NHL Uniform Concepts - FINAL WORDS

edjb93

I like all of these. I like the subtlety of the four lines, i like the orange alt, the reverse retro is cool. i might suggest swapping the colors on the sock around so it's a primarily navy sock with the white and the bottom, and just swap the teal and orange around to match the rest of the stripes on the jersey.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, B-mer said:

I like all of these. I like the subtlety of the four lines, i like the orange alt, the reverse retro is cool. i might suggest swapping the colors on the sock around so it's a primarily navy sock with the white and the bottom, and just swap the teal and orange around to match the rest of the stripes on the jersey.

I have updated the sock pattern so that it becomes navy-teal-navy-orange-white, and then I made the numbers white outlined in orange, but I left the jersey striping as is.

ST. LOUIS BLUES

Yup, your eyes are not kidding. There are major changes for the Blues in this concept, starting with an even lighter shade of blue, which, according to @TruColor, is used on their Winter Classic uniforms in 2017 and 2022, and on their real-life 2022 Reverse Retro uniform. The next most significant change is found on both the home and road uniforms, which both feature a curved striping on the sleeves (a nod to the Gateway Arch, even if it's in a different orientation). As much as I would like to make the Blues uniforms lean on blue, yellow, and white, I did not like the outcome when I tested that plan. Therefore, I resorted to the navy blue-heavy theme on the home uniform and a light blue-heavy one on the road uniform, which lead us to different colors of pants, a first in this concept.

I brought back their navy blue alternates, but with some modifications such as straight striping on the sleeves and the white shoulder yoke.

The Reverse Retro that I chose is their 1985-1987 uniforms, recolored in yellow. It's significant because, for the first time, the Blues sported a color other than blue, yellow, or white.

b51HWTY.png

EJmLdhR.png

gE6xbYr.png

pCZOGtG.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Gateway

DETROIT RED WINGS

I know that the Red Wings have an untouchable look, even to the name on the back. I tried to eschew from that particular tradition, but I'll be anticipating some sort of backlash for it. Therefore, I left the home and road uniforms unchanged, save for the location of the tail striping (visible on the road white jersey).

If there's a uniform where I can experiment with designs that are impossible to be applied on a uniform that's as classical as those of the Red Wings, then it comes in the form of my alternate concept. Since the 2022 Reverse Retro uniform is the first uniform that featured black, I might as well go all-in with this color. I have seen some black uniform concepts on the internet, so I can say that I'm not alone. It's basically an all-black version of their 2016 Stadium Series uniform, but with some modifications on the sleeve stripes, not to mention the straight serif NOB (usually done during the preseason, TIL) instead of the traditional arched one.

Finally, we have the Reverse Retro, and out of all designs that the Red Wings have already used, there's only one that hasn't: that of the Detroit Falcons. This RR concept of mine brings this complicating design back to life, with an obvious name change, of course. I decided against putting yellow on any part of the uniform, and instead, I used the color palette from their 2014 Winter Classic uniform. And since the original Falcons uniform had a white jersey and red pants, I reversed the order of the colors, so that it features a red jersey and cream pants.

eDz84EU.png

ftJLXaU.png

S82Eggb.png

kMxdxob.png

• Like 3

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - A Hockeytown Classic Remains

CALGARY FLAMES

As much as I applaud the Flames for going with the throwbacks as their full-time look since 2021, I miss the times that the team had black on their uniforms. But I also get the sentiment of emphasizing red and yellow, as well as the nostalgia that the current uniforms have (the team won a Stanley Cup with those). Therefore, I came up with a home and road uniform design that is going to be a middle ground between those two thoughts. The overall design is a combination of the tail and sleeve design from the Blasty uniforms and shoulder yoke design from their 2013-2016 alternate jersey. On the red jersey, white is emphasized as the primary accent color instead of black, while on the white jersey is vice-versa. Take note that I used a new font for these two jerseys.

The alternate is basically the Flames' first Reverse Retro uniforms, but with new NOB and number fonts, and no striping on the pants.

I've always wanted to use their 2011 Heritage Classic uniform (inspired by Calgary Tigers) as my choice for the Reverse Retro uniform, and so, I made a red and black version of it, with the logo from the 2013-2016 alternate on the front.

Fvf11l3.png

4dZWaBr.png

iCIoYU4.png

6TQUSLc.png

• Love 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The C of Red

BOSTON BRUINS

Another Original Six team gets a refinement of uniforms, as both the home and road jerseys feature the same shoulder yoke color and striping pattern on the sleeves (road jersey still has black sleeve ends) and the hem. Unlike on the current iteration of uniforms, the shoulder yoke is now straight. And, as the cherry on top, the black jersey is now paired with yellow socks once again.

The yellow alternate jersey is inspired by the team's previous yellow jerseys from the 50's and the 60's. When taken a closer look, the striping pattern resembles those of another black-and-yellow team, Pittsburgh Steelers. The yellow socks paired with this particular jersey is different from the one paired with the black jersey.

Finally, my take on the Reverse Retro uniform takes us back to the 1920's, the decade when the team started. In particular, I picked the uniforms worn from 1926 to 1932 (also became the inspiration for the 2019 Winter Classic uniform), but this time, in a brown base color.

lNsGxA4.png

15MrZVI.png

rWlI4u0.png

9Bjdt5j.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The First Black-and-Gold Team
  • 2 weeks later...

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

I thought it's time to move on from the Orca and embrace the Stick-in-Rink full time once again. I recolored the 2019 Stick-in-Rink logo and made it the Canucks' new primary logo, with the Johnny Canuck logos serving as alternates.

The home and road uniforms were based from the team's Reebok Edge alternate uniform from 2008 to 2017. Aside from the logos, the biggest change comes from the choice of number font, where I used the number font from the Minnesota Vikings (without the additional designs on the right).

The alternate jersey was inspired by the team's inaugural uniforms, but with a slight modification on the treatment of "V" on the sleeve stripes. I made the jersey green, since they never had one, and the full-body Johnny Canuck logo is front and center, just like on their AHL affiliate in Abbotsford.

Finally, we have the Reverse Retro, and finally, one of the wildest jersey designs in the history is back! Specifically, I picked the final iteration of that design, which is the 1982-1985 version, where the TV number and the logo are together in one spot on the sleeve. This time, though, it's in the current blue-and-green color scheme.

4vqIu70.png

gBAzdc9.png

ccO1tH1.png

Ll2Y1jE.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Return of the Stick-in-Rink
10 hours ago, edjb93 said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

I thought it's time to move on from the Orca and embrace the Stick-in-Rink full time once again. I recolored the 2019 Stick-in-Rink logo and made it the Canucks' new primary logo, with the Johnny Canuck logos serving as alternates.

The home and road uniforms were based from the team's Reebok Edge alternate uniform from 2008 to 2017. Aside from the logos, the biggest change comes from the choice of number font, where I used the number font from the Minnesota Vikings (without the additional designs on the right).

The alternate jersey was inspired by the team's inaugural uniforms, but with a slight modification on the treatment of "V" on the sleeve stripes. I made the jersey green, since they never had one, and the full-body Johnny Canuck logo is front and center, just like on their AHL affiliate in Abbotsford.

Finally, we have the Reverse Retro, and finally, one of the wildest jersey designs in the history is back! Specifically, I picked the final iteration of that design, which is the 1982-1985 version, where the TV number and the logo are together in one spot on the sleeve. This time, though, it's in the current blue-and-green color scheme.

4vqIu70.png

gBAzdc9.png

ccO1tH1.png

Ll2Y1jE.png

This is what the Canucks should be wearing. I personally prefer Johnny Canuck as the primary logo but I can't see Vancouver using that full time so the stick in the rink is absolutely the way to go. 

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

I know that the Blackhawks' logo has been a subject of controversy, so I'll change it in a future concept. But for now, the logo is staying put. The home and road jerseys remain the same, although there's a minor change on the red jersey: the return of 5 stripes on the sleeves. Aside from this, I changed the collar for these jerseys from v-neck to tie-down.

I brought back the black jersey from 1996 as the team's full-time alternate, since I'm a fan of it. The only change that was made is the elimination of red sleeve ends.

The Reverse Retro uniform for this team is an all-tan version of their uniform from 1935 to 1937 (served as an inspiration for their 2009 Winter Classic uniforms). Only the helmet and the gloves did not get the tan treatment. In a foreshadowing move, instead of the Native American head logo, I used the Tomahawk-C logo as the front crest of this jersey.

b1n8dGc.png

r066A5f.png

elPF46R.png

tvT0Z0F.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Here Come the Hawks (V2 Coming Soon)

Here's an alternate version of my Blackhawks concept. Since sports teams are now steering away from Native American imagery, I went with the literal meaning of the nickname: a black hawk. Plus, they already have Tommy Hawk, so it's no surprise that I leaned towards a black hawk's head as the primary logo. Hockey fans might be familiar with its basis, as it's a black hawk version of the current Portland Winterhawks logo that contains references from the current logo and Tommy Hawk.

The alternate logo is a C with the star from the city flag of Chicago and an additional green stripe to make it look like the city logo when it is put beside the star. It comes in two versions: one with a red star (for white and black background) and another with a white star (for red background).

rvfIzzz.png

The home, road, and alternate uniforms remain the same, but I decided to modernize things a little bit with the numbers.

9TV6sZT.png

DwIgf0d.png

jLYmjMV.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Here Come the Hawks (V2 Already Up)

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

While the current uniforms look good, I'm really a sucker for uniformity on the jerseys. So, on the home and the road jerseys, I updated the hem striping back to the way it was before the current design.

The alternate uniform is where things get wacky. As a tribute to the current black uniform, I did the same thing to my alternate uniform concept. The design basis was the Leafs' uniforms from the 70's up to the early 90's. I adjusted the location of the hem striping to the end. I went with the current logo instead of the logo from that era, then I went with the wordmark-less maple leaf logo as the shoulder logo.

For few years already, the Leafs have frequently thrown back to their St. Pats days, but with the exception of 1927, they never had a touch of green on any of their uniforms using their current name. That all changes with my Reverse Retro concept: a straight-up all-green version of their 1967-1970 uniforms. I know it's just a simple color switch, but it's a subtle mashup of two monikers that this franchise has used.

qhoOj5f.png

ejalZd3.png

kmEI5Pf.png

PE1nGWQ.png

• Like 2

I already have my concept for "The State of Hockey" to be released but let me know what your thoughts are so far. In particular:

• Which Blackhawks concept do you prefer: the original or the update?
  • Among the ones I already unveiled, which concept should I tweak/update?
  • Which team do you want next?

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - One of Canada's National Symbols
9 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I already have my concept for "The State of Hockey" to be released but let me know what your thoughts are so far. In particular:

• Which Blackhawks concept do you prefer: the original or the update?
  • Among the ones I already unveiled, which concept should I tweak/update?
  • Which team do you want next?

I prefer the original Blackhawks; It's not offensive and is actually beloved by my native Americans.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Panthers

• Like 2
  • Love 1

ZUH86xc.png

A few thoughts:

Blackhawks - The updated logo doesn't really mesh with the jersey design, so keeping the old one is the best decision here (also love the five stripes)

Islanders - The backside of those throwbacks has never been done cleanly before in a concept to my knowledge, so I was quite pleasantly surprised when I saw yours

Canucks - The tweaks on stick-in-the-rink logo are very nice, love how you incorporated more green

Blues - The lighter blue is surprisingly amazing.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, BuckDancer said:

The flames could use a tweak. I'm not sure about all that white on the home, maybe drop the yoke.

On my original concept, I went with that yoke to be different from what the Flames wore in the 2000's. Anyway, here's the updated version, and the white jersey here REALLY looks like the one from that era, save for the fonts, the logos, and the collar treatment. But I'll say this, the white jersey looks way better with red pants.

SJIx9ZO.png

P1kBLH2.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Flames Update

MINNESOTA WILD

How I wish that "The State of Hockey" will go back to their original uniforms, so I took the matters in my own hands and do that exact thing, but with minor changes, of course. I tweaked the sleeve yoke so that it follows the same pattern as the right side of the logo, and I updated the striping on the socks for consistency with the jersey design. See the shoulder logo? That came from the front crest of their 2022 Winter Classic jerseys, and I feel that the state map logo also looks good on its own.

The red alternate jersey is a modified version of their current uniforms, with some touches inspired by their final Reebok Edge set.

Finally, since the Wild embraces the North Stars identity more than the Dallas Stars, I went with a mashup, taking the Wild's original red jersey, and recolored the whole uniform in green, yellow, and white, with yellow becoming the base jersey color, since the North Stars never had a yellow jersey during its existence.

nGtiVcd.png

5bveUJ6.png

DurT13z.png

zZyEszu.png

• Like 4