MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

10 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Agreed on this point. I got a Germany 2022 WC away jersey this week and it's pretty much indistinguishable from the authentic. It's a shame Adidas/MLS continues to shaft us North Americans. The day that each club can pick it's own kit supplier, the better.

7 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

That last sentence is what is holding MLS clubs hostage. When adidas puts out a new kit for Real Madrid or Bayern, they have to put their best foot forward because they are directly paying the club. They also have 100+ years of history to respect and a fan base that expects the utmost care for team apparel. Anything less could result in a supporter protest.

Be careful what you wish for. This season is the best example, where basically every single team (29!) received a special treatment by Adidas and bespoke kits, most of them very nice and with very different colour schemes.

If you take a look at most European leagues, sure, the kits look (sometimes) more varied because there are more brands and more styles (not many striped kits outside of Europe), but usually at least half of them receive generic, basic templates. I mean, Adidas and Nike produce bespoke kits for maybe 7-8 teams each in the whole European and South American market. And these are markets with huge jersey sales. How many American teams do you think would get sponsored by the big brands (Adidas, Nike, Puma) in this situation? 1-2 each with bespoke kits and another 2-3 with basic templates maybe? And all the rest sponsored by the likes of Macron, Kappa, Castore, but all with generic templates and colours because of the low sales? I think the leaguewide Adidas contract is a blessing, even if it has its disadvantages (similar looks and templates). 

And lastly, regarding the sentence "They also have 100+ years of history to respect": sure, if we are talking about Real Madrid. But those 100+ years of history were disrespected more often than not if we look at Barcelona, Juventus, Milan and Inter in the last 15ish years. After all, the more the brand pays (and the more the club needs that money), the more the brands can decide how the jersey will look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hereandthere said:

Be careful what you wish for. This season is the best example, where basically every single team (29!) received a special treatment by Adidas and bespoke kits, most of them very nice and with very different colour schemes.

If you take a look at most European leagues, sure, the kits look (sometimes) more varied because there are more brands and more styles (not many striped kits outside of Europe), but usually at least half of them receive generic, basic templates. I mean, Adidas and Nike produce bespoke kits for maybe 7-8 teams each in the whole European and South American market. And these are markets with huge jersey sales. How many American teams do you think would get sponsored by the big brands (Adidas, Nike, Puma) in this situation? 1-2 each with bespoke kits and another 2-3 with basic templates maybe? And all the rest sponsored by the likes of Macron, Kappa, Castore, but all with generic templates and colours because of the low sales? I think the leaguewide Adidas contract is a blessing, even if it has its disadvantages (similar looks and templates). 

And lastly, regarding the sentence "They also have 100+ years of history to respect": sure, if we are talking about Real Madrid. But those 100+ years of history were disrespected more often than not if we look at Barcelona, Juventus, Milan and Inter in the last 15ish years. After all, the more the brand pays (and the more the club needs that money), the more the brands can decide how the jersey will look.

I'd also point out how MLS looked before having just one kit maker. Adidas was happy to make uniforms that didn't need to have the three stripes be visible on the jerseys. Nike for the first few years used the same two to three templates, but we didn't notice because of all of the colors involved. Reebok came up with a bespoke design for the Revolution, and Puma did the same for Colorado. I think that's the biggest complaint with Adidas, when the 25th anniversary kits were just the three stripes on one shoulder, an ugly front shirt design, and everyone on the same template. This year's designs were for the most part not done by adidas, which is why we got better variations than in recent history.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I just really hate how the Northern Lights design terminates, feels too abrupt and too high up the shirt. I frankly don’t think the white is necessary at all; the design could be moved down or stretched out so the black is near the hem and the rest of the shirt is the blue and pink. In that case the kit could have black shorts and light blue socks and it would look 100x better IMO.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Orlando’s shirt has leaked (just below Charlotte in this pic):

spacer.png

Believe it looks almost exactly like this mockup I made, but with purple side stripes instead of gold:

spacer.png

MLS Store is selling purple and white shorts, so it seems like they’ll have both options available for this new kit. Don’t believe they’ve ever worn purple/white/purple in MLS.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

52 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I just really hate how the Northern Lights design terminates, feels too abrupt and too high up the shirt. I frankly don’t think the white is necessary at all; the design could be moved down or stretched out so the black is near the hem and the rest of the shirt is the blue and pink. In that case the kit could have black shorts and light blue socks and it would look 100x better IMO.

This is their secondary kit, though. Their primary kit is already all black. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

This is their secondary kit, though. Their primary kit is already all black. 

Right, but the shirt could be almost entirely blue and pink with the black right near the bottom. Similar to Orlando’s secondary shirt that is purple at the bottom. Orlando even wore purple shorts with that kit all last season, even though their primary is all-purple. Minnesota could have done the same with a light blue/black/light blue combo.

spacer.png

• Like 4

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Seems as though Montreals home kit has leaked. Not sure if that’ll still be what it is or if there’ll be any kind major changes. I do like how it looks otherwise with the stripe pattern.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/02/cf-montreal-2023-home-kit.html?m=1

Kind of teamwear-ish, but it at least looks more like L'Impact and I think they're best when they're more blue-heavy, so I'd take it. Confusing with what went on with that statement a month ago, though. I wonder if this is a catalog prototype or something, and if the mysterious offensive indigenous text is hiding on a jocktag or upper-back of jersey that we can't see here.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I actually really like the Minnesota kits. They’re unique and another example of a shirt that works great as streetwear. 

And a huge applause for another team using a simplified crest on the secondary jersey. Need more of this.

Agreed. It's lovely through and through.

I'm really enjoying the aesthetics of MLS 2023 so far. Not all winners, but most.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Still waiting on Orlando to officially reveal their new primaries, and who knows what’s gonna end up happening with the Montréal primary kit. That said, which teams are we thinking have the best set of kits for this season? 

Portland, Vancouver, and Colorado immediately standout as having really good sets because of the strength of their new kits as well as the strength of their carried over kits. I think Columbus, LAG,  and RSL all have pretty strong sets, despite having relatively simple kits. I think Orlando will be up there, too. There are several clubs that have one really strong kit and one weaker kit (Atlanta, Chicago, LAFC all come to mind.) Seattle probably has the wildest set, but I’m not a huge fan of either of their kits and they once again have a secondary that’ll cause matchup headaches. Toronto is definitely up near the worst of the bunch for me.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 hours ago, MrOrange said:

and IMO it also looks bad with the numbers being larger than the hoop/stripes.

A potential solution for the latter would be to slightly increase the size of the hoop, so the whole number(s) fits in it, no overlapping.

That solution would mean the hoop would be larger, and that would mean the sponsor and crest wouldn't fit in as well as they do. They both look just right, increasing the size of the hoop so it could fit the number in would ruin that.

A red number with a white outline, in a font that can handle outlines and looks good with them, would be fine.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The current MLS font doesn't really lend itself to outlines. And the inlined cutout effect makes it thin generally, which I guess necessitates solid backs.

Which is exactly why MLS should either commission a new font that does work with at least one outline, or let teams use a custom font.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Orlando and New England both debuted their new kits in their preseason friendly last night:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both are really solid kits. Surprising that it’s taken this long for Orlando to have gold names/numbers. New England has looked good in white and red secondaries in the past and I really like the stylized sash. I hadn’t realized previously that the side/back hem stripe on New England’s shirt is a red/white/blue stripe:

spacer.png

• Like 6

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

In case it's not been shown yet, here's CITY's full primary kit:

ZtDe5eW.jpeg

I didn't notice it as much when I saw the tops hanging on the racks at the team shop, but man does that sublimation show up in the sunlight... and I don't know if I like that or not. I do know that I'd much prefer navy shorts to break up all that pin—er, red.  It might also help offset that sublimated effect some, too.

• Like 3
  • Meh 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||