MLB x NIKE Refresh

MJD7

Houston Astros

I tried to inject a bit more "fun" into the Astros' look by adding a tequila sunrise shooting star & sleeve stripes, as well as elevating orange to the primary color over navy.

Wkq7bIZ.png

rxuIfWC.png

4HFYBGe.png

cCqpvQB.png

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Applause 2

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Houston Astros 11/30)

Kansas City Royals

I like a lot of what the Royals did in their recent redesign, but I kept the "Kansas City" script for their road & royal blue jerseys, & added a new number font that better matches their logo.

3R7eNuQ.png

39BrfHl.png

X2HFxqb.png

lBAtjs8.png

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Kansas City Royals 12/30)

These are all inspired designs. I rarely say this about concepts on here, but with very few exceptions, I'd be elated if these teams adopted similar looks to what you've presented here.  

I'm a big fan of bringing back the '80s polyester-era aesthetic but in the modern-day button-down style, which you did perfectly here with the Reds and Cubs. And that Astros look is a perfect way to inject some life into that set while keeping it within the boundaries of the team's visual history. 

If I have any quibbles, they're minor ones:

1. While I generally love the consistent use of red/black/turquoise for the D-Backs, I worry there isn't enough contrast between the off-white home and sand-colored aways. I have to imagine that if the team came to adopt these looks, they'd end up wearing the solid color alternates more often than the actual away jerseys. 
  2. Someone else said this earlier, but I'm not feeling the serifed fonts you've added to several of these. For most, I can see the logic behind them, particularly the Royals, Reds and ChiSox, but I still prefer a more traditional number font.

But seriously, incredible work. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

These are all inspired designs. I rarely say this about concepts on here, but with very few exceptions, I'd be elated if these teams adopted similar looks to what you've presented here.  

I'm a big fan of bringing back the '80s polyester-era aesthetic but in the modern-day button-down style, which you did perfectly here with the Reds and Cubs. And that Astros look is a perfect way to inject some life into that set while keeping it within the boundaries of the team's visual history. 

If I have any quibbles, they're minor ones:

1. While I generally love the consistent use of red/black/turquoise for the D-Backs, I worry there isn't enough contrast between the off-white home and sand-colored aways. I have to imagine that if the team came to adopt these looks, they'd end up wearing the solid color alternates more often than the actual away jerseys. 
  2. Someone else said this earlier, but I'm not feeling the serifed fonts you've added to several of these. For most, I can see the logic behind them, particularly the Royals, Reds and ChiSox, but I still prefer a more traditional number font.

But seriously, incredible work. 

Thank you so much for your feedback, I’m truly glad you like the designs so far! 

I did realize as I was creating the original incarnation of this series that a lot of my designs were inspired by the 80’s. If I had to pinpoint why that is the case, I’d probably say that the 80’s struck a nice balance between the more “out-there” designs of the 70’s and the more traditional baseball aesthetic of the decades before. I tend to appreciate that balance of being unique but not too outlandish.

To address your “quibbles”:

I had the same concern about the Diamondbacks as I was creating their designs. I just really liked how their original home uniforms had that off-white tint, & I really think they could make a sand road uniform work, sort of like how the Padres did in the early 2000’s and do again in the modern day. If I had to change one to increase the contrast though, either the home or the away, I’d probably make the home uniform a pure white. I think Arizona’s City Connect shows that sand could work as a full-time road uniform.

As for the number fonts, that likely comes down to personal preference. I almost always prefer a custom number font over a traditional block, as it helps each team to look more unique and less “standardized,” if that makes sense. I do always try to make sure that the number font I choose fits in seamlessly with the rest of the identity, though.

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Those rounded numbers for the Royals are just excellent. I'd love if they adopted something like that in real life. 

Thanks! I like it because the serifs in the numbers almost perfectly match the iconic “KC” logo.

• Like 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Los Angeles Angels 13/30)

Great update for the Angels! Love the use of the City Connect striping and the change of the halo to gold is so obvious it's crazy the actual team hasn't done it. The only miss for me is the continued use of red lettering on the red alternate. White would look much better in my opinion.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Great update for the Angels! Love the use of the City Connect striping and the change of the halo to gold is so obvious it's crazy the actual team hasn't done it. The only miss for me is the continued use of red lettering on the red alternate. White would look much better in my opinion.

Thanks! The team actually did use a gold halo back in the day:

2264.png

As for the alternate, I used to always try to avoid the red-on-red, but over the years, it's started to look inescapably "Angels," if that makes sense. Here's a look at white letters, though:

mtt0oFV.png

• Like 6

Los Angeles Dodgers

I removed the piping on the road jersey, added a white outline to the "Dodgers" road alternate to make it a throwback, went with a number font that matches the serifs of their "LA" logo, & added a Dodger blue alternate to wear at home or on the road.

MmPBoBO.png

J5TJfi6.png

DpIWsj6.png

TE54PSE.png

• Like 4

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Los Angeles Dodgers 14/30)
16 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks! The team actually did use a gold halo back in the day:

2264.png

As for the alternate, I used to always try to avoid the red-on-red, but over the years, it's started to look inescapably "Angels," if that makes sense. Here's a look at white letters, though:

mtt0oFV.png

what about navy letters?

9 hours ago, BiggityBerfa said:

what about navy letters?

Sure thing, here's a look:

S6gi3T2.png

I took the liberty of making the stripes navy, which would match well with former mangager Joe Maddon's socks:

AP22158117898965-1200x800.jpg

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

What's the name of the font you used for the Dodgers' numbers? I might want to use that in the future. 

It's a super-thickened and slightly-modified version of "Rockwell," which is a font that should be already installed on most computers, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 3

Miami Marlins

The Marlins are a rare team that do not need a road gray in my opinion, and "caliente red" is replaced with a salmon pink, unashamedly taking inspiration from the Heat's popular "Vice" uniforms.

xDWMfwW.png

UBvvJjM.png

R4nnUEx.png

NEaiAaF.png

• Like 10
  • Love 6
  • Applause 2

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Miami Marlins 15/30)
6 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Exactly what the Marlins should do.

I appreciate it!

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great job! The pink is so much more distinctive than "caliente red."

I would like to see the set with front numbers, though. It's a nitpick I have with the current Fish jerseys. They look too barren without them. 

Thanks! Here's a look at the home jersey with a front number:

9i1TH7J.png

Personally, I could take it or leave it.

• Like 5

Milwaukee Brewers

I think the Brewers' 2020 redesign was nearly perfect; I just matched the home sleeve stripes to the away jersey, put the City Connect sleeve stripes on the navy alternate, & put the "ball-in-glove" on the pinstriped jersey.

uBkTGUv.png

cqi1zdd.png

LdECODr.png

mbKg4bi.png

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Milwaukee Brewers 16/30)
3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

First I've heard of it! Detroit's road script might be among my favorites in baseball.

I think I’ve seen people on here disliking the white outline, which you got rid of. I think it works great both with and without. 

I also think I may once have seen someone say they didn’t like that it was two colors, and felt it should be navy blue only. I think the little glow of orange is perfect. 

• Like 1