Lightning Strikes: A few NHL concepts using the '07 Tampa Bay Lightning uniform

B-mer

I don't know how I fell down this rabbit hole, but I ended up looking back at the Lightning's edge uniforms and I have a new found appreciation for them, if not a guilty pleasure for it I suppose (except the socks). Yes, it is a template, but they used it so much better than any other team that had the same base.  It's modern and simple. So, I started having fun with it and seeing what other teams it could work for. There probably won't be many, I don't plan on doing every team, but here we go. 

Starting with the Jets.

spacer.png

This one is perhaps the easiest transition and because of that really works for me.  It helps emphasize the aviator blue on both uniforms without throwing the balance off too much, and it was an easy leap to go from the lightning bolt on the pants the streaming jet. 

• Like 1

This was one of the worst templates of the Reebok era. I'm not sure that recoloring it for more teams makes it a better template. Both the Jets and Avs look better now than in a paint-by-numbers sweater.  

The stripe on the Jets' pants is pretty cool, though I'd probably reverse the direction of the plane so it matches the logo and doesn't look like it's in a nose dive

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

This was one of the worst templates of the Reebok era. I'm not sure that recoloring it for more teams makes it a better template. Both the Jets and Avs look better now than in a paint-by-numbers sweater.  

The stripe on the Jets' pants is pretty cool, though I'd probably reverse the direction of the plane so it matches the logo and doesn't look like it's in a nose dive

I get that. I'm just playing with it. If used in certain ways it isn't as bad I guess. To me it can be a cool, modern design utilizing the underside of the arms in a way no one does. For sure OTT and PIT did it no favors, let alone the fact that 3 teams used the same template in the first place. I wonder if Tampa was the only team to use it if it would have gotten the same level of hate.

I had the same thought this morning on the Jet stripe, so maybe i'll swap it.

• Like 1

Alright, this might be my last entry in this unpopular topic, but it's the last team that jumped out at me for a possible connection with this template. I give you the Washington Capitals in a different terrible edge template:

spacer.png

• Like 2