2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (32/32: Uruguay)

freshprinceofmtl

Hello all,

this is my first time posting on here but will not be my last. After catching the design bug from lurking the forum for years I have finally gotten the courage to post some concepts. My first project is creating my own concepts for the 32 teams participating in this years World Cup. I tried to challenge myself by keeping the designs relatively in line with each nations historical looks (barely messing with Brazil's home for example) while still making unique kits for each. Since it is my first project here comments, tips and recommendations are very much appreciated!

To get things started here's a little preview of the four Group A teams that I'll be posting first!

spacer.png

And here we go!

First off we have Ecuador, the only club outfitted by their very own Marathon Sports. With their recent rebrand they have darkened their tone of yellows and blue while limiting the red. The home kit is inspired by an animal with an important place in Ecuadorian's hearts: the mighty Galapagos Tortoise. While it may be slow, it can certainly outlast the competition. The shell pattern can be seen sublimated on the yellow home kit with many dark navy accents and striping from their flag seen throughout. The away kit is a cleaner white look taking more inspiration from the national flag.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Next up we have Netherlands, one of a few national teams who use a colour inspired by something other than their flag.

I used heavy inspiration from the beautiful and unique geography found across the Netherlands for both kits. The home uses a lighter blue than the royal or navy used in recent editions, but light blue has been used in the past. The swooping stripes on the arms and shorts are meant to evoke the winding rivers and canals around the country, while the subtle striping that fades away comes from the rectangular fields of tulips lining those very rivers. On the topic of tulips, the abstract away kit is meant to depict an overhead view of those famous tulip fields that brighten up the dutch countryside in a colourful mosaic of shapes.

spacer.png

Let me know what you think! Tomorrow I'll be posting the host nation.

• Like 6

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (2/32: Netherlands)

Today we have the host country Qatar. With lots of controversy around the nation and with them trying to put on their best face I went with a fairly simple look similar to those of years past but with a little extra flair. The home is clearly inspired by their flag, I think the zig zag pattern is a very cool feature of their flag that feels unique (sorry Bahrain) to them, while also looking striking on a kit. The away features a similar zig zag pattern with a twist. The rounded peaks are meant to look like sails on the Persian Gulf, with a boat known as the Dhow being found on their national crest due to its importance in the building of the nation's wealth from the pearling industry.

spacer.png

Thanks for your comments so far, tomorrow I'll finish Group A with a colourful Senegal concept. Then look out for Group B to start Monday!

• Like 3

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (3/32: Qatar)

Rounding out a very vibrant Group A is Senegal. The Lions of Teranga have never been ones to shy away from bold designs so I pushed the creativity on their home look while still maintaining their team colours. The triangular collar pattern is inspired by a lion's mane, the team's namesake. If you think the away kit looks retro you are correct, it is an homage to the bright 2002 kits worn by Senegal in their debut tournament where they shocked the world making it all the way to the Quarter Finals!

spacer.png

I'll be taking the weekend off but returning Monday with the start of Group B, stay tuned...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (4/32: Senegal)

While group A was full of colour, Group B may feel a little redundant. I hope you like red and white because you're about to see a lot of it. Here's my preview of the next four teams to be posted this week beginning with England today:

qqo4Tz6.jpg

Despite their rich history, the Three Lions are looking to end an over 50 year trophy drought at this World Cup. For England I made sure not to mess with tradition by going with a simple all white home kit. The simplicity of both kits are meant to honour the past with nods to famous jerseys of years past, including their famous 1966 victory, as well as the bold shoulder striping of the 1980 kit and sublimated graphics from the 90s. Roses from their crest are also found lining the home shorts  to give them another unique detail on an otherwise subtle look. Could this be the jersey to finally end England's curse? (probably not...)spacer.png

As always any comments are greatly appreciated!

• Like 4

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (5/32: England)

The following nation is Iran, produced by a local brand much like Ecuador. With this being Merooj's first World Cup supplying Iran with kits I had no past to base my concept off of so I imagined them trying out some bold designs with heavy local flavour. The home kit is clearly based on the national flag, with the Kufic script being used as a form of striping along the shoulders, sleeves and socks along with a large sublimation of the national emblem. In my alternate universe of soccer design there is hopefully no political backlash for the usage of ancient Persian symbols, allowing me to use a sun motif on the away kit... 

spacer.png

• Like 2

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (6/32: Iran)

Today we have a Group B team with a bit of an identity crisis as of late. For me the all white home kits with minimal accents they've used lately don't feel American enough to me and often look like England rip offs. My personal favourite looks for the USMNT, and I think a lot of fans would agree with me, are those with bolder designs utilizing navy or red, wether it was sash designs or the horizontal Waldo stripes. With the emergence of Team Canada's program I wanted to lean more into the navy than the red to give the US a distinct look in the CONCACAF region. So here we have the Stars (away) & Stripes (home) collection. The home is a super hero inspired look with a bold navy block on the chest and subtle stripes. While the away kit features a sublimated star pattern and white sleeves, a look that I think suits them well and should maintain in the future.

o136Hjm.jpg

As always, comments would be greatly appreciated it is getting a little lonely in this thread!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (7/32: USA)

Ecuador- this looks awesome. I love the pattern on the home, and great use of the flag on the away.

Netherlands- The home shorts are odd to me- they feel very 2000s and don't compliment the rest of the design all that well imo.

Qatar- great. Away kit is a little odd but still great.

Senegal- also great. Love the home, and the away is also cool.

England- looks good with the sublimated lions, but the shoulder stripes on the away just aren't doing it for me. They look a little out of place.

Iran- it's your concept, not mine, but how would it look if you went vertical with the stripe instead of only up by the shoulders? Away is fantastic though.

USA- it's fine, as far as USA soccer designs go. I think the stars pattern is a little corny but could work. And the home still works, but it may work better with the USA crest in the center of the chest.

tinysig.jpg

26 minutes ago, Jake3roo said:

Ecuador- this looks awesome. I love the pattern on the home, and great use of the flag on the away.

Netherlands- The home shorts are odd to me- they feel very 2000s and don't compliment the rest of the design all that well imo.

Qatar- great. Away kit is a little odd but still great.

Senegal- also great. Love the home, and the away is also cool.

England- looks good with the sublimated lions, but the shoulder stripes on the away just aren't doing it for me. They look a little out of place.

Iran- it's your concept, not mine, but how would it look if you went vertical with the stripe instead of only up by the shoulders? Away is fantastic though.

USA- it's fine, as far as USA soccer designs go. I think the stars pattern is a little corny but could work. And the home still works, but it may work better with the USA crest in the center of the chest.

Thanks so much for the comments, I'm going to do a little re-do of some of the ones that I get feedback on and I think I want to take another crack at Iran home for sure.

• Like 1

I'd remove the watermarks from the England kits, they were from a time period when the team was awful and the kits would both look a lot cleaner without them.

The script on the Iranian flag is a takbir and the symbol on the flag means Allah, hence why the pattern hasn't been used on an Iran kit previously. Using a cheetah pattern or a Persian style geometric pattern (as has been used on Iran kits previously) would be a huge improvement.

I like most of the kits here, though the colour matching on the socks on some of them seems a bit off, especially Iran and the home for Ecuador (the red used on the socks is a lot brighter than on the shirt and shorts)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments so far guys, especially when working with national symbols it can get tricky, I look forward to looking back and editing these with some new perspectives.

Meanwhile, Wales completes the controversy filled Group B with plenty of non sporting related storylines. With a symbol as unique and fierce as a dragon it felt almost too obvious to build two kits around that inspiration. Striping based off of the red dragon's scales are found on both kits sleeves plus a large centre stripe on the away kit while the mighty wings are found adoring the players chest on the home. 

ysRHNdz.jpg

Group C begins tomorrow with a classic Argentina kit honouring a legend.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (8/32: Wales)

Argentina. Sky blue and white stripes. Black shorts. White socks. Say no more. 

I had to keep the home kit simple, but added the sun from their flag behind the numbers. Both kits are meant to honour Argentinean legend Diego Maradona as this is their first World Cup after his passing and the 1986 champion squad that he lead to eternal glory. The away kit is a twist on the blue on blue stripes worn by Maradona that World Cup including when he scored two of the most famous/infamous goals in soccer history against England. It features ten blue stripes honouring their number 10 one last time, while also honouring Messi in his potential last world cup. The look is modernized with five additional thin white stripes, one for each of Diego's goals in that impressive 86 performance.

oOhWtdK.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! While it is fun being super creative with some of these I enjoy the challenge of reeling it in and sticking to tradition in situations like this just as much.

• Like 3

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (9/32: Argentina)

From a team who has found World Cup glory twice to a team that would give up their first born to get out of the first knockout round. The Mexican national team may have struggled to make a run in the last few world cups, but in my opinion they looked awfully good in those four games.

For a team never afraid to push the limits, I made sure to try out some new things for their concepts. The home is inspired by Mexico's past empire, specifically meant to look like an overhead view of an Aztec temple. I made sure to keep their green shirt, white shorts, red socks look emulating the national flag. The away kit takes symbolism from their newly rebranded logo and runs with it creating an asymmetrical look.

yHVI4Oi.jpg

Comments are always appreciate, thanks for the likes on the previous posts. Saudi Arabia is up next tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (10/32: Mexico)

From one team known for pushing the design limits, to one who has been walking the line between simple and boring as of late. While I do quite enjoy many of their classic looks, I think Poland is in need of a bit of a change in their program after a few disappointing results in recent tournaments. While I can't change how they play on the field I can change how they theoretically look.

So here is my view of a modernized Polish national team. The home takes the traditional look while adding a modern graphic, taken from the mosaic facade of their national stadium. The away is a new look intimidating black kit with the wings of their fierce eagle proudly placed on the chest.

2VFtEuU.jpg

Can't believe the World Cup is only a week away! I'll be posting Saudi Arabia tomorrow to round out Group C, hope you guys have been enjoying this series so far...

• Like 3

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (11/32: Poland)

Rounding up Group C here, and probably in the final table as well, we have Saudi Arabia.

The Green Falcons stick with a simple but effective green and white colour scheme on their kits traditionally so I stuck with that. The striping on both kits and shorts come to a point like a sword from their flag and coat of arms. The home white features green shoulders with an abstract wing like pattern, which I now realize I have been featuring many wing inspired designs but don't blame me blame birds and dragons for being a cool feature on nations flags, logos and therefore jerseys. For the away I went with a repeating pattern of the two primary symbols used in most Saudi iconography, the crossed swords and palm trees.

l6Oh0Me.jpg

Which is your favourite out of Group C? Australia, Denmark, France and Tunisia await in the next group!

• Like 2

• freshprinceofmtl changed the title to 2022 World Cup Concepts by FreshPrince (12/32: Saudi Arabia)