New look for Marathon

Dilbert

Marathon is rolling out a new look. Its being tested at three sites near its Findlay, Ohio headquarters and a full roll out around August. The logo is slightly different as the wordmark is now in lowercase lettering

spacer.png

Old branding

f45bf323-1ed2-4198-95cf-353f80a61d33-med

Signature intentionally left blank

On 6/15/2022 at 1:31 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Will anyone even notice? It does look better though. 

On 6/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, dont care said:

Who will notice? Seems really pointless and a waste of money.

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Considering this is what Marathon stations have looked like for the last three to four decades:

spacer.png

I think people will notice. Sure, the logo isn't much different, but that new canopy design is drastically different.

I like the updated logo. The new canopy is fine, but wouldn't say it's better. It definitely doesn't feel outdated anymore though, and from my experience, there are quite a few Marathons that are VERY outdated. If they're trying to appear more modern, maybe they'll finally replace the pumps and broken card readers that are from the 90s.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Guess I never really demanded modernity from gas stations. I appreciate the continuity of a Shell station that hasn't been updated since 1996. 

Marathon's a weird one. We have a few around here, but they seem to be an endangered species. Chicago has always been a Mobil and Amoco (BP since '02 but they're easing Amoco back) town. It's like seeing a Superamerica. It feels misplaced.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Marathon is one of those logos that seems to have been around for so long you forget how terrible it actually is. Lowes, Dicks Sporting Goods, Trader Joes, etc fall into this category too. 

Only now looking at the new look it really shows how awkward that "M" was and how bland the branding has been. It's not a drastic change that many will notice, but it's a big improvement.

32 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Marathon is one of those logos that seems to have been around for so long you forget how terrible it actually is. Lowes, Dicks Sporting Goods, Trader Joes, etc fall into this category too. 

Only now looking at the new look it really shows how awkward that "M" was and how bland the branding has been. It's not a drastic change that many will notice, but it's a big improvement.

What’s wrong with Lowe’s and Dick’s logos? Trader Joe’s is wonky but that’s intentional to look like something you’d see on an old trading post.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

What’s wrong with Lowe’s and Dick’s logos? Trader Joe’s is wonky but that’s intentional to look like something you’d see on an old trading post.

There are lots of big brands with bad logos but those were the first few I could think of. Lowe's is weird because it almost seems to use two different fonts. The "S" just seems wonky compared to the rest of the letters. Dicks has the apostrophe balls and the "sporting goods" font seems scrunched underneath. The used to have a lot of unnecessary gradients, but think those have gone away recently. 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:40 PM, the admiral said:

Guess I never really demanded modernity from gas stations. I appreciate the continuity of a Shell station that hasn't been updated since 1996. 

Marathon's a weird one. We have a few around here, but they seem to be an endangered species. Chicago has always been a Mobil and Amoco (BP since '02 but they're easing Amoco back) town. It's like seeing a Superamerica. It feels misplaced.

Marathon started off as the "Ohio Oil Company" so Amoco has always been their midwestern rival since Standard Oil was broken up. Living in Houston, it was always weird to see oil companies have HQ here (like marathon and Amoco/BP) but have zero of their gas station brands around.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, VDizzle12 said:

The one thing they didn't change is the M in the logo . . . which is one thing that has always annoyed me.  I know it's a little anal retentive on my part, but it has always bothered me that the outer downstrokes on the M are at a different angle than the upper sides of the outline (for lack of a better description).  I've always thought they should be parallel to one another (but I'm also the person who is bothered by the fact that the bottom strokes of the F and L in the current NFL logo aren't aligned so as to meet at a point if they were extended).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 6/20/2022 at 3:40 PM, the admiral said:

In New Jersey, these brands popped up in the last decade.

Amoco, 76, Conoco, Phillips 66, Speedway (when they were Marathon owned), even Sinclair. And for North Jersey where I live, a lot more Wawas.

I predict Chevron and Texaco may come back within this decade the way things are going.

There was or is a Sinclair in Wisconsin Dells, I think. Seeing the big dinosaur is always a nice treat. Cute vestige of the old roadside-attraction America. 

I don't think I see Unocal 76s around here as much as I used to. Are they gone completely?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

There was or is a Sinclair in Wisconsin Dells, I think. Seeing the big dinosaur is always a nice treat. Cute vestige of the old roadside-attraction America. 

I don't think I see Unocal 76s around here as much as I used to. Are they gone completely?

Exists in both coasts and Texas now.

spacer.png

On 6/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, the admiral said:

They've in fact returned to prominence on the Dodger Stadium scoreboards.

AP22096139291523-e1650313439762.jpg?w=68

VmWIn6B.png