Adidas, NHL to split after 23-24 season

BJ Sands

I get that manufacturing/warehouse/shipping-costs aren't cheap nor easy, but I always find it weird the famous leagues invest so much into their brands/identities and then don't go and do it on their own to keep all the profits from merchandise sales and have full control vs a percentage and/or an upfront fee by the supplier.

15 minutes ago, element7ero said:

I get that manufacturing/warehouse/shipping-costs aren't cheap nor easy, but I always find it weird the famous leagues invest so much into their brands/identities and then don't go and do it on their own to keep all the profits from merchandise sales and have full control vs a percentage and/or an upfront fee by the supplier.

It’s because the leagues do revenue sharing. Anything sold outside of the arena goes into that pool and is distributed to the other teams. It’s simply not a net positive to do that. Also these deals are signed by the league and are a league exclusive. Teams can’t go out and make their own deals or they go against the leagues bylaws.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

I only ask because it sounds like the most OITGDNHL thing possible, but was Fruit of the Loom actually at one point a uni supplier for the NHL? 

Considering how small the garment industry is, I would be shocked if Fruit of the Loom wasn’t at one point in their history a part of the pro sports jersey business in at least an indirect way.

I know for sure they had a deal to make Wilson apparel during the 90s, but I think that was strictly for casual athletic wear.

jNTsTyQ.png

2 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I only ask because it sounds like the most OITGDNHL thing possible, but was Fruit of the Loom actually at one point a uni supplier for the NHL? 

Pro Player, who supplied NHL teams jerseys for the 1999/2000 season, was then owned by FOTL. 

• Like 2
  • WOAH 2

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

42 minutes ago, charger77 said:

I hope whoever gets the contract can fix the mess that Adidas made of lace up collars. 

Those lace up collars were truly wretched. They looked too low down on the jerseys and usually looked like afterthoughts somehow.

20 hours ago, Point1 said:

most of adidas' crummy work in the NHL was alternate jerseys that hardly anyone remembers while they dutifully tidied up plenty of reebok's messes  on actual primary uniforms.

the worry with Nike is that they would bring the worst of Adidas in a huge way (with ugly city/icon/whatever jerseys and primary jersey redesigns) with none or few of the positives.

Most of Reebok's messes were already cleaned up before Adidas took over. The ones that weren't - Arizona, Calgary, and Ottawa come to mind - still kept their Edge looks well into the Adidas era before eventually switching to throwbacks full-time (so nothing that required any effort on Adidas' part, since those uniforms were already designed decades ago).

Adidas then went on to make their own messes and also downgrade uniforms that were already perfectly fine, like how they oversimplified Nashville's stripes for no reason, removed the Devils' hem stripes, and swapped out the Canes' logo for their wannabe-Rangers wordmark on the road.

IMO, the one mess that Adidas deserves credit for cleaning up is Colorado, and even then, they pretty much just went back to their old uniforms, so again, it's not like Adidas really had to do much.

On the other hand, I do have to give props to Adidas for somehow making shiny gold sweaters work for Vegas (which makes it even more baffling how badly they screwed up with Georgia Tech). My biggest worry is that the next manufacturer will either ditch those entirely or butcher them. 

• Yawn 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

20 hours ago, Point1 said:

most of adidas' crummy work in the NHL was alternate jerseys that hardly anyone remembers while they dutifully tidied up plenty of reebok's messes  on actual primary uniforms.

the worry with Nike is that they would bring the worst of Adidas in a huge way (with ugly city/icon/whatever jerseys and primary jersey redesigns) with none or few of the positives.

Nike has worked with the NFL since 2012 and we're yet to see any "city" unforms or crazy alternates. The most extreme thing that's happened was the addition of Color Rush uniforms. Which, to me is basically just the football equivalent of Reverse Retros.

I think there's this huge misconception here that Nike always has unrestricted creative control over entire leagues. If the Leafs want black jerseys or if the Devils want a Jersey jersey, the manufacturer will give them what they want. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

The manufacturer can definitely come out with some stupid designs (see the Adidas sleeved NBA jerseys, some of the Nike Color Rush uniforms) but ultimately it's the team's call. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't have seen New Jersey use their standard throwback uniform for the 2014 Stadium Series when everyone else was using those dumb chrome uniforms.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Nike’s work comes in cycles and they are definitely in a down cycle now: minimalist, cheap looking design and crap templates in basketball and football. Meanwhile baseball is just a whole other can of worms right now.

But maybe they’ll be on the upswing by 2024. We can hope, right?

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 7/31/2022 at 7:34 AM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Those lace up collars were truly wretched. They looked too low down on the jerseys and usually looked like afterthoughts somehow.

ice hockey tops uk - Shop The Best Discounts Online OFF -53%

Team USA Nike 2022 Olympic Adult Hockey Jersey

I think that's one thing that the teams need to lean on Nike about.  Making sure that the standard collar has pride of place over some new template design is imperative. The current Nike jersey that uses a design from Oregon's football jersey is just not a good look. 

Canada Beats ROC In Women's Hockey With Team USA On Deck – NBC10  Philadelphia

Beijing 2022 Women's Ice Hockey: Five things to know about the rivalry  between Canada vs USA

I'd also want to see the numbers move back down the sleeves. It wouldn't work for shoulder patches with the numbers right up against them. Though I wonder if they would go away so that the Stanley Cup patches could sit there instead. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

ice hockey tops uk - Shop The Best Discounts Online OFF -53%

Team USA Nike 2022 Olympic Adult Hockey Jersey

I think that's one thing that the teams need to lean on Nike about.  Making sure that the standard collar has pride of place over some new template design is imperative. The current Nike jersey that uses a design from Oregon's football jersey is just not a good look. 

Canada Beats ROC In Women's Hockey With Team USA On Deck – NBC10  Philadelphia

Beijing 2022 Women's Ice Hockey: Five things to know about the rivalry  between Canada vs USA

I'd also want to see the numbers move back down the sleeves. It wouldn't work for shoulder patches with the numbers right up against them. Though I wonder if they would go away so that the Stanley Cup patches could sit there instead. 

You didn’t even show their “lace up” collars, that in reality is just white crisscross lines screen printed there

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

You didn’t even show their “lace up” collars, that in reality is just white crisscross lines screen printed there

Yeah, I saw some pics of the Penn State jersey but didn't see the Nike logo on them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, dont care said:

spacer.png

there you go

The road jerseys are even worse.

Evan Bell - Men's Ice Hockey - Penn State University Athletics

It's really too bad, the team originally wore actual laces which looked considerably better.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The current Nike jersey that uses a design from Oregon's football jersey is just not a good look. 

That rubber thing will most likely be replaced with the NHL logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The freak out happening because fans of the one league Nike hasn't projectile vomited onto would prefer it stay that way is kind of interesting. 

Nike fans really feel entitled. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 2

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

The freak out happening because fans of the one league Nike hasn't projectile vomited onto would prefer it stay that way is kind of interesting. 

Nike fans really feel entitled. 

Can't say I've noticed this so-called freakout, just people pointing out that there were a ton of issues with Adidas, so Adidas walking away the NHL isn't the end of the world.

Again, we have no idea who's getting the contract yet, so all the doomposting about Nike "projectile vomiting" all over the NHL is very premature.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12