NBA Brand Refresh: Seattle Supersonics (6/?)

loholt

10 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The 90's AF purple and blue colour combination looks great. I would like to see a concept using those colours and Blizzard, since you have the Trail Blazers in the same division and Utah Blizzard rolls off the tongue nicer than either Pioneers or Voyagers.

Didn't do the full 3D Mocks for it but here's the general idea. Originally my only worry with this color scheme is you're getting a little close to the Hornets but they both had it in the 90's and it worked out just fine. I had a friend suggest Utah Yeti to me as well which rolls off the tongue nice and you could do with these same color schemes. 

rQcrzBM.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Alright after a little hiatus we're back and we're bringing the Jazz back to their rightful home of New Orleans. Kept it pretty simple mostly going back to versions of the original logo and color scheme but then again it is New Orleans so I got a little wacky with some of the jerseys. spacer.pngspacer.pngnola%20mock%201.png

nola%20mock%202.png

nola%20mock%203.png

A7yTGMc.png

• Like 2

• loholt changed the title to NBA Brand Refresh: New Orleans Jazz (5/?)
On 10/31/2022 at 3:39 PM, loholt said:

Alright I'm back with another NBA brand refresh and this time I'm heading west to Utah. We're taking the nonsensical Jazz name out of Salt Lake City (and eventually returning it to New Orleans where it belongs) and going with the Utah Pioneers at the suggestion of a few users on this thread. The Jazz has always been a goofy name for Utah and right now when they are transitioning to a rebuilding period would be a great time to embrace something new and fresh. 

In my opinion the Jazz peaked culturally and successfully during the Stockton-Malone era of the 90’s so I’m throwing it back to that look with plenty of purple and white and an emphasis on the mountains for the logos. To incorporate the Pioneer theme a bit I’ve added a goldish color that is also pretty close to an alternate color they used in the popular 90’s logo. I know the Lakers technically are a purple and gold as well but with slightly different purple and a way different "gold" (there's is obviously just yellow) I felt like it was different enough. 

Jersey-wise the home and away are basically modernizations of those 90’s jerseys and then I added a gold one for the statement jersey to embrace the Pioneer mascot a little bit more. Certainly could argue that the Pioneer mascot could come through a little more but any logo involving a pioneer or covered wagon or anything looked hokey to me. The nice thing about this brand refresh is they can keep the bear mascot they currently have as well.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So many questions I have as a fan of the Utah NBA team. First, why Pioneers as the team name? Second, is there a version to where I may be able to see the full uniform (jersey+shorts), logos & colors)? Third, the domain name Pioneers.com is already taken, but the domain name UtahPioneers.com is not & is available. Perhaps tweak the court design to incorporate it? Fourth, how were the colors chosen? I get purple, but why metallic gold? Also, the arena name changes back to Delta Center on July 1, 2023.

13 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

So many questions I have as a fan of the Utah NBA team. First, why Pioneers as the team name? Second, is there a version to where I may be able to see the full uniform (jersey+shorts), logos & colors)? Third, the domain name Pioneers.com is already taken, but the domain name UtahPioneers.com is not & is available. Perhaps tweak the court design to incorporate it? Fourth, how were the colors chosen? I get purple, but why metallic gold? Also, the arena name changes back to Delta Center on July 1, 2023.

Pioneers seemed to go with the mountains and the history of the area and was suggested by someone on here. I've made some mockups of Utah Yeti and Utah Blizzard as well which are above on this post. With Yeti and Blizzard I go back to a little bit more of the purple. To see the full Yeti concept I have it up on loholt.com/utah right now. Good call on the website and the arena name, I didn't know they were changing it back to the Delta Center. 

Here we go with another NBA brand refresh! This time the soon to be back Seattle Supersonics at the suggestion of @mistere79.

It's time for the Sonics to come back with a fresh brand that pays homage to the nostalgic and iconic looks of the past. The new primary logo ties in pieces from the original jetsetter logo of the 1960's, the iconic big lettered logo of the 90's, and the bright colors of the short lived modern Sonics that drafted Kevin Durant. Alternate logos range from modernizations of past logos to fully original custom marks. Jerseys are kept fairly simple as to honor the past and let the city of Seattle put their name back on the chest of an NBA jersey for the first time in nearly 20 years. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Seattle%20Jerseys%20together.png3%20jerseys%20together%20for%20gram.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• loholt changed the title to NBA Brand Refresh: Seattle Supersonics (6/?)

This is fantastic, and would fit in perfectly to the modern NBA. I really like how you took aspects of each logo and combined them to make one identifiable yet classic looking logo. The logo package is very cohesive and offers quality alternates to work with.

My only suggestions would be to clean up the yellow lines of the basketball when it's behind the text. I think it looks a little muddy when the yellow touches (behind the E in particular). Other minor edits would be to make the arch on the jersey a little taller, since it seems kinda flat at the moment. I'd also use green numbers on the white jersey to create contrast, and add white on the inner-outlines of the other two jerseys' numbers.

Outside of minor changes, this logo/uniform set is really good and does a great job of playing into the "retro" identity that the team has garnered since leaving the city.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

This is fantastic, and would fit in perfectly to the modern NBA. I really like how you took aspects of each logo and combined them to make one identifiable yet classic looking logo. The logo package is very cohesive and offers quality alternates to work with.

My only suggestions would be to clean up the yellow lines of the basketball when it's behind the text. I think it looks a little muddy when the yellow touches (behind the E in particular). Other minor edits would be to make the arch on the jersey a little taller, since it seems kinda flat at the moment. I'd also use green numbers on the white jersey to create contrast, and add white on the inner-outlines of the other two jerseys' numbers.

Outside of minor changes, this logo/uniform set is really good and does a great job of playing into the "retro" identity that the team has garnered since leaving the city.

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. You were spot on with the logo edits and jersey changes. I like how all of them turned out a lot more after some tweaks. 

Seattle%20Jerseys%20together.pngAll%20mocks%20together%20seattle.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sonics look really good. Only thing that I would change is the Seattle in the main logo, it looks odd how it follows the curve of the Supersonics lettering until it gets to the second T and starts to dive, making it straight or following the Supersonics lettering.

• Like 1