MLB Phantom Francise: Detroit Cardinals

coco1997

Inspired by @Victormrey's excellent New York Reds design and Todd Radom's recent podcast discussion about the Cardinals' failed move to Detroit in the 1930s, I decided to take a stab at imagining what the Redbirds would look like had they successfully migrated north. 

First, the road wordmark:

spacer.png

CARDINALS HOME:
spacer.png

CARDINALS ROAD:

spacer.png

CARDINALS THROWBACK:

spacer.png

A few notes:

- I used the Red Wings' red, HEX #CE1126
- The biggest change is obviously the road wordmark, which replaces "Cardinals" with the "Detroit" script from the Tigers' road uniform.

- While essentially the Cardinals unis, a few Tigers flourishes include fancy belt loops, headspoon piping and Detroit style block numbers.
- Sleeve numbers replace front numbers a la the Tigers' late '60s road jerseys
- The road set has a bluish tint to evoke the Cardinals' 1976-84 road powder blues
- The throwback set is a recolored version of the Tigers' 1972-84 road uniforms

C&C appreciated!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Pretty odd idea, but you make it look good and fairly realistic!

To get kinda nitpicky, I'd say the "Detroit" script could afford to have a couple changes to make it pair more with the "Cardinals" script (it should be skewed a bit less rightward, and the tops of the "T"s should end in diagonal cuts rather than the horizontal swashes)

I'd be curious to see if this could exist in a sorta Red Wings-y style, with the brand stripped down to red and white only (barring the gray of an away jersey.)

Weird to think of Detroit being a two team city in any sport. Of course back then, St. Louis actually was.

Apparently the Cardinals also considered moving to Milwaukee in the 1940s. Which would have been very ironic considering the St. Louis Browns were the OG Brewers.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

34 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

The idea of having Detroit be a two team city is very mind boggling, but in its peak in the 1940s-1950s, it could had worked. Very nice integration from the various STL and Detroit teams.

Detroit (1950 pop. 1,849,568) was bigger than Philadelphia of 1900, 1910 and 1920 when the Athletics were in the City of Brotherly Love and shared it with the Phillies. Starting in 1950 Philly hit 2 million so absolutely!

• Like 2