Who do you think should host the 2024 MLB All-Star Game, still unannounced as of posttime?

johnnysama

1 minute ago, johnnysama said:

Me, I pick Toronto. It's crazy they've only had it once, and with the Rogers Centre renovations, they're long past due.

What say you? Let's hear ya.

It can't be Toronto without assurances that their vax requirement won't be in place, and while 2024 is two years away, given the still-fluid nature of this thing, it would be tough to take that risk - at least not without having a plan B ready to go.  Colorado worked out pretty well last year, but a situation like that is far from ideal.

Other than people wanting their hometown in the spotlight, I honestly don't know why anyone cares where the game is.  I get why some people look forward to the game and get into it (though I stopped caring about it 20 years ago) but I don't know why the venue matters.

When I was a kid - back before I had cable and when the only time I ever saw AL players and AL stadiums was in baseball cards or the World Series - I always looked forward to the ASG to get to see the uniforms and the different parks.  But now, when you can see any player at any time in any stadium - I just don't know if any part of AS Week matters.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wouldn’t surprise me if it winds up being Atlanta. Seems like Manfred is trying to put as much distance between any outside influences that could impact such a decision as he can and MLB itself. 

Should, though? Maybe Nashville? Maybe the All-Star Game should be in prospective markets rather than current ones? 

Edited by Red Comet

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Taking out teams with rubbish ballparks, Toronto because of Canada's COVID restrictions, and Philadelphia since they will host it in 2026, the teams that last hosted an ASG in the 20th century:

Chicago Cubs, 1990

Baltimore Orioles, 1993

Texas Rangers, 1995

Boston Red Sox, 1999

Atlanta Braves, 2000

Boston with blue and yellow uniforms! 😆

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

logically, probably Texas considering they haven't hosted one in almost 30 years on top of having the newest ballpark in the league. I really like the prospective markets idea, though; a game in Charlotte, Nashville, Vegas, or Montreal would be sweet. you'd probably only be able to go as far down as AAA ballparks, though; I don't think they could get away with having the ASG in "Portland" at the Hillsboro Hops' place.

53Ocz8U.png

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Should, though? Maybe Nashville? Maybe the All-Star Game should be in prospective markets rather than current ones? 

But where? There’s no MLB-caliber stadiums in any non-MLB market. Hell - there’s not MLB-caliber stadiums in all actual MLB markets!

It’s not a bad idea in principle but it can only work for basketball and hockey. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Considering the trend is smaller and smaller ballparks? I could see them using the Sounds ballpark and charging up the wazoo for All-Star Game tickets with the atmosphere of Nashville being Vegas with a twang as the selling point. 

These games don’t mean a damn thing so why not play into everything else about the All-Star Game?

5 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Considering the trend is smaller and smaller ballparks? I could see them using the Sounds ballpark and charging up the wazoo for All-Star Game tickets with the atmosphere of Nashville being Vegas with a twang as the selling point. 

These games don’t mean a damn thing so why not play into everything else about the All-Star Game?

I don’t think they players would be ok with minor-league facilities that lack the amenities on the clubhouse, locker rooms, underground cages, on-site medical care (do minor league parks have X-rays on site?) etc. 

The fan experience is only part of it. 

My best guess would be Atlanta. If not them, I could see Texas, with their new stadium. Although, they did get to host an NLDS series, the NLCS and World Series in 2020, the latter two with some fans, unlike every other game that season. They may get pushed down the list a little bit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It says First Horizon Park maxes out at 10,000 with the berm. I don't know the layout of the stadium, but I would assume no more than 2,000 additional could be fitted in there, if that. Every recent all-star game has maxed out or exceeded listed capacity. There is no way they are going to play the all-star game in a stadium that small. A regular season game works in special, yet smaller, settings because it's a regular game, not one featuring the best players from all of baseball. TV viewership may be going down (not sure), but physical attendance has not and won't, as even if only 40,000 people are ever interested in it, those 40,000 people would happily show up at the game if given the opportunity (although they'd probably cancel it at that point, but you get what I'm saying).

16 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Taking out teams with rubbish ballparks, Toronto because of Canada's COVID restrictions, and Philadelphia since they will host it in 2026, the teams that last hosted an ASG in the 20th century:

Chicago Cubs, 1990

Baltimore Orioles, 1993

Texas Rangers, 1995

Boston Red Sox, 1999

Atlanta Braves, 2000

Going by this list, I'd say the northside of Chicago should host in 2024 based on time passed since their last hosting (1990).  Wrigley has had their renovations complete for a few years now so its coming up in the next few years i would think.  I believe Baltimore is getting some state funding for renovations soon, so they might be in the next few years too once completed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don’t think they players would be ok with minor-league facilities that lack the amenities on the clubhouse, locker rooms, underground cages, on-site medical care (do minor league parks have X-rays on site?) etc. 

The fan experience is only part of it. 

It'd be a step up facilities wise for anyone playing for the Oakland A's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tp49 said:

It'd be a step up facilities wise for anyone playing for the Oakland A's.

It's pretty bad that they were going to send their All star rep commercial until the Astros took him on their charter.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Atlanta or Texas seem like the obvious ones given new ballparks, but may force Manfred to admit that MLB's "getting political" era only happened because they wrongly thought the new culture wars would blow over quickly. Chicago/Wrigley seems due as well with the renovation project complete (?). Weird that the last Fenway ASG was actually before the Henry ownership and pre-renovations, when the park was still a decaying dump.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers