Wolves Logo and Jersey Concept

MDGP

I'm not particularly a fan of the Wolverhampton Wanderers crest; it feels generally outdated and the general shapes of the wolf head and crest are just unappealing to me. So, much like my Oxford United concept, I wanted to create a new design that keeps the spirit of the current logo while implementing alterations that I'd prefer to see.

2t9eAfE.png

spacer.png

I consistently debated throughout this process whether I dislike the wolf head or the hexagon shape more, and it basically has come down to a tie, so the solution was to change both. The wolf head feels stuck in 1980 and has never worked with any crest shape they've attempted to use, and I'll give them credit, the current design looks better than the absolutely horrendous 90s design. So, I decided to make the wolf head look a bit more like an actual wolf, cutting down the angles of the cheek and giving them a slight curve. The wolf's snout takes on a more triangular shape and features a white nose, as the general snout area feels like a bit of a black hole currently. Finally, I altered the eyes to be less equilateral and harks back to the original wolf head design that featured angular eyes.

The crest is shaped like an oblong pentagon with two curved sides that conform with the new wolf head, creating a sleeker overall crest shape with fewer large empty spaces.

And hey, while you're here I also made some kits to go with the design!

spacer.png

I'll be honest with you, I was feeling pretty 90s when I designed these.

The primary yellow jersey features a tonal pattern created from a stylized W pattern overlayed to create a gradient mosaic. The W pattern is also featured as stylized black hoops. Both the yellow base of the jersey and the hoops are given a weathered look.

The clash kit also features a tonal pattern loosely inspired by the Wolves' late 90s kits that featured the wolf head logo as a teal mosaic pattern. The teal returns albeit in a lighter shade and a simplified geometric heart-like shape takes the place of the wolf heads. The gradient itself is weathered. Finally the cuffs and collars feature a striping pattern inspired by the crest itself, with a black-white-yellow-black pattern that matches the colors of the shield and wolf head.

That's all I've got for today, let me know what you think!

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'm by no means a soccer fan and thus have no knowledge of the team's history or visual identity, but I like it! It retains the same simple construction without losing the personality. I feel like the wolf head isn't quite centered though, moving it slightly up would make it more visually aligned with the badge. That gap in the ears makes the spacing look wonky as it stands currently. 

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

This is a very nice update for the reasons mentioned above. I like the simplicity and boldness of it all. I would try to make the amount of yellow space between the sides of the ears nearly identical to the amount of yellow space between sides of the snout on the bottom. It would probably be solved by simply sliding the wolf's head very, very slightly upward. 

19 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I'm by no means a soccer fan and thus have no knowledge of the team's history or visual identity, but I like it! It retains the same simple construction without losing the personality. I feel like the wolf head isn't quite centered though, moving it slightly up would make it more visually aligned with the badge. That gap in the ears makes the spacing look wonky as it stands currently. 

Oh, I most certainly will be hanged for crimes against the crown for making a change to their crest, at least that's my understanding of the reaction to any changes by soccer fans.

14 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Agreed with @PERRIN about the spacing. I often find myself making things mathematically centered instead of visually centered and I think this is a case of that. Putting a 'W' between the ears might alleviate this, otherwise moving it up a smidge. 

8 hours ago, jaha32 said:

This is a very nice update for the reasons mentioned above. I like the simplicity and boldness of it all. I would try to make the amount of yellow space between the sides of the ears nearly identical to the amount of yellow space between sides of the snout on the bottom. It would probably be solved by simply sliding the wolf's head very, very slightly upward. 

Thanks everyone for the comments regarding the alignment of the wolf head and spacing within the shield. Looking back at a few of my earlier variations, originally the head was both mathematically and visually centered, but I'd made an alteration to the snout and for whatever reason just went blind to the misalignment.

Cfn6JYp.png

I also made a few slight changes to the wolf head, it's slightly longer with the inside of the ears taking on a slightly different angle, but maintaining the overall look. I think this fixed the issue, but definitely let me know if you disagree.

• Like 7

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The changes made a big difference. Really good.

Another change that would improve the concept is to just get rid of the white from the crest entirely. From a distance the white and old gold bleed together, and getting rid of the current black boarder and making the white outline black would make the crest look even sleeker.

• Like 1