Sports You don't care about

Kooky01

2 hours ago, Sport said:

This was my point earlier . . . Who cares?

And my point earlier was that a lot of people care — an observation which is borne out by this thread. 

As I have mentioned, language underlies everything. A conversation explicitly about language, especially one about the meaning of a given word, will tend to be more thought -provoking and more interesting than any other conversation.

Even if no consensus is reached, the act of engaging in such a nourishing and stimulating exchange is worthwhile for its own sake. (This, too, has been demonstrated by the present thread.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And my point earlier was that a lot of people care — an observation which is borne out by this thread. 

As I have mentioned, language underlies everything. A conversation explicitly about language, especially one about the meaning of a given word, will tend to be more thought -provoking and more interesting than any other conversation.

Even if no consensus is reached, the act of engaging in such a nourishing and stimulating exchange is worthwhile for its own sake. (This, too, has been demonstrated by the present thread.)

Language. Great. The definition of "sport" is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." If there's competition, if there's a physical skill involved, and if there's strategy then it's a sport. Period. The debate here only serves to cut some sports down as less than, which is lame and weird. This need to draw a line in the sand where X is a sport because of Y while Z isn't a sport because of A is silly.

7 hours ago, tBBP said:

Exhibit A of both the bolded: the 2019 Masters. Even though Tiger Woods was back by (IIRC) about a good four or five strokes going into that Sunday, did y'all see how he had them young boys ahead of them, especially Brooks Keopka, completely shook? The crazy thing is Tiger played the course mostly safe, not taking too many unnecessary risks, but him knowing the course plus all that experience behind him gave him an advantage--and somewhere around the 14th hole, I watched, in successive order, each of the younger guys ahead of Tiger just melt under the pressure of intimidation, knowing that Tiger was charging after them (which really had been Tiger's MO well before 2019). By I think hole sixteen, the tournament was Tiger's to take...and it was a glorious sight to take in.

Another example is Greg Norman's meltdown in the 96 Masters blowing a six stroke lead to Nick Faldo and losing by five strokes. Doesn't happen if Faldo goes out there and plays par golf. He put the pressure on Norman who folded like laundry. Tiger also big-boyed Phil in a few of their showdowns where he outdrove him with a three wood. You hit your best teeshot and this guy goes a club up and still beats you you start to make some bad choices, take risks where you shouldn't. In pursuit of a birdie you make a mistake and make bogey instead of par. 

And we're just talking about the mental game here. Strategy wise the pro game is a chess match on a level that a lot of people don't realize (and I'd suggest to a lot of you that if you don't know what you're talking about the best course of action is to just avoid showing your ass.) The strategy - club, wind, swing path, hands, grass, the surface you're on, the terrain of the green, the pin placement, hazards, leaving yourself in an advantageous position to putt, your opponent's move, and the physical execution of all that is a whole other ball of wax. You guys want to know why people watch golf? It's because the pros being able to execute with all of that in mind is close to a super power. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Hold on, is this thread a sport?

Activity involving physical exertion*? Check.

Competing against other individuals for the same goal? Check.

Purely for entertainment? Check. 

By definition, this thread is a sport.

*(no one said how much...using your fingers to type and scroll is exerting physical energy.)

• LOL 1