripe on the back of the jersey. Have any football jerseys ever had something like this? I'm not sure.
  • Like 6

• Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (8/130)

RW0bDSp.png

tyuC4MO.png

sWf7tg3.png

• Georgia Tech is a classic program and deserve a more classic design than they've gotten.
  • Biggest change: white helmet a the primary. Georgia Tech has mostly used a gold helmet as a primary, but did use a white helmet in 1965-1966 and 1969-1971.
  • Double stripes that alternate colors, increasing the usage of navy somewhat.
  • Like 8

• Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (10/130)

dnhJma7.png

kqwNBnS.png

PZNMn82.png

Ned9jM9.png

• The checkers are fine! But the whole sleeve cap is unnecessary. Use the checkers in a double stripe instead.
  • The Kentucky throwback is probably my favorite throwback in the series. Part of me just wants to make that the primary uniform.
  • Like 3

6e4eB1S.png

9wNMCOE.png

5PJRrke.png

• Louisville has a bit of an identify crisis with Adidas changing their designs so many times in the last 10/15 years.
  • Go back to the Brian Brohm / Michael Bush era design with the loops on the shoulder.
  • Both the shoulder loops and the helmet stripe taper and then switch from red to black with a cardinal feather effect.
  • Like 5

• Hawkeye15 changed the title to Megaconference College Football by Hawkeye15 (Kentucky & Louisville)