Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (Stocking Series - Red Sox vs. White Sox 8/15)

coco1997

Hi everyone,

Recently I've had the itch to go back and "remaster" a few of my earliest hand-drawn uniform designs, some of which were a humble attempt to continue the fantastic MLB Rivalry face-offs by @Discrim from a few years ago. In true Discrim fashion, some teams will have seemingly disparate home and road uniforms, usually tied together by matching logos and number styles. This was a fun exercise to get inside the unique, twisted mind :wink2: of Discrim, and I hope I did him justice.

First up are the Mariners vs. Padres, AKA the Vedder Cup. What is the Vedder Cup exactly? Well, you can read about it here. Whether or not this one qualifies as a true "rivalry" depends on who you ask. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how these designs turned out. 

MARINERS:

spacer.png

The Mariners' home set is inspired by the Seattle Steelheads Negro Leagues team, while the away set combines Seattle's powder blue roads from the '70s and '80s with the M's Turn Ahead the Clock unis.

PADRES:

spacer.png

My original hand-drawn Vedder Cup designs from 2016 had the Padres in navy pins at home. Now that the Padres have since gone back to pins in real life, I took a different approach for my update, combining various elements of San Diego's PCL uniforms while keeping that 2016 navy and gold color scheme. For the road, remember that Ray Kroc, who founded McDonald's, owned the Friars from 1974 until his death in 1984. In the late '70s, McDonald's employee uniforms were brown (well, really more of a reddish color, but stay with me on this) and gold. Therefore, we get a Padres x late 1970s McDonald's uniform. (I suppose that would make the Swinging Friar a Swinging Fryer :wink2:). 

C&C appreciated! Here's a peek at the other rivalry sets I have planned:

Battle of the Border: Cubs vs. Brewers
Leyland Cup: Tigers vs. Pirates
Stocking Series: White Sox vs. Red Sox

Gillick Showdown: Blue Jays vs. Phillies

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 7/21/2022 at 6:17 AM, Coiler said:

Nice. Can't wait for the Phillies one-they've always had weird uniforms.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, Victormrey said:

Great start! The updated set for the Mariners looks wonderful, and the idea for the Padres road uni is one of the most unique I've seen in a while.

Looking forward the rest of the series!

Thanks, guys! And yeah, the Padres road set is a bit "out there" but it does feel like something Discrim could have come up with. 

Up next is the I-94 Series!

BREWERS:
spacer.png

I decided to go full Oktoberfest for the Brew Crew's home look with a faux lederhosen design. I didn't originally plan to use shorts but then I figured if powder blue road unis can make a comeback, why not shorts? The cap design was my attempt to apply the Seattle Pilots sleeve stripes to a hat. The road set puts Milwaukee back in (full) powder blue and uses the Todd Radom-designed scripts and numbers the Crew were rocking back in 1998--the year they joined the NL and the Cubs/Brewers rivalry ostensibly began. 

CUBS:

spacer.png

I've always liked the idea of a solid white version of the Cubs' 1980s away set (when they oddly wore white pants for away games) so that's what I did here, with the cap logo/sleeve patch being a modified version of their 1962-71 alternate logo. The road set is meant to give off Bears vibes, from the darker shade of blue and striping pattern down to the wishbone "C" cap logo. Keep in mind this one started as a hand drawn design years before Nike rolled out the City Connect program, so I wasn't deliberately trying to ape the Wrigleyville design

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 5

• coco1997 changed the title to Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (I-94 Series - Brewers vs. Cubs 7/23)

Shorts! You absolute madman!

For the Cubs road uniform, the wishbone C unfortunately makes it look too much like the contemporary Reds, IMO. It'd look better if you just plucked the C from the CHICAGO front script and used that for the cap logo.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, Coiler said:

For the Cubs road uniform, the wishbone C unfortunately makes it look too much like the contemporary Reds, IMO. It'd look better if you just plucked the C from the CHICAGO front script and used that for the cap logo.

Fair point. However, keep in mind that the Cubs actually did use a wishbone C starting in 1916 and intermittently into the 1930s. Nevertheless, here's how your idea would look:

spacer.png

Next teams up are the White Sox and Dodgers. There's a bit of history between these teams, as they faced each other in the 1959 World Series and share a Spring Training facility in Glendale, Arizona.

WHITE SOX:

spacer.png

Big emphasis on the South Siders' 1951-63 look here, with a few City Connect elements thrown in on the road set for good measure. For the home, I swapped the cap and jersey logos from their '59 home set to mix things up a bit. I also opted for a sleeveless design, since it seems to be quite popular amongst Sox fans (though not with me, if I'm being honest) and certain players from that '59 team tried to cultivate that look on their own.  

DODGERS:
spacer.png

I tried to come up with a different take on the Bums' classic home whites, going off-white with some fancier trim and "Los Angeles" replacing the "Dodgers" script on the jersey. In addition to facing the Sox in the '59 series, the Dodgers also hosted the (second) All-Star Game in Los Angeles that year, so the road set is basically their 1959 ASG logo extrapolated into a full uniform, complete with Clarendon style numbers. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (Camelback Classic - White Sox vs. Dodgers 7/28)
On 8/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, Victormrey said:

Great work for both Chicago teams and the Dodgers!

The sleeveless jersey for the White Sox is such an interesting look, and I love how the "Los Angeles" wordmark look on a home jersey, specually with the matching number font 👌🏻

Thank you!

I'd still like some more feedback on the White Sox vs. Dodgers, but I think I'm ready to post the next set. For obvious reasons I'm calling this one the Leyland Cup, named after the man, the legend himself, who managed a combined 24 seasons between Detroit and Pittsburgh.

TIGERS:

spacer.png

The Tigers home set is basically the love child of the team’s 1984 road uniforms and the Detroit Stars of the Negro League. I always loved how the Stars' script cut across the solid-colored placket with the white “R” contrasting with the rest of the script. The road set is inspired by the city's NHL team, specifically their 1929-30 look. As you can see, I also wanted to dial up the orange across the board. Wasn't too sure about sleeve patch designs for either set, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. 

PIRATES:
spacer.png

The Bucs' home set is based on the Pirates' threads from 1909 (but in modern colors), the year they topped Detroit in the World Series. And as with the Tigers, I leaned into the NHL rivalry for the road set, opting for a Penguins-inspired look complete with diagonal "Pirates" script and white/black/gold striping for the sleeves, socks, collar and sansabelt. The diamond pattern on the sleeves and pants comes from Pittsburgh's 1979 dugout jackets which is an idea I've always wanted to incorporate into a Pirates concept. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 4

• coco1997 changed the title to Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (Leyland Cup - Tigers vs. Pirates 8/3)
On 8/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, johne9109 said:

I'm all for bringing in looks that unify hands that play in the same city.  The diagonal look works pretty well for the pirates

On 8/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, Coiler said:

Both look great. The Stars tribute uniform does look kind of Astros-ish, but given the similar names...

On 8/6/2022 at 6:24 AM, JerseyJimmy said:

those Stars tributes are gorgeous. best uniforms in the Negro Leagues by a mile.

Thanks, everyone!

Up today is the Gillick Cup--Blue Jays vs. Phillies!

BLUE JAYS:

spacer.png

The Jays get a sleeveless, pinstriped home set based on the Maple Leafs of the International League who were a farm system for Philly back in the '50s. For the road, I went with a black and gold motif inspired by Drake's OVO brand (For a team vying for a playoff spot, "October's Very Own" seems like a good slogan).

PHILLIES:
spacer.png

The Phils get a patriotic off-white home set based on the Sixers' Earned Edition unis. The very Blue Jays-esque road look riffs on the fact that Philly briefly used a blue jay logo and actually called themselves (?) the Blue Jays back in the mid '40s. The Jays' trademark split style gets applied to the Phils' current numbers and 1900 road wordmark. Like those Toronto pullovers of the '70 & '80s, the logo gets placed front and center on the jersey, although in this case it's the Liberty Bell. Wasn't sure about sock patterns for either set so suggestions are welcome. 

C&C appreciated! The Stocking Series is next. 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (Gillick Showdown - Blue Jays vs. Phillies 8/9)
On 8/9/2022 at 6:16 PM, Coiler said:

All good. Love the pale blue on the Phillies road in particular.

Thanks! 

Wrapping things up today with the Stocking Series--Boston vs. Chicago:

RED SOX:

spacer.png

Boston's home set incorporates elements from the Celtics, including shamrocks, block "BOSTON" lettering and just a touch of green. I felt a white front paneled cap fit the general '70s/80s aesthetic of the design. The road set is sleeveless, and I applied a melange pattern to give it an old school, vintage look. 

WHITE SOX:

spacer.png

The other Sox get a bit of a combination of eras treatment. I brought back the 1936-38 monogram for the home jersey and the 1926 crossed socks logo for the home cap & road sleeve patch with T-bars on the home set a la the early 1940s clubs and the 1976 "Chicago" script for the road uni. The buttons on the home jersey are multicolored pinwheels as a nod to Old Comiskey Park

Thanks for following! I may end up adding more teams to this series if I think of more rivalries that are worth tackling. Suggestions are welcome!

• Like 5

• coco1997 changed the title to Finishing What Discrim Started: MLB Rivalry Series Revived (Stocking Series - Red Sox vs. White Sox 8/15)
  • 3 months later...