CFL Redesign - Atlantic Schooners

colinturner95

I think you guys would call me crazy if you knew just how many projects I have in the pipeline at any given time. My wife thinks I have ADHD, just in the opposite direction of her diagnosis. I don't know about that but she might be on to something. Anyways, I'd been scraping the barrel for things to work on. I've got two projects that are somewhat on-going but pretty massive in relative scale. I needed something to fill in the gaps and not let my creativity lapse, which is how I get designers' block which is good for no one. 

Anyways, I wanted to jump into the NFL for a third time, but I just didn't feel like it yet, but I was feeling football with college starting and the NFL starting up right after. So I turned my attention north of the border, and decided to take a stab at the CFL for the first time. With some deep history in the league as a whole and of course with the 9 teams, it felt like a good warm up to segway into an NFL series down the road. So for this series, I'll be using a Nike template, though like the New Era jerseys, the Swoosh moves to the back under the collar. Also playing around with a new helmet template after many successful runs with the Revo Speed. 

Every team will have four uniforms: Home, Away, Alternate (that doesn't have to just be a color swap, looking at you NFL), and a Heritage uniform. Something between a straight throwback uniform and an NBA mixtape uniform. You'll also notice a CFL logo that you don't recognize on the uniform images. It was set to be a new league logo, but I didn't like it compared to what it would replace, but it will serve nicely as a good project logo. 

We begin in the West, in Beautiful British Columbia (the CFL team I'm closest to):

JOk3MhE.png

BC Lions - Home & Away - the Lions seem to be in this constant struggle between being an orange first team or a black first team. They started off in orange. Then went to black. And back again throughout their history. I felt the team should continue to embrace the orange over black on their jerseys. For the design. I went back to stripes based around the uniforms around the time the team won their first Grey Cup. 

• Helmets - Black and white. ( I couldn't see any verbage in the CFL's rules about helmet limits, akin to the now repealed one helmet rule in the No Fun League but found nothing, but self-imposed a two helmet limit that I'll try and follow as best I can). Iconic BC lion logo on the sides of both, with both helmets now carrying the triple stripe debuted a few seasons ago. 
  • Jerseys - Like I said above, back to a classic stripe on the sleeves, in a way, similar to the Cleveland Browns' stripes. Went with a pretty classic block font for the name and numbers. 
  • Pants - Mirroring their helmets, the pants also have the triple stripes down the sides, BC monogram on the hip. 
  • Socks & Cleats - The Lions have three sets of socks, all three striped. A rule I'm trying here is that teams can wear either: all white socks that MUST have a stripe or the classic color above white socks that CAN be striped but aren't required to. Plus cleat options for each uniform. 

HzmrxgD.png

BC Lions - Alternate & Heritage:

• Alternate - For the alternate uniform, breaking away from the stripes on the jerseys and went with something similar to what Baylor football did some seasons ago, with the classic paw print logo becoming the feature of the jerseys, and also giving us a look at the team's black pants. 
  • Heritage - Our first entry in the Heritage category. Let's break er down: 

g1Ue31A.png

BC Lions - Apparel - I had a lot of fun designing apparel towards the end of my PLL series, and thought I'd keep it going for, probably the foreseeable future. For the CFL teams and, right now, the BC Lions, just a small sampling of apparel. From a simple hat to things like coaches polos and quarter zip jackets, to player and more active gear like shirts of varying sleeve length to hoodies and shorts. 

C&C welcome! Really excited for this one!

• Like 9

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Always love when people go with 4 jerseys per team in their concept series. Especially making their 3rd different but still kinda traditional. And always gotta have a retro. Also love how you have an explanation for each design. And the merch is an added touch. Good job! 

• Like 1

zyyMk1d.png

lvCfJob.png

Calgary Stampeders - Home & Away - Moving a little bit to the east and we end up in Calgary. Calgary had a similar problem to BC, but much less prevalent. Where BC has some issues with deciding between black and orange, Calgary somedays feels like they should go back to red and grey and leave black in the past. Much less of an issue than what BC had but I felt that grey suits Calgary better than black does. 

• Helmets - red and white with the classic horse logo on the sides. Nothing crazy. 
  • Jersey - A classic northwestern stripe on the sleeves with some added spurs to give the whole uniform a more Western flair. Same applies to the numbers, which also use the spur idea, but they've been doing that for a little while now too. 
  • Pants - Like the jerseys, northwestern stripe on the sides of the pants, stripes also spurred. 
  • Socks & Cleats - Nothing crazy, solid red socks with all the cleat options. 

8rJ0PXw.png

Calgary Stampeders - Alternate & Heritage:

8wUXXGk.png

Calgary Stampeders - Apparel - Lot of red and a lot of grey. I did also change up the t-shirt from a generic wordmark to the team specific wordmark, the one that I completely forgot to mention is new. It borrows from old wordmarks from the team's past, with the drop shadow and a newish western font. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Calgary Stampeders

Loving both teams so far! Both teams look classy yet modern enough to stand out. I'm loving that number font for Calgary and all of the alternates are tastefully done. Excellent job so far like always, looking forward to how the rest of the series plays out!

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

aps934i.png

Edmonton Elks - Home & Away - As I wrote down on my notes, "It's a new era in Edmonton" and I'm not talking about Connor McDavid. Unlike a certain football team based near the United States' capital, Edmonton really did a good job with the rebrand. The newest uniforms however, fell flat IMO.  It's a new era in Edmonton, let's take some risks. 

• Helmet - The first team to showcase 3 designs on just two shells, green helmet not currently pictured. But the antler helmet was abandoned too quickly and makes a reappearance here. Plus a classic style with the double EE on the side. 
  • Jersey - Using the double stripe from the 2021 and the new antlers, we get a combination of the Jets uniforms with a little more Canadian prairie added in. Plus a more classic number font. The new font just looks awkward. 
  • Pants - Earlier drafts had an antler design on the lower pants but didn't work out how I would have liked. So an offset stripe on the sides of the pants. 
  • Socks & Cleats - Green and white striped socks. Assortment of cleat options. 

KQh1v1g.png

Edmonton Elks - Alternate & Heritage: 

• Alternate - The alternate properly introduces the green helmet, yellow EE on the side. More classic stripes on the sleeves, Antler-Football logos on the sleeves, much like Edmonton uniforms of years and nicknames' past. Gold socks also introduced for this uniform and this one only. 
  • Heritage - The Elks rich history leads us from the late 50's into the present. 
    • Helmet - A blank green helmet with a classic triple stripe using old gold in place of the current gold. 
    • Jersey - Green jersey with the old gold, with shoulder stripes homaging 1965. The iconic stripes on the sleeves from 1966 on, using the old gold. Number font comes from 1949, classic varsity serif font. 
    • Pants - Green pants with the same stripe as the helmet. Socks match the jersey stripes. 

uOCsiLG.png

Edmonton Elks - Apparel - I have no ties to Edmonton or the CFL, but early contenders for my personal favorites. Big fan of the shirt with the Elks logo + wordmark, and the gold polo shirt. Honestly not a bad choice in the bunch here. 

C&C welcome!

On 10/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, PERRIN said:

Loving both teams so far! Both teams look classy yet modern enough to stand out. I'm loving that number font for Calgary and all of the alternates are tastefully done. Excellent job so far like always, looking forward to how the rest of the series plays out!

On 10/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, Djruggs said:

great work so far!

On 10/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, the_grateful_ted said:

Both have been excellent, good work Colin! 

I always feel a sense of trepidation on trying to redesign leagues I'm not super familiar with, but I always appreciate your guys' comments! 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Edmonton Elks

4XDS03C.png

Saskatchewan Roughriders - Home & Away: The West's oldest continuously operated gridiron football team (emphasis on West) doesn't need frills and anything crazy modern to get involved in their uniforms. Now that doesn't mean there can be small little things added to give a classic uniform a small, modern feel. 

• Helmet - classic green double striped helmet. the white helmet now also has the double stripe as well. Biggest change is Blitz Green now has a place on the uniforms full time, here it now serves as a non-offensive outline on the logo. 
  • Jersey - The classic shoulder stripes move to the sleeves pretty much as is, now with a subtle wheat pattern in the middle of the stripes. Contrasting collar, with the wheat pattern featured very small near the point of the collar. 
  • Pants - very classic, fitting the uniform, double stripes down the sides with the primary logo on the hips. 
  • Socks & Cleats - double stripes like the rest of the uniforms. cleat color options. 

r1AsxUM.png

Saskatchewan Roughriders - Alternate & Heritage:

• Alternate - Blitz Green made its debut with the Signature Series uniforms in 2014. It now has its own uniform to itself. A simple recolor of the home/away uniforms, just with the greens trading places. 
  • Heritage - With a deep history, the Heritage uniform celebrates the 50's and 60's, as well as the true classic uniforms the Roughriders have worn

i9D5KIw.png

Saskatchewan Roughriders - Apparel - wanted to mix in some of the blitz green into the apparel, leading to a bright polo shirt and pair of athletic shorts. Otherwise, the classic Sask. Green for the majority of the apparel and a white long sleeve for some options. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Saskatchewan Roughriders

That's 2 more amazing entries into a series that's quickly becoming one of my favorites. The elk horn striping looks awesome for Edmonton and the wheat stalk detailing for Saskatchewan is perfect. The way you've been balancing modernity with history throughout this series is enviable. Amazing job as always, can't wait to see the rest of the series!

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

4cAFi2K.png

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Home & Away - Winnipeg has looked good with all the changes in CFL apparel partnership in the last few seasons. The best part about it was the return to royal blue and gold. Just feels more befitting of the Bombers. Despite the already classic approach to the uniforms, I changed things up a little bit, with much inspiration coming from the all-blue uniforms.

• Helmet - Gold. No reason to switch from that. Single stripe, classic W logo on the sides. 
  • Jerseys - Based largely on the new alternate jerseys, the Bombers switch to a shoulder stripe set-up, angled a lot like ranking bars on a military uniform. More on that later. Big logo is nowhere to be found, wordmarks above the numbers. 
  • Pants - Venturing slightly away from the classic, are angled stripes towards the bottom of the legs, with the W on the hips. 
  • Socks & Cleats - first team to have different sock designs. Solid blue and striped white. I personally felt like the blue striped socks were too much. 

MHZ3ww0.png

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Alternate & Heritage:

• Alternate - Took me 5 teams, but the soft two helmet limit was broken finally. I really liked the Signature Series uniforms for the Blue Bombers, but felt they could be better. So this uniform is very much inspired by RCAF formal dress, going all navy, with stripes on the sleeves in the fashion of ranking bars. W-logo on the shoulders, WINNIPEG and BLUE BOMBERS wordmarks above the stripes. Fonts are taken from RCAF aircraft standards. New patch-inspired logo on the helmet and front hip. 
  • Heritage - Winnipeg had a lot going on in the early days. They also won a few Grey Cups before the CFL was formally formed, including the first under the CFL banner. 

dTyFt5z.png

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Apparel - Not much going on here. Lotta blue and a lotta gold going on. 

C&C welcome! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

We've reached halftime of this series, and before we move onto the East, I had some apparel updates for West. I realized that I was putting these Heritage Throwback uniforms out there, with no apparel, completely forgetting how well throwbacks and their accompanying merch sells in most cases: 

NxB9kUk.png IYHugDe.png

jKxQZHW.png U6sjlJI.png

7slkDR3.png ziMimAM.png

Still following the previously established pattern of merch: hat, quarter zip, long sleeve, polo, sweatshirt, t-shirt. The athletic shorts have been replaced with a pom beanie, which I felt portrays more of a throwback vibe. 

• BC Lions - Black and orange, with the paw print logo combined with the interlocking BC the team trademarked in 2021, but have yet to do anything with that I've seen. 
    • Personal Choice - I like all of them, but the long sleeve speaks to me. 
  • Calgary Stampeders - the 40's era logo, on red and white backgrounds. 
    • Personal Choice - It's a tie between the hoodie and the beanie for me. 
  • Edmonton Elks - I resurrected the team's first real logo and replaced the Eskimos with Elks on the larger banner. 
    • Personal Choice - None of these really jump at me, maybe it's the color combo, but the t-shirt is pretty classic. 
  • Saskatchewan Roughriders - classic green and white with the 60's era logo. 
    • Personal Choice - The polo shirt is super nice, just clean and no frills. 
  • Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Winnipeg has a unique approach, given that their alternate is so different from their Home & Away uniforms that it can justify a second apparel set. Alternate set continues the RCAF theme, throwback continues with the royal and bright gold theme.
    • Personal Choices - Either the quarter zip or the hoodie on the Alternate set, and either of the headwear choices for the throwback.

C&C welcome! East coming soon!!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - West Throwback Apparel

Our first stop in the Eastern Conference: 

98PLIGS.png

Hamilton Tiger-Cats - Home & Away - Hamilton, since 1954, and even earlier has loved stripes. Nothing wrong with that. I myself am a big fan of stripes. The problem is what do you do with stripes when the real estate to show off those stripes gets smaller and smaller? 

• Helmet - The classic black helmet sticks around with the flying tiger on the sides. A new double gold stripe is added to the helmets. 
  • Jersey - The myriad of stripes returns to the sleeves, this time smaller and alternating in color. the stripes lead off with white, homaging the 60's era black jersey style.
  • Pants - The pants mirror the helmets, with a single color - double stripe down the sides. 
  • Socks & Cleats - Either solid color black socks or fully striped socks. Full gamut of cleat color options as well. 

ZAkQiE5.png

Hamilton Tiger-Cats - Alternate & Heritage:

• Alternate - I think many of us on the boards here were not quite on board with "The Hammer" alternates, even though I had tried to salvage the Hammer H logo as an alternate logo, which did not work. But a completely different take on the alternates for the Ti-Cats, going for the gold, which I think is a first since the early 2000's(?). The stripes space out a little bit, going 4 on each sleeve, each stripe having the year of a Grey Cup Championship on the stripe. Hopefully they don't win one any time soon. 
  • Heritage - I did my best to celebrate as much of Hamilton football as I could on this uniform, from the Tigers, to the Wildcats, to the Tiger-Cats. 

H8EDST0.png CpPKPOq.png

Hamilton Tiger-Cats - Apparel - The regular apparel floats between the flying tiger logo and the full logo with the roundel. Otherwise follows along with the pattern. The throwback apparel further homages the team's history, with a Tiger-Cats wordmark that is based off the Wildcats old wordmark.  The throwback apparel also uses the old tiger head. If I had to pick: I'd choose the gold long sleeve from the regular apparel and probably the hoodie from the throwback apparel. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • 2 weeks later...

ImsR510.png

Montreal Alouettes - Home & Away - I don't know how the Als rebrand has been fully received, given that it's only been 3 seasons of the new look. I personally am undecided but I'm also not following the CFL super closely. One thing I am sure about is that the Als need different uniforms. The current ones are just meh. 

• Helmet - Navy and white helmets, with the newer M logo on the sides, this time in 2 colors. 
  • Jersey - I was a big fan of the uniforms the Alouettes wore leading up to the rebrand, so that style returns in sort of a modified way, with some tweaks. Namely in the shoulder yoke flanked by two smaller stripes on the end of the shoulders. New number font that more closely resembles the wordmarks. 
  • Pants, Socks & Cleats - The pants have a shortened version of the shoulder yoke leading up from the bottom of the shorts and ends about in the middle of the thigh, with the roundel logo at the hip. Socks similarly match the shoulder design, all colors of cleats. 

wchVlXF.png

Montreal Alouettes - Alternate & Heritage:

• The alternate for the Als inverts the shoulder design to the sleeve caps, again similarly mimicking the previous uniform set, but doesn't deviate too far from the new design. 
  • With such a heavy influence from the previous set in the main uniforms, the Heritage uniform for the Alouettes goes back further, celebrating the early days and dominance of the team in the 60's and 70's. 
    • Helmet - The 1960-1969 wings return to the white helmet, this time flanked with a blue outline. I also included the four logos from the 2019 rebrand on the rear of the helmet, just above the ridge. I was a fan of how it looked when they put it on the new navy helmet, and thought it would work on a heritage uniform like this. 
    • Jersey - the jersey (and red on the whole of the uniform) comes from the darker appearance of the red from the throwback logos used on the helmets in 2018(IIRC). Stripes come from the 1971 uniforms, when the team wore green and red. I did want to include green in some capacity, but I didn't like the end results. Double outlined numbers come from the early 2000's-2010's.
    • Pants & Socks - Pants go simple, an asymmetric double stripe, coming from the aforementioned 2000's uniform cuff stripes. Socks match the jerseys. 

pjFE7lf.png 9D4Of0s.png

Montreal Alouettes - Apparel: 

• The everyday apparel for the Alouettes is a lot of "rouge et bleu". It was also a chance to see how the logo reflexes, with some of the merch going for the outlined approach, or the two-toned look, or the more "official" roundel logo. 
  • The heritage apparel for the Als, is the same but a "rouge et blue differents". This merch utilizes the 70's wordmark, slightly tweaked on the A and the S with the four single color logos above it. 
  • Designers Choices - I'd have to go with either of the shirts: I love the blue heather pattern, but I also love the wordmark over the logo look as well. On the throwbacks, the hoodie is my choice, the colors and stripes are the winner for me. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFL Redesign - Montreal Alouettes
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I forgot to mention this on here, but I recently was hired on with Fanatics to be an apparel designer. Super exciting to finally be doing (at least something similar to what I've done here for many years) that I've always wanted to do. 

SL9T26T.png

Ottawa RedBlacks - Home & Away - CFL football has been back in Ottawa for almost ten seasons now, but they haven't landed on a solid look yet. They've had bits and pieces of good, but an equal if not greater amount of bad. That doesn't quite add up to a winning uniform combination. 

• Helmets - black and white helmets. The white helmet was a late addition but despite being the RedBlacks, I do appreciate the all-white possibility. Both helmets have the sawblade logo on the sides. 
  • Jerseys - In an effort for something simpler, the sawblade logo becomes the focus, being clipped on the sleeve caps, also creating an offset stripe look as well. 
  • Pants & Socks - The stripe down the side of the pants, ends about in the middle of the side in the same style as the sleeve caps, R logo on the hip. A few options for socks, black striped, black solid, and a white striped option. 

FIfv3lQ.png

Ottawa RedBlacks - Alternate & Heritage:

• Alternate - The plaid was one of the good things the Rouge et Noir have done well pretty decently I'd say, but it's felt somewhat haphazard in how it's been used. With new uniforms that featured plaid on away uniforms but not on the home uniforms...? Didn't make much since to me. So the alternate jersey goes red and leans heavily into the plaid pattern. Only change to the helmet in this case is the back bumper now has a plaid sticker. The sleeve caps now feature plaid. As do the pants, which have a plaid pattern down the side with the saw logo in the middle of the pattern. 
  • Heritage - In a very similar vein to the Alouettes, Ottawa went through a quote "phase of non-participation". Nevertheless, like their Montreal counterpart, the RedBlacks celebrate their franchises past. 

i1PTKY5.png cnfWpxa.png

Ottawa RedBlacks - Apparel - The everyday apparel for the RedBlacks follows the established path, Sawblade R on everything. Throwback apparel brings the triple stripe back to the hat and hoodies. 

• Designer's Choices - The regular red long sleeve is probably on my short list for best of the best for apparel. The same could also go for the throwback hoodie, but I think my choice is on the black/red long sleeve shirt. I can't quite explain why, but I like it a lot. 

C&C welcome!

3 hours ago, raysox said:

Absolutely love everything in this thread so far. Can’t wait for more!

Much appreciated from a legend of the boards! 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png