MLB x NIKE Refresh

MJD7

1 hour ago, JayJaxon said:

The new patch on the SF set is a nice touch

Thanks! I've always felt their primary logo is a bit stale, plus incorporating the Golden Gate Bridge helps tie that into the "Giants" nickname.

• Like 1

Seattle Mariners

The Mariners get what is possibly the most drastic redesign of the series, with a modernized font & sleeve striping both inspired by their earliest uniforms, while bringing their iconic teal to the forefront of the brand.

Su6N1pI.png

G1bbYhS.png

kHPTfBF.png

ALvqErC.png

• Like 16
  • Love 4
  • Yawn 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Seattle Mariners 25/30)
On 6/28/2022 at 1:39 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Oh yea, that's beautiful.

Thanks!

On 6/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, Hawkeye15 said:

Tremendous. Seattle's current designs are mired in a million outlines and too much silver for a team with teal (or something like teal) in its color scheme. Great job.

Agreed. Much like yellow & white, I find that teal & silver are much too similar in value & often end up "clashing," if they're not separated from each other as much as possible. Plus, the minimal amount of teal on the Mariners' main home & away jerseys makes them look like a plain navy & white team, which is much too boring for them.

23 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Could you find time to do the Expos when you're done with active teams? Your concepts are all outstanding! I love the template

Thank you! I hadn't really considered doing the Expos, but I could certainly give them a shot!

• Love 1

St. Louis Cardinals

The "St. Louis" wordmark now adorns the away jersey, and the throwback jerseys are updated to be more period-accurate of the eras they each represent in Cardinals baseball history.

F2ZVUiG.png

soblsD8.png

tbRV3n9.png

LoBaFLr.png

• Like 6

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (St. Louis Cardinals 26/30)
  • MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Tampa Bay Rays 27/30)
  • MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Texas Rangers 28/30)

Toronto Blue Jays

The best uniforms in the American League don't need much improvement, so I just adjusted the powder blue jersey to be more accurate of a throwback to the appropriate era.

eR4KToh.png

qlFZGI4.png

aosrK4K.png

oU2OKO2.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Toronto Blue Jays 29/30)

I like the design for the Tampa Bay Rays, but not sold on that retro script, as it is 1 - a blatant rip-off of the San Diego Padres wordmark from the 70's and it has 2 -a representation of the roof of the Tropicana Dome, I doubt the fans want a reminder of that white elephant on the jerseys.

The Blue Jays set is really good, but have to ask why the road has a black outline around the wordmark, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the set.

22 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

I like the design for the Tampa Bay Rays, but not sold on that retro script, as it is 1 - a blatant rip-off of the San Diego Padres wordmark from the 70's and it has 2 -a representation of the roof of the Tropicana Dome, I doubt the fans want a reminder of that white elephant on the jerseys.

I never thought of the design in the "a" being a representation of the Tropicana Dome, I always thought it was a slice of a lemon or an orange or something like that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of script would you want the Rays to go for? I struggled with that because I honestly feel that they haven't really had a great wordmark in their history, and to me the Turn Back the Clock one was the best of a mediocre bunch.

22 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The Blue Jays set is really good, but have to ask why the road has a black outline around the wordmark, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the set.

The outline on the road jersey is actually navy, and the Blue Jays road jerseys in real life have that outline too, in fact. I've always loved it, it's one of those quirks that just somehow works for me. I've tried removing the navy outline, but to me it suddenly becomes bare & not quite bold enough. I think the navy outline is almost essential to that jersey.

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Washington Nationals 30/30) [City Connect Concepts Coming Soon]

And that's a wrap! Thank you to everyone who followed along & checked these MLB designs out, I hope you enjoyed it! I plan on being back soon with some of my changes to the City Connect designs released so far, and probably some extra throwback jerseys after that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I never thought of the design in the "a" being a representation of the Tropicana Dome, I always thought it was a slice of a lemon or an orange or something like that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of script would you want the Rays to go for? I struggled with that because I honestly feel that they haven't really had a great wordmark in their history, and to me the Turn Back the Clock one was the best of a mediocre bunch.

I agree, the TBtC script is the best of a set of wordmarks that are either badly dated or lackluster and the team could really do with a new set, though the TB cap logo from the same set wasn't bad, even if it did have the same representation of the Trop in the lowercase b.

Personally, I would go for a wordmark that took inspiration from the signage in Ybor City for a wordmark that not only connected to Tampa (and the place they should play a lot closer to), but was distinct and easily recognisable.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A script inspired by either of those signs would be pretty cool.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

I agree, the TBtC script is the best of a set of wordmarks that are either badly dated or lackluster and the team could really do with a new set, though the TB cap logo from the same set wasn't bad, even if it did have the same representation of the Trop in the lowercase b.

Personally, I would go for a wordmark that took inspiration from the signage in Ybor City for a wordmark that not only connected to Tampa (and the place they should play a lot closer to), but was distinct and easily recognisable.

Funny enough, I already had a different take on the Rays, inspired by a design that I did 5 years ago, that has a font similar to what you've suggested:

N7bKb68.png

ckBbrFT.png

2zsMgjJ.png

0Q2aXdz.png

The font comes from the Daytona Tortugas, a Minor League affiliate of the Reds, & I paired their old forest green with their current columbia blue. It's definitely more distinct than most of the fonts the Rays have had in their history. I'd love to hear what you think!

• Like 7

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Refresh (Tampa Bay Rays Alternate Take) [City Connect Concepts Coming Soon]