NHL Uniform Concepts - FINAL WORDS

edjb93

18 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

BTW I don't think you designed the floral pattern correctly, they are supposed to be going in opposite directions to each other and the pattern on the back doesn't follow the ones on the front. 

Thanks for the observation! For some reason, I'm unable to find a 2D, Paint-friendly version of VGK's floral pattern, so that's the best thing that I can do.

Moving on from Vegas, I wanna know which other teams should I update. I'm still in the process of conceptualizing how my Lightning concept shall look like.

The teams that stick out to me that could use a revision are the stars and caps home and roads. I felt the stars logo didn't work well with the striping pattern as it was not aligning correctly. The caps jerseys are just kind of boring. To me the most interesting part is the eagle shoulder patch, but it looks out of place on a generally static looking jersey. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

The teams that stick out to me that could use a revision are the stars and caps home and roads. I felt the stars logo didn't work well with the striping pattern as it was not aligning correctly. The caps jerseys are just kind of boring. To me the most interesting part is the eagle shoulder patch, but it looks out of place on a generally static looking jersey. 

Now that I looked upon Stars' home and road concepts, I thought these should have redesigned. I'll try to fix them.

As for the Capitals, I'm already satisfied with the design, since I wanted the home and road jerseys to have a bit of a throwback flavor. However, I might take design suggestions for those jerseys.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

And for the final team for this series (or is it?), I added more black, just the way it's supposed to be. The simple design won't work in this case, so I devised a different striping for the home and road jerseys, mimicking thunderbolts. The home jersey is still blue, though.

The alternate jersey was inspired by the Lightning's 2022 Stadium Series jersey, but added more outlines to the thunderbolts. And instead of using the same number font from that particular jersey, I used the font from their inaugural jerseys.

The Reverse Retro is essentially a silver version of the team's Bolts alternate from 2008 to 2014. This time, though, blue helmet and pants are paired with this one.

4deXArD.png

itawcZY.png

J8cyrZ2.png

tsOayVo.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - A Thunderstruck Ending...or Is It?
On 1/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, edjb93 said:

Now that I looked upon Stars' home and road concepts, I thought these should have redesigned. I'll try to fix them.

This is the design I should've gone with in the first place. I went with the Stars' starry uniform design and recolored it accordingly. The pants have also changed to the one from my alternate uniform concept.

LLUI1tH.png

h7cNmny.png

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:13 AM, BuckDancer said:

The caps jerseys are just kind of boring. To me the most interesting part is the eagle shoulder patch, but it looks out of place on a generally static looking jersey. 

Though I said before that I'm satisfied with my home and road uniform concepts for the Caps, I thought to myself, "what if I apply the design from my alternate uniform?" Well, here ya' go.

Side note: the red jersey is now paired with a navy blue helmet instead of a red one.

ZI3bRUQ.png

shGtSiS.png

• Like 7

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Updates to Stars and Capitals

I wanted to revise my Reverse Retro concept for the Maple Leafs, so I went with the Mats Sundin-era uniform design (with block numbers instead of the same font for the NOB) and recolored in green and cream (still a tribute to the St. Pats). Let me know which is better, the first one or this one.

h7Rn21C.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Updates to Stars, Caps, and Leafs

ANNOUNCEMENT:

First of all, thanks to everyone who engaged in this series, may it be via emoji reactions or comments.

After doing all 32 current teams, I'm about to close out this series. But a thought came to my mind: what if I'll create concepts for defunct/former NHL teams? And so, I thought I should give it a shot. So yes, this series is not yet over!

In fact, I already created my concept uniforms for the Thrashers and the Nordiques, and I'll post them in the coming days. So, stay tuned, everybody!

Also, let me know which team should I do next.

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - ANNOUNCEMENT

ATLANTA THRASHERS

TBH, I actually liked the Thrashers' overall identity, from the logos to the uniforms—except for the asymmetrical design. This time, I'm giving these a fresh, new look that doesn't stray away that much from the originals. My design for the home and road jerseys are a mashup of the team's primary jersey designs over the years.

The alternate jersey is a combination of their final alternate jersey and the concept made by @StevenGrant94 in his "What If?" series.

Finally, the Reverse Retro that I conceptualized is an ice blue version of the team's original white jersey. You might have observed that there's no asymmetrical design among my jerseys, and that's because it's the only design that I dislike. Yeah, it's unique, but I'm not a fan of that.

y4asRdj.png

Ncq7PTj.png

JGR83US.png

VCUcNHx.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated alternate uniform's socks
  • Like 7

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - A THRASHing Return

QUEBEC NORDIQUES

Back in 1995, the Northmen avoided a redesign that screams 90's and won't be a fan-favorite at the time. However, it's at the expense of becoming the Colorado Avalanche. In this series, I retained the Nordiques' classic blue-and-red scheme, but completely reinvented the uniforms. The overall design is a mashup of the failed redesigned jerseys and their uniforms from 1972 to 1975. While their long-time jersey design is an instant classic, I'm not considering myself a fan of it.

I get to be more playful with the alternate uniform, and what I came up with is something that might garner mixed reactions. Everything that's red is replaced with black (shoutout once again to @StevenGrant94 for the inspiration), and the white striping is based from Quebec City's flag (also a basis for the Quebec Remparts' jerseys).

Finally, we have the Reverse Retro, which is just the aforementioned failed redesigned uniform, but in the classic blue-and-red scheme with black added for good measure. Yeah, even the husky logo is included.

QDhL5Ab.png

xNjwXKi.png

TBYB9bE.png

6y2yIn0.png

• Like 7

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Northmen of Quebec City
On 1/23/2023 at 5:25 AM, edjb93 said:

Back in 1995, the Northmen avoided a redesign that screams 90's and won't be a fan-favorite at the time. However, it's at the expense of becoming the Colorado Avalanche.

Aw, you say that like it's a bad thing :D 

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, Discrim said:

Aw, you say that like it's a bad thing :D 

Naw, this is what it's supposed to be meant: I just thought that there would have been a fan backlash with the Nordiques redesign in the 90's, but I also thought that fans in Quebec City are still not happy with the relocation to Denver. Therefore, they were at the losing end in either way, and I wish that Quebec City will have their own full-time NHL team in the future because they deserve one, especially the city now has a NHL-quality arena that was opened 20 years since the relocation. But yeah, thanks for pointing that out, I'll be careful at proving a certain point.

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Hampton Roads Rhinos. It was an absolute travesty that this masterpiece never saw the ice.

I'll admit, I'm surprised with this choice, but I'll try to give justice to the Rhinos.

On 2023-01-25 at 6:05 AM, edjb93 said:

I'll admit, I'm surprised with this choice, but I'll try to give justice to the Rhinos.

Thanks. I just love violet/purple and teal as a colour combination and while I understand why Hampton Roads doesn't have a team in the majors (spread out with no real dominant centre and crisscrossed with bodies of water, transient population with the military and tourism being two major employers in the area) and why the NHL decided not to pull the trigger, I do wonder what might have been and would have loved to see the purple and teal jerseys in the league with (to me at least) that so bad its good logo.

• Like 1

MINNESOTA NORTH STARS

Based on my observation, many hockey fans are still nostalgic over the North Stars. To @BuckDancer, the North Stars fans, and all Minnesota hockey fans, this one's for you. Personally, I don't think I'm a fan of the N-star logo, so I decided to modernize it and add supporting logos: the modern N-star logo on a roundel, the MN monogram, and the state map logo with the MN monogram and a star where St. Paul, Minnesota is located.

oozhltQ.png

For the first two jerseys, I kept a simple design where I combined the uniforms from the latter half of the 70's and the 80's. Only the white jersey has the contrasting yoke treatment.

The alternate jersey was inspired by the first proposed black jersey that features a green-yellow-white gradient. The gradient has a chevron shape pointing up, which is a play on the North Stars moniker.

The Reverse Retro is an all-black version of their 80's green jerseys. For this, I picked the 1988-1991 black pants to be paired with the RR jersey.

bOqNl4Q.png

6uKHe7j.png

JJmb21Y.png

OzGxTeC.png

Edited by edjb93
Modified interlocking MN logo
  • Like 11

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Home of the North Star

HARTFORD WHALERS

Even if I already did a Whalers-inspired Reverse Retro for the Hurricanes, I still would like to take a shot at making a separate concept set. The home and road uniforms are a mix-up of the team's long-time green-heavy NHL uniforms and the ones from their final years—without any trace of silver. I used a recolored version of their 1992-1997 logo as the primary logo/front crest to even out the color distribution of the jerseys.

I can tell that the alternate I made looks similar to my Islanders alt, but it contains an homage to the team's WHA uniforms, specifically the 1974-1977 uniforms.

Speaking of which, that's also the inspiration of my Reverse Retro concept: a yellow version of the jerseys from that period.

Li2i8Jk.png

N0hoT1E.png

SbqK3DQ.png

eTY3jU2.png

• Like 7