Cleveland Cavaliers Reveal New Uniforms for 2022-23

Indigo

@LA Fakers+ LA SnippersI think saying they look like practice uniforms is being kind. These look like the ones you pickup on vacation in Mexico or Myrtle Beach because it's $45 for all three shirts. I'd have hoped there would be some type of striping on the arms and neck. 

Cavs Jersey Association

Cavs Jersey IconCavs Jersey Statement 2

It looks like they took the uniform they designed in Microsoft Paint and got rid of the paint splotches.  Even those had some trim on the arms and neck. Also, that new sponsor looks horrible and I have no idea what they even are. 

Cleveland Cavaliers 1994-1996 Record: 90-74 (55%) | NBA Jersey Database

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If you look closely, there is trim on all 3 jerseys, they just are the same color as the base. It won't show up on TV, but it's something.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

They took this identity and stripped it of everything that made it good:

b6c78dff529df3fb166e7cf49466557a31b79150tumblr_puu41vZTj71wulfg9o1_1280.png

• Like 9

Like the Jazz they've chosen non-design. I don't like this trend at all. 

The good and bad news is because this is the NBA they'll have six throwbacks, 11 alternates that don't use a single team color, and they'll change again in 2024 so it's barely worth discussing. 

• Like 17
  • LOL 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

@LA Fakers+ LA SnippersI think saying they look like practice uniforms is being kind. These look like the ones you pickup on vacation in Mexico or Myrtle Beach because it's $45 for all three shirts. I'd have hoped there would be some type of striping on the arms and neck. 

Cavs Jersey Association

Cavs Jersey IconCavs Jersey Statement 2

It looks like they took the uniform they designed in Microsoft Paint and got rid of the paint splotches.  Even those had some trim on the arms and neck. Also, that new sponsor looks horrible and I have no idea what they even are. 

Cleveland Cavaliers 1994-1996 Record: 90-74 (55%) | NBA Jersey Database

Had to look up the sponsor..

Cleveland Cliffs is a Cleveland based steel company.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sport said:

Like the Jazz they've chosen non-design. I don't like this trend at all. 

The good and bad news is because this is the NBA they'll have six throwbacks, 11 alternates that don't use a single team color, and they'll change again in 2024 so it's barely worth discussing. 

Remember when NBA teams used to actually have identities?

5,348 Reflective Thinking Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, McCall said:

Remember when NBA teams used to actually have identities?

5,348 Reflective Thinking Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

Maybe the reason people gravitate to 90's throwbacks so hard is because that was an era when teams took risks and then committed to the risks for years so the designs had time to actually cement themselves in our memories. Is any kid going to have warm feelings about this set of stripeless Cavs uniforms ten years from now? Especially when they've already moved on to 3 more uni sets by then. I don't feel like they will. 

• Like 15

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 minutes ago, Sport said:

Maybe the reason people gravitate to 90's throwbacks so hard is because that was an era when teams took risks and then committed to the risks for years so the designs had time to actually cement themselves in our memories. Is any kid going to have warm feelings about this set of stripeless Cavs uniforms ten years from now? Especially when they've already moved on to 3 more uni sets by then. I don't feel like they will. 

Exactly. When the Pistons went teal, it meant something. They were fully committed to being a real franchise with a weird horse logo.

Now, people can shift new primary logos to alt logos if no one likes them, and the classic uniforms stick around anyway.

There's no stake in all of it; it's just our Concepts Forum brought to life. Which is cool in a way, but also very much not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Exactly. When the Pistons went teal, it meant something. They were fully committed to being a real franchise with a weird horse logo.

Now, people can shift new primary logos to alt logos if no one likes them, and the classic uniforms stick around anyway.

There's no stake in all of it; it's just our Concepts Forum brought to life. Which is cool in a way, but also very much not.

Nah, Pistons in blue, red and white, actually means something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eszcz21 said:

Nah, Pistons in blue, red and white, actually means something.

Not the point I was making.

I said Detroit actually committed to change when they went teal. I didn't say it was a good change. But when they made that change, there no outs for them the way there are now.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I disagree with the “they’re practice jerseys” sentiment. There’s a lot of detail, but the problem is that it’s probably too subtle to appreciate unless the uniforms are right in front of you. 

Adding a simple trim around the collar/shoulders or down the sides would have helped, and if they wanted to have a line through the numbers like the 90s, using a contrasting color would have been better, but otherwise, these are a big improvement from what they’ve worn the past 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yes the stakes are gone. Same reason I can't be moved to care about college football uniforms. They'll wear them once and change again next week. When the Pistons and Islanders dumped their dynasty looks for 90's teal it was a big deal because they went in with both feet, there was no guarantee they'd ever go back. If that happened today they would just be an alternate uniform and it wouldn't matter nearly as much.

I had sportscenter on last season, half paying attention while I looked at my phone, looked up at whatever NBA game was on and I literally didn't know what two teams I was watching. If they sell more jerseys as a result of the constant changing then I guess the math works for them and they don't care about damaging their brands' strength, but I don't have to like it as a fan of sports aesthetics. 

• Like 8

PvO6ZWJ.png