Cleveland Cavaliers Reveal New Uniforms for 2022-23

Indigo

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The way the gold looks is pretty good. I think they were counting on the shiny wordmarks and numbers to be the focus  of the design so they went minimal. Overall the uniforms have character which is something the Utah Jazz don't have.

You can see what I mean in this pic of Kid Cudi.

FX9GR4hX0AIX-I8?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, they definitely rank higher than the Jazz. For one, they didn't radically alter their colors, and two, the design elements they used (i.e. wordmark, numbers) is better executed than Utah.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The way the gold looks is pretty good. I think they were counting on the shiny wordmarks and numbers to be the focus  of the design so they went minimal. Overall the uniforms have character which is something the Utah Jazz don't have.

What am I supposed to be seeing? I see kid Cudi in a practice jersey. Screen printed numbers and all

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The shiny aspect of the letters looks pretty good in that photo, and isn't the worst idea as far as NBA jerseys go. It's a completely fine detail to include, but it doesn't make up for the missing trim. Contrasting trim (or even stripes) would benefit the set, leaving the statement jersey as the set's main issue

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

My theory is that these, along with the Wolves, Clippers, Nuggets, Pacers and Suns' jerseys in 2017, were impossible for Nike to create on their new template, so they just made new designs (which is how we got the last Cavs set with bevels and stuff). 

Then Cleveland goes and gets an artist who specializes in minimalistic art, and has him design a basketball uniform, which are known for having at least some design elements.

This is how we got here. And I fear for the future.

All they had to do is get rid of the adidas three stripes that they hid in the design. but since they knew they were there Nike would have wanted to do more than just delete a stripe. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I see kid Cudi in a practice jersey.

I'll have to agree with this.

P.S. Contrary to the common sentiment, I like the black set the most out of the three. There's nothing wrong with the C logo and it is beautiful with the gold, and makes that uni only more interesting of the bunch using all three colors, since they're all so overly simple. Somewhat like the Hawks' black set. The number is placed visually properly in regards to the logo, and if anything, black is the better and more fitting choice than navy to pair with the two main colors, and complements them well.

Edited by truepg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I understand what thye were going for, and the gold by itself looks strong, but that doesn't make up for lack of trim. Even a small, thin trim like the Kobe-era Lakers jerseys could've done more. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

And Cleveland just happened to release their set when the league switched uniform providers? 5 other teams changed as well, and they didn't have the same situation as the Cavs. I don't know whether the team wanted to switch because of a new template, or the template forced them to, but the change defintely involved the Nike switch. 

I'm sure it was viewed as a good opportunity. A lot of teams do that when a new manufacturer or template comes in (e.g. Reebok Edge in the NHL) even though they can easily carry over their existing design.

What I find dubious is the idea that the Nike template necessitated the changeover. (Perhaps I'm misreading the opinion? I've done that before.)

The Cavs could have easily carried over their 2011-2016 design over to the Nike template but chose not to. There's nothing in the current template that would have prevented them from using that exact design, which leads me to suspect they made the change because of independent reasons.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm sure it was viewed as a good opportunity. A lot of teams do that when a new manufacturer or template comes in (e.g. Reebok Edge in the NHL) even though they can easily carry over their existing design.

What I find dubious is the idea that the Nike template necessitated the changeover. (Perhaps I'm misreading the opinion? I've done that before.)

The Cavs could have easily carried over their 2011-2016 design over to the Nike template but chose not to. There's nothing in the current template that would have prevented them from using that exact design, which leads me to suspect they made the change because of independent reasons.

No, I get what you're saying. They probably did view it as an opportunity to change uniforms (and we know how much Cleveland loves that).

Not a home run... but an upgrade from the previous set.  I would have liked to see some form of the sword slash from the 90s make it's way to the uniforms, maybe on the shorts.  They are at least trying to unify the set by dropping the navy and sticking with 3 colors.

The font is terrible but at least it's consistent across the jerseys. The V-net was a missed opportunity on the CLEVELAND jersey.  I would have liked to see the wine in-stroke on the black uniform font.  Maybe black in-stroke on the wine uniform font.

Other than that, I dont HATE them.  This is the current trend right now, so it kinda is what it is... It could be a hell of a lot worse.  I think an under designed uniform is way better than over designed uniform.

• Like 1