Rogers Centre/Skydome Renovations

spartacat_12

Late last year the Blue Jays announced they would continue to try and upgrade their stadium with a $300 million renovation project. They have released renderings of what the changes will look like, specifically to the outfield. The big changes are raised bullpens, adjustments to the wall (including moving seats right up against it), and replacing the upper deck seats with more standing room/bleacher-style/patio seating.

It's never going to be a classic ballpark, but this is definitely a big improvement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

If those renovations do take place, the Skydome will be a baseball only facility going forward?

It already became a baseball only facility once the Argos moved out and they put in a dirt infield 

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is that real grass?

No, still the fake stuff.

I saw, I came, I left.

19 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Do they still have those hotel suites that can be seen from the stadium? If they do, they should call it the base rounding suite.

Yup! That's the windows you see above/beside the scoreboard. 

I remember when that happened, lol.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

If those renovations do take place, the Skydome will be a baseball only facility going forward?

It kind of is already.

There is a track that the lower bowl bleachers are on to rotate for football but when the Argos left it was locked in. I forget the specifics right now...it was either a small renovation or repair or something they did but the short is the seating configuration as it is today is permanent becasue of that. Once the renovation is done it's 100% not an option to have a second seating configuration.....and they dug out a real dirt path as @DEAD!alluded to so there would be a big infield shaped hole now, lol. 

33 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

No, still the fake stuff.

Just to add to this......Apparently there was a whole bunch of research done but the short of it is that real grass isn't an option.

In order to build a proper drainage system and have proper airflow and all sorts of stuff I'd never even have considered to grow grass they'd need to knock the building down and start over. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Burmy said:

Lookin' sharp...gonan feel like a legit ballpark now!

Hopefully, as a gesture of goodwill towards the fans, it can be rebranded as the Rogers Skydome now.

And then, bring back Domer

Domer.jpg?fit=531,346

• Applause 3

I saw, I came, I left.

I think the SkyDome looks even worse from the outside than it does from the inside. It's just concrete and glass.

All this renovation does is turn cheap seats no one was buying into lifestyle seats no one will be able to afford. Everything that has ever been bad about it as a ballpark will continue to be bad. They would be better off starting all over, but that assumes that there's any real estate left in Toronto that hasn't been given over to money-laundering condos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So these changes are mostly from the foul lines to mid-center? The seating area below the scoreboard was redone a few years ago, and the only change I see with those bleachers is that they will now extend right to the outfield wall, instead of having that gap that drops down about 10 feet.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think the SkyDome looks even worse from the outside than it does from the inside. It's just concrete and glass.

All this renovation does is turn cheap seats no one was buying into lifestyle seats no one will be able to afford. Everything that has ever been bad about it as a ballpark will continue to be bad. They would be better off starting all over, but that assumes that there's any real estate left in Toronto that hasn't been given over to money-laundering condos.

The new outfield patio areas won't be ticketed. They will just be standing room areas that anyone in the stadium can watch the game from, similar to the Flight Deck. Maybe if they're hosting a playoff game they'll sell SRO tickets for that area, but they would literally be the most affordable option.

The stadium itself will never be perfect, but it's in a perfect location. The two options for a new stadium would be to either build in a much less convenient spot, or to find a temporary home for 4-5 years while they teardown the dome and build on the same spot.

18 hours ago, slapshot said:

So these changes are mostly from the foul lines to mid-center? The seating area below the scoreboard was redone a few years ago, and the only change I see with those bleachers is that they will now extend right to the outfield wall, instead of having that gap that drops down about 10 feet.

They're also replacing the entire lower bowl. The seats along the foul lines will be reconfigured to actually face the plate, instead of facing center field like they currently do. You can see a bit of what it will look like on the right side of the second rendering. 

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

They're also replacing the entire lower bowl. The seats along the foul lines will be reconfigured to actually face the plate, instead of facing center field like they currently do. You can see a bit of what it will look like on the right side of the second rendering. 

I believe the outfield area is phase 1, and then the rest in future phases.

Any truth to the rumour that they're going to memorialize the exact location where Ultimate Warrior pressed Hulk Hogan over his head with a statue that may or may not actually be in the field of play?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Based on the one time I was at Rogers Centre about 10 years ago, I think renovation is definitely needed. It was just dark and dingy in there (the roof was also closed due to rain), and the concourses werent anything special. I've never been to any of the other roofed stadiums, but it just didn't feel like I was at an actual baseball stadium.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Any truth to the rumour that they're going to memorialize the exact location where Ultimate Warrior pressed Hulk Hogan over his head with a statue that may or may not actually be in the field of play?

They put such a statue beside the Ted Rogers one.

I saw, I came, I left.