Adidas, NHL to split after 23-24 season

BJ Sands

2 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

What do our posts here accomplish? 😂

About the same, so might as well post here if you know about the forums. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Tell us more about Nike’s contract with the WNBA. 

Nike will make money with the NHL. NHL fans probably buy more jerseys than any other sport outside football and maybe soccer.

Hasn't the wnba supplier deal been in tandem with the nba? That's why I did not consider it as an outlier. I would agree that nike supplier and merch deals are better performers in north america but I stand by my position that the nhl contract is likely not a priority for them to tie up capital and resources on when there are other investments that they can make via colleges, endorsements, or other sports leagues that have better demographic indicators that favor investment. 

19 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Hasn't the wnba supplier deal been in tandem with the nba? That's why I did not consider it as an outlier. I would agree that nike supplier and merch deals are better performers in north america but I stand by my position that the nhl contract is likely not a priority for them to tie up capital and resources on when there are other investments that they can make via colleges, endorsements, or other sports leagues that have better demographic indicators that favor investment. 

This argument is pretty empty without substantial data. 

What colleges are they targeting that would be a better investment? 

adidas doesn't show any financial stats or ROI stats with their NHL or MLS deals in their financial statements (nor colleges or endorsements), and  I presume Nike doesn't either, so I'm not sure why anyone would talk assertively about this. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

We're on the same page as a picture of Nike's ridiculous-looking collars! 

The U of M men’s hockey collars skip over whatever Nike did with collars. The shoulder yoke pattern just goes right over the collar. 

Gophers0101.jpg?w=978

It would be interesting to see if NHL teams would follow suit if they wanted better looking collars that have the same flat feel. 

• Hurl 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

6 hours ago, adsarebad said:

there were other users then us forum members, and it is always nice to get as many different opinions as possible.

It was also difficult to manage and a frequent target for spammers.  At least here, we have ways to manage it better.

I’m not entirely thrilled with the idea of Nike taking over but what really peaks my interest is which (if any) teams use the brand switch to change or tweak their looks.

when adidas took over a few teams made small changes most stayed the same and some swapped more than a handful of things.

I wonder if any teams opt to go “throwback” similar to what the Yotes just did, if any team changes primary Jersey color (similar to Edmonton) etc.

personally I hope the Bruins add gold socks and have a proper 80s throwback as an alternate 

Dallas goes back to cup winning template with “victory green” instead of darker green

Columbus goes cannon for home and away 

3 hours ago, Hambone792 said:

I’m not entirely thrilled with the idea of Nike taking over but what really peaks my interest is which (if any) teams use the brand switch to change or tweak their looks.

when adidas took over a few teams made small changes most stayed the same and some swapped more than a handful of things.

I wonder if any teams opt to go “throwback” similar to what the Yotes just did, if any team changes primary Jersey color (similar to Edmonton) etc.

personally I hope the Bruins add gold socks and have a proper 80s throwback as an alternate 

Dallas goes back to cup winning template with “victory green” instead of darker green

Columbus goes cannon for home and away 

I just hope the last remnants of the Edge years are phased out for good this time and that the Ducks go back to eggplant and jade and the Caps keep the same basic design (I think the logos, font and colours look just fine) but de-Edgify it and go for a more conventional stripping pattern. Same goes for LA, get rid of the piping and you end up with a pretty decent uniform. The Sharks badly need some waist stripes at the very least but I can picture them being one of the handful teams with a stale jersey that could get a disastrous Nike makeover. The Hurricanes also strike me as a strong candidate for a complete makeover for some reason. Their uni set with 3 completely different jerseys is a mess and none of them look particularly good

The league has never looked better imo. I hope we don't see too many drastic changes from teams I didn't mention. It would be nice if Boston brought back yellow socks, NJ went back to their Cup winning set with waist stripes and Tampa started wearing black gear again but I'm just wishful thinking

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

Is there any jersey manufacturer who still does a straight hemline? I will personally donate money if they are bidding on the NHL contract.

I’m fairly certain that Nike of all companies, has straight hemlines on their sweaters. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10