Soldier Field renovation mockup

TrueYankee26

This is what Soldier Field in Chicago could look like in the future.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/lightfoot-unveils-proposal-for-soldier-field-dome-2-other-renovation-options-as-bears-consider-move-to-suburbs/

Edit: D'oh I did not mean to put it in Sports logo news.

Edited by TrueYankee26

Only 70,000? Chicago is a pretty big town, I would think that they would want to fit 80k or more if/when the Bears are back to their winning ways. Seems a bit low.

The halo board in the mockup says "Chicago Dome". Jury's out on whether that's a cooler name than Soldier Field. Nothing beats HPOGEHSNL Healthcare Insurance something something field, though.

If there's going to be a dome, is Chicago back in contention for the Super Bowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania, etc? Maybe they take some events from Indianapolis as well, maybe the Combine or the Big Ten big game. I'd have to think this is part of the big plan, although again, 70k is smaller than it seems for these multimillion dollar events.

56 minutes ago, harney said:

Only 70,000? Chicago is a pretty big town, I would think that they would want to fit 80k or more if/when the Bears are back to their winning ways. Seems a bit low.

The halo board in the mockup says "Chicago Dome". Jury's out on whether that's a cooler name than Soldier Field. Nothing beats HPOGEHSNL Healthcare Insurance something something field, though.

If there's going to be a dome, is Chicago back in contention for the Super Bowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania, etc? Maybe they take some events from Indianapolis as well, maybe the Combine or the Big Ten big game. I'd have to think this is part of the big plan, although again, 70k is smaller than it seems for these multimillion dollar events.

No that's pretty normal capacity for an NFL stadium. 🤨

Mercedes-Benz Stadium capacity is listed at 71k, expandable to 75k. US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis is listed under 67k, expandable to 73k.

19 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

70,000 capacity is reasonable.  Sofi Stadium's capacity is around 70,000 as well. Many of the NFL stadiums have a capacity between 60-70 k.

Just now, McCall said:

No that's pretty normal capacity for an NFL stadium. 🤨

Mercedes-Benz Stadium capacity is listed at 71k, expandable to 75k. US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis is listed under 67k, expandable to 73k.

Wow, didn't realize! Just always seems like it's 100 thousand at the Jerrahdome on Monday night against the Jags.

Keep in mind, all this is Mayor Lightfoot's proposal to keep the Bears in Chi city, but the Bears still sound all but committed to Arlington Heights.

Perhaps we could see some sort of wackadoo deal reached where the Bears get their Arlington Heights stadium and Chicago gets an expansion or relocated AFC team for the renovated dome...ludicrous as it sounds now, I've learned never to rule out anything with Chi city leadership...

bYhYmxh.png

I mean if the Bears bolt for Arlington like they want to, it can still open up renovation possibilities for the Fire. I mean the Fire dont need 70,000. They cant even draw 20,000 but still renovate Soldier Field to a more intimate soccer experience could still work.

Signature intentionally left blank

After further review, it appears Mayor Lightfoot did hint that she might try to lure another NFL team to the city if the Bears left...trouble is, I don't know which NFL team would be looking to relocate at this time (unless we get the Chicago Chargers?), and 32 is a nice, perfectly even number of teams for a league (which is why I hope the MLB and NBA catch up soon).

Of course, I could imagine this scenario playing out:

"See what Tampa Bay wants for the Rays."

"Uh, that's a baseball team, ma'am."

"They'll play what I tell 'em to play...for I AM THE MAYOR OF CHICAGO!"

• LOL 1

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

After further review, it appears Mayor Lightfoot did hint that she might try to lure another NFL team to the city if the Bears left...trouble is, I don't know which NFL team would be looking to relocate at this time (unless we get the Chicago Chargers?), and 32 is a nice, perfectly even number of teams for a league (which is why I hope the MLB and NBA catch up soon).

Of course, I could imagine this scenario playing out:

"See what Tampa Bay wants for the Rays."

"Uh, that's a baseball team, ma'am."

"They'll play what I tell 'em to play...for I AM THE MAYOR OF CHICAGO!"

Titans or Panthers if they can't get new stadiums. 

2 minutes ago, EskimoAldus said:

Titans or Panthers if they can't get new stadiums. 

If the Titans are involved, my ideal scenario would be a "franchise swap."

Have the Titans reclaim the Houston Oilers name and play at NRG Stadium, then have the Texans move elsewhere.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

10 hours ago, raysox said:

and here is the backup plan

Looks too big considering the Fire's long history of underwhelming attendance, but this does seem like the most likely outcome and would open up design possibilites to at least partially undo the architectural monstrosity they built in the 2000s. Fire downtown and Bears in the burbs, how the turn tables!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Looks too big considering the Fire's long history of underwhelming attendance, but this does seem like the most likely outcome and would open up design possibilites to at least partially undo the architectural monstrosity they built in the 2000s. Fire downtown and Bears in the burbs, how the turn tables!

Maybe they signed Lewandowski? LOL!!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png