AT&T SportsNet Graphics Concept

rsaline

The 2022 MLB All-Star break has come and gone, making the AT&T SportsNet graphics package the oldest in the MLB (introduced to start the second half in 2017). I am of the opinion that the overlays used in this package were dated as soon as they hit the screen. They use glossy bevel effects and dark colors that have poor contrast and obscure logos, which are the only identifiers of which teams are playing.

XlYqa_H00GTM19Fc.jpg

I spent some time putting together a concept of what I think ATTSN should be using in their next update. Here are some of the primary rules I tried to follow while making the score bug:

• Primary score bug is in the top left of the screen - this location has become the most common in the latest round of updates for other networks, so this follows viewers expectations
  • Teams and scores are in colors, other network and game info is on a white base - provides contrast between primary and secondary information for a game
  • Player information is also in team colors, but at a higher transparency
  • No bevels or rounded corners - detail gets lost even on a 55" TV, plus streaming on phones is more common now than ever
  • Secondary overlays should simplify information that is provided - even if lots of stats are put on the screen, the overlay should be simple enough that it can be read/scanned in ~5 seconds

That said, here's my concept for the primary score bug:

77T6pPi.png

CQxScNr.png

One thing I would like to see from more networks is instantaneous information on ball-in-play stats. So much is available like exit velocity/launch angle, expected batting average, projected distance, etc. that I think would be good for viewers.

Here's an example of a lower-third overlay with advanced stats. Yahoo! had a cool article asking players what stats they would put on tv for fans to view: https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-all-star-game-2022-numbers-made-them-all-stars-what-stats-do-baseballs-best-prefer-to-look-at-192454565.html, which led me to showing stuff like BACON and wRC+ over Batting Average and RBIs.

5gsGl7q.png

I have a couple other ideas for more generic overlay designs that I will post soon, but let me know if you have any feedback!

ATTSN also covers lots of other sports in different markets, so I may try to mock up some other score bugs.

• Like 9
  • Dislike 1

This is really solid! Your update is much cleaner and gives the package a much needed modernization. I really like this.

My only critique would be that the AT&T logo being in a white box to the left is a little distracting, it tends to draw my attention a little too much. I wonder if a solution could be to remove the white box (leaving a transparent background), or if you changed the box to black? 

That’s really the only thing I’d change though. Everything else is very solid and would be a huge improvement over what ATTSN does now. Great work!

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 7/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, Vgkenjoyer said:

Massive improvement! If you end up doing hockey, I’d love to see a mock-up using the Golden Knights.

I have a good start on hockey, but VGK didn't have very many good screenshots for me to use as a reference. I'll see what I can do though!

On 7/23/2022 at 5:57 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

This is really solid! Your update is much cleaner and gives the package a much needed modernization. I really like this.

My only critique would be that the AT&T logo being in a white box to the left is a little distracting, it tends to draw my attention a little too much. I wonder if a solution could be to remove the white box (leaving a transparent background), or if you changed the box to black? 

That’s really the only thing I’d change though. Everything else is very solid and would be a huge improvement over what ATTSN does now. Great work!

I did try a version that would be  a "dark mode" but I didn't like it quite as much.

5RjMtDm.png

As promised here's a couple more concepts for overlays. First, a home run graphic that would replace the score bug and also have a drop down for Statcast. I imagine this one would benefit from some animation, but that's not my wheelhouse.

C1gdNyw.png

For inning transitions, I think larger overlays for the home team batters due up would be beneficial to keep a viewer engaged through a commercial break.

9iGsWe8.png

My idea for the left-third overlay is to provide a lot of space for flexibility. The team-colored player highlight could be closed to leave most of the space white.

dCxICz4.png

Similarly, the full-screen overlay could have a lot of flexibility for game notes or a game summary.

TGwTwog.png

• Like 1