NHL Uniform Concepts - FINAL WORDS

edjb93

FLORIDA PANTHERS

How about a two-for-one deal on Thanksgiving weekend? @johne9109 made this request, so I gave the Panthers' uniforms a shot. First of all, gold is out, yellow is in, and it's prevalent on the first three uniforms. Second, I changed the designation of their logos, thus the leaping panther becomes the primary, while the shield becomes the secondary. The home and road uniforms are basically a redefined version of their long-time, original design, still with the current number font being used. I'm happy with the results, plus these two give nostalgia towards the team's Stanley Cup run in 1996.

The Panthers' 2009-2012 alternate comes back to life, but not as a Reverse Retro uniform. This version uses the same colors as the first two uniforms, and I gotta say, this looks way better than the real-life version. I utilized the shield logo as the front crest, and I used the team's vintage block font for the numbers.

Don't be so shocked if the Reverse Retro is too similar to the home and road uniforms I made, but it's the original jersey, just recolored in yellow. Navy blue becomes the number and NOB color for improved readability (I tried using red, but it might not be readable from afar).

E75vg5f.png

RAEnwPv.png

pMMl1O6.png

sdKRjFp.png

• Like 6

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - 2-for-1 Deal: The State of Hockey and the Leaping Panther
5 hours ago, edjb93 said:

FLORIDA PANTHERS

How about a two-for-one deal on Thanksgiving weekend? @johne9109 made this request, so I gave the Panthers' uniforms a shot. First of all, gold is out, yellow is in, and it's prevalent on the first three uniforms. Second, I changed the designation of their logos, thus the leaping panther becomes the primary, while the shield becomes the secondary. The home and road uniforms are basically a redefined version of their long-time, original design, still with the current number font being used. I'm happy with the results, plus these two give nostalgia towards the team's Stanley Cup run in 1996.

The Panthers' 2009-2012 alternate comes back to life, but not as a Reverse Retro uniform. This version uses the same colors as the first two uniforms, and I gotta say, this looks way better than the real-life version. I utilized the shield logo as the front crest, and I used the team's vintage block font for the numbers.

Don't be so shocked if the Reverse Retro is too similar to the home and road uniforms I made, but it's the original jersey, just recolored in yellow. Navy blue becomes the number and NOB color for improved readability (I tried using red, but it might not be readable from afar).

E75vg5f.png

RAEnwPv.png

pMMl1O6.png

sdKRjFp.png

beautiful. The shield logo looks shockingly good in yellow. I was taken aback by the reverse retro, but it kinda works. 

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

ARIZONA COYOTES

This is one of @BuckDancer's requests. While the Kachina comeback is very welcoming, I have seen so many concepts that utilize this particular design, and I want mine to somehow stand out. So, I ditched the Kachina altogether and went with the design from the Coyotes' most recent brick red jersey—which can be found on the collar. @OhioSportsMan61 came up with several concepts which utilized that design, and those became my inspiration for what I made. Brick red is restored as the main color, and yes, I did reduce the colors in the palette, eliminating green and purple, as evidenced in the front crest.

The Coyotes have never incorporated Arizona's state flag on their uniforms, and since there are lots of Cardinals concept uniforms that did the exact thing (including mine several years ago), I decided to go for it. The main inspiration for the alternate was Arizona State's anthracite hockey jersey. As you can see below, I resurrected their modern logos before the full-time return of the Kachina, except for the howling coyote...

...which is on the shoulders of my Reverse Retro concept. I took their 2008-2014 black alternate jersey and made it sand. Now, why this one? First, their uniforms from 2003 up until 2015 are too basic. Second, around the period where this alternate was worn, the Coyotes won the Pacific Division. I also thought of utilizing their current uniforms and making it green, but that would be too recent.

6nNWeF4.png

0wG5RxD.png

HWhglbx.png

VyK3xxZ.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated home and road jersey's front crest
  • Like 6

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Better Days in the Desert

SAN JOSE SHARKS

While the redesign of the uniforms is good, I might not consider myself a fan of teal helmets and pants. Whenever I think of the Sharks' duds, I think of black helmets and pants, and teal/white/black jerseys and socks. The home and road uniforms are my re-imagination of their new set. I could not find the exact number font, so I created my own.

The alternate jersey takes some cues from the team's 1998-2007 set. All those curves are meant to represent both a shark's fin and the bodies of water found in the Bay Area.

Initially, I thought of having another California Golden Seals tribute for my Reverse Retro, which is a teal-and-yellow version of the Seals' white jersey during the green-and-blue days. But then I thought that would be redundant since the Sharks already did it in 2022. And so, I went with a color that has never been worn by the Sharks but already had with their AHL affiliate team: orange. I used their inaugural uniforms as the base design, made the jerseys and socks orange, and made the helmet and pants teal (essentially breaking my promise earlier but it looks great anyway), to look less like the Flyers or the Ducks.

IZDkRcZ.png

gJGxKs4.png

qfiwHv8.png

DTxP3PL.png

• Like 3

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Welcome to the Shark Tank

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

I know for a fact that there are numerous Blue Jackets uniform concepts that utilize the red and white stripes from the flag of Ohio, and I'm joining that trend (of course, with my own touches). On the home and road jerseys, three stars are arranged vertically below the red and white stripes on the sleeves. These stars were taken from the team's first alternate jersey—yeah, the one with the black yoke. I also retained the different colors of pants for these two jerseys, since, in my opinion, navy pants look better with white jerseys than red pants.

For the alternate jersey, I basically went with a stripped-down design, making the chevron stripes from the uniforms worn during the Civil War the primary design element.

Since the Blue Jackets have already thrown back to ALL of their uniform designs in team history, I went with something that's way, way back for the Reverse Retro. As a tribute to NHL's presence in Ohio, I went for a Cleveland Barons fauxback. The team's first logo is the jersey's front crest, but removed silver and electric green from it, to achieve an old-school, simplistic feel. However, the biggest draw from this jersey are the sleeve numbers encased in the state map of Ohio. It's a great reminder that professional hockey already got its mark in Ohio before the Blue Jackets did.

og09XlS.png

EUTOkIc.png

EHqgf0T.png

GalFRvG.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - We Fight, We March
1 hour ago, edjb93 said:

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

I know for a fact that there are numerous Blue Jackets uniform concepts that utilize the red and white stripes from the flag of Ohio, and I'm joining that trend (of course, with my own touches). On the home and road jerseys, three stars are arranged vertically below the red and white stripes on the sleeves. These stars were taken from the team's first alternate jersey—yeah, the one with the black yoke. I also retained the different colors of pants for these two jerseys, since, in my opinion, navy pants look better with white jerseys than red pants.

For the alternate jersey, I basically went with a stripped-down design, making the chevron stripes from the uniforms worn during the Civil War the primary design element.

Since the Blue Jackets have already thrown back to ALL of their uniform designs in team history, I went with something that's way, way back for the Reverse Retro. As a tribute to NHL's presence in Ohio, I went for a Cleveland Barons fauxback. The team's first logo is the jersey's front crest, but removed silver and electric green from it, to achieve an old-school, simplistic feel. However, the biggest draw from this jersey are the sleeve numbers encased in the state map of Ohio. It's a great reminder that professional hockey already got its mark in Ohio before the Blue Jackets did.

og09XlS.png

EUTOkIc.png

EHqgf0T.png

GalFRvG.png

I feel like horizontal stripes with the vertical stars clash; I would go with one direction or the other. The alternate looks amazing The diagonal stripes are a great addition. The feauxback is a really cool idea and I'm surprised the Blue Jackets haven't done anything to tie back to Barons with either Reverse Retro series. 

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Sure, the Penguins' current look is iconic, but I wonder if we merge the designs from all three jerseys? The probable result would be my take on the home and road uniforms. The diagonal striping from their current alternate jersey makes its way to the sleeves, while retaining the gold portion on the top. Most of all, the hem striping gets a consistent look with the one on the sleeves, which, TBH, was my problem with the current home and road jerseys.

Gold returns an an alternate jersey base color, with an interesting take on the diagonal text logo. I used their current, modern wordmark, and made it diagonal. Like the first Reverse Retro jersey and the current alternate, the triangle-less penguin flanks the shoulders.

Finally, what if the Penguins opted to remain a double blue team? The answer lies on my Reverse Retro concept. It's basically their current uniform design, but with a light blue base and navy blue sleeves, pants, and helmet. For the front crest, I recolored their inaugural logo to remove any trace of black and gold on it.

YZmc4M8.png

18Cw99r.png

pC7hQqm.png

kLVm1zM.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated Reverse Retro number font
  • Like 9

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Skating Penguin
1 hour ago, edjb93 said:

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Sure, the Penguins' current look is iconic, but I wonder if we merge the designs from all three jerseys? The probable result would be my take on the home and road uniforms. The diagonal striping from their current alternate jersey makes its way to the sleeves, while retaining the gold portion on the top. Most of all, the hem striping gets a consistent look with the one on the sleeves, which, TBH, was my problem with the current home and road jerseys.

Gold returns an an alternate jersey base color, with an interesting take on the diagonal text logo. I used their current, modern wordmark, and made it diagonal. Like the first Reverse Retro jersey and the current alternate, the triangle-less penguin flanks the shoulders.

Finally, what if the Penguins opted to remain a double blue team? The answer lies on my Reverse Retro concept. It's basically their current uniform design, but with a light blue base and navy blue sleeves, pants, and helmet. For the front crest, I recolored their inaugural logo to remove any trace of black and gold on it.

YZmc4M8.png

18Cw99r.png

pC7hQqm.png

QA9zoZw.png

I love diagonal striping for the Pens; everything they can do to differentiate themselves from Boston is a plus in my book. I personally don't like wordmark jerseys and would've preferred to see the robopenguin and maybe keeping the shoulders and sleeves closer to what is seen in the home and away as far as style and pattern; something about this jersey seems a little to close to Bruins jerseys, but maybe that's just how my brain is programmed to think. Throwback is great

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

On 11/28/2022 at 11:37 AM, BuckDancer said:

Would have loved to have seen your take of their current reverse retro jerseys but in red/sand/black.

Wish granted! While I removed any trace of purple in this, I retained the green for the cacti. Also, I made a fix to the inaccurate detail that the Coyotes Reverse Retro have displayed. Just look at the sleeves to find out.

Y36TUZ0.png

Edited by edjb93
Removed outer sand outline on front crest logo
  • Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Desert Scape Reverse Retro, Volume 3
On 12/4/2022 at 11:46 PM, johne9109 said:

I feel like horizontal stripes with the vertical stars clash; I would go with one direction or the other.

Aside from the stars' arrangement, I also lowered the striping on the sleeves, so that the TV numbers won't feel too cramped up.

rKudq76.png

o8LdinY.png

• Like 6

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Blue Jackets Update

ANAHEIM DUCKS

The MIGHTY Ducks are back... sort of. The nostalgia of this moniker is running wild (no pun intended), so I decided to make the Wildwing logo the primary again, while retaining the current colors. If you think that the home and road jersey concepts that I made are too similar to the Ducks' Stanley Cup-winning uniform, you might be right. That's because I wanted to bring back the diagonal striping that the team had been known for. I initially wanted to make the striping predominantly black, but it might look too, too similar to the old one, so I went with a mostly orange striping colorway, just like in the 2022 Reverse Retro jersey.

While my alternate concept looks like the real thing, there are few differences: the hem striping—which satisfies my OCD tendencies, the black shoulder yoke, and the webbed "D" front crest.

With the unveiling of Adidas' rendition of the Mighty Ducks jersey from the 1992 film of the same name, I decided to make it the inspiration of my Reverse Retro concept. It's essentially that uniform but recolored in the jade and eggplant color scheme that the team is famous for.

01siAkK.png

ahNsCpG.png

nv7ahxG.png

UPxBoUS.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated Reverse Retro front crest colors
  • Like 7

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The MIGHTY Ducks
On 12/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, johne9109 said:

Love the recoloring on the Ducks RR jersey. I do wonder if there's a way to recolor the logo so that it fits with the branding you have here for the Ducks rather than the colors from the movie? Maybe in the orange, gold, and black?

I've recolored the front crest of the first Reverse Retro jersey, making the duck's jersey and socks jade. And now, here's my Mighty Ducks Reverse Retro concept in the current colors.

2OiKxRa.png

• Like 2

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Since many fans are saying that Adidas allegedly took away the iconic, classical design that the Devils had for many decades in favor of a Colorado Rockies tribute, I decided to rectify the "mistake" by adding matching tail stripes on both home and road jerseys.

When the team's "Jersey" jersey was unveiled, I immediately thought of the Blackhawks' old uniform. I wanted to stray away from that, but I also wanted to keep the black and white theming of the uniform while adding more red. I could not resist the "Jersey" script so I went with it, though it's in a different style.

The Reverse Retro is basically a green, red, and white version of the 1992-2017 jerseys, but reversed the colors on the NOB, numbers, and all of the striping. The biggest change can be found on the front crest, where I used the prototype logo that was created by the wife of then-owner John McMullen.

rKbAovc.png

QF8nVRD.png

uzqAn1t.png

zQaZVcb.png

• Like 6

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - New Jerseys for New Jersey
1 hour ago, edjb93 said:

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Since many fans are saying that Adidas allegedly took away the iconic, classical design that the Devils had for many decades in favor of a Colorado Rockies tribute, I decided to rectify the "mistake" by adding matching tail stripes on both home and road jerseys.

When the team's "Jersey" jersey was unveiled, I immediately thought of the Blackhawks' old uniform. I wanted to stray away from that, but I also wanted to keep the black and white theming of the uniform while adding more red. I could not resist the "Jersey" script so I went with it, though it's in a different style.

The Reverse Retro is basically a green, red, and white version of the 1992-2017 jerseys, but reversed the colors on the NOB, numbers, and all of the striping. The biggest change can be found on the front crest, where I used the prototype logo that was created by the wife of then-owner John McMullen.

rKbAovc.png

QF8nVRD.png

uzqAn1t.png

zQaZVcb.png

Great job fixing the home and away. Whoever takes over for adidas needs to do the same. The RR is great; very much in the same spirit of the Blues RR. If a similar program to RR ever happens in the NHL again the Devils need to do something like this. The alternate while a vast improvement over what they came out with is brought down by the Jersey wordmark. Id rather see soem sort of logo, but that's me. It's great for having the wordmark

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

OTTAWA SENATORS

If we're going to talk only about the home and road uniforms, I made only a few tweaks: the tail striping and the front crest. Yes, your eyes are not kidding, I made the modern side-facing centurion the new primary logo, while retaining the rest of the logo set.

The alternate gets a lil' playful with the application of the barber pole stripes from the jerseys of the original Senators. Keeping with the throwback theme, I made the 'O' logo (minus the stripes at the back) the front crest of this particular jersey.

This same barber pole stripe theme applies to my Reverse Retro concept, but I went with a sublimated palette since a full-color barber pole jersey might get insta-cancelled in today's standards. The base is the jersey worn by the original Sens in 1929-30 and 1932-34, while the front crest placement is based from the 1921-22 jersey. To further improve the vintage look of the entire uniform, I did not put any touch of white and in its place is the current gold. This same gold applies to the pants, as a finishing touch to the old-school vibe that this uniform gives.

PdaRC9x.png

rHjdxtQ.png

IVdXTYA.png

N0bsGDN.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Canadian Capital Centurions

I have only few teams left: Bolts, Caps, Kraken, Golden Knights, and Avs. This series might extend to next year because of the holidays.

While this series takes on a holiday break, I'd love to know what would you like to see on my concepts for these 5 remaining teams, and if there are concepts that need an update. I also would like to know what are your thoughts on what I've unveiled so far.

Until then, merry Christmas and happy holidays, y'all! 🎄 🕎 🎁