MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

It may just be because lately I've been studying one-color-plus-black colorways lately, but I'll give Austin FC credit for having created such a strong brand colorway. It may be simple, but darned effective. (And oddly enoenough, I don't even think St. Patrick's Day when I see this, for whatever reason that is.)

it’s a pretty unique color scheme across North American pro sports, the Kelly green and black look. Can’t think of much beyond the Celtics alternate that wasn’t a thing until 2005, and the Jets and Stars even more recently. And I’d argue all of those examples even focus on the green way more, not the combination of the two colors side by side as much.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 11/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, aawagner011 said:

Yeah I’m not sure I would say Austin “knocked it out of the park.” They look great when the player is facing you, but from the back they might as well be another black and white team.

spacer.png

Like Brave Bird mentioned, I appreciated Atlanta’s approach to the stripes which was to use red as the base color to create contrast from the shorts.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

Who is everyone?  

This guy when I said earlier in this thread that Austin knocked it out of the park with their first home kit.

And the 8 other people who gave the post thumbs ups and applauses. 

As I've stated before I love Austin's colors for my own nostalgic reasons, but I honestly wasn't a fan of their first jerseys. Especially since they chose to make the back of the jersey, shorts and socks black. It was a black kit with a couple green stripes on the front for a team that's primary color is supposed to be green.

If I could rewrite history, I would have given Seattle's current jersey design to Austin in 2021. I just think it would look better in Austin's colors, swapping the greens and black in place of blue. A green dominant jersey with enough black in the design to please the cool crowd. Hell, the shorts and socks could have still been black and I think it would have been a better look for them than what we got in our timeline. Just my two pennies though.

Even though I like seeing Austin wear more green than black now, the front design on the new jerseys was a huge miss. Fingers crossed they decided to move on from stripes in 2025.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Meant to post this earlier, but I have to say that last night’s Timbers/SKC match was really a visual treat. Games between these two almost always produce good-to-great kit matchups, and last night was no exception. For my Timbers, seeing it action I think this new one is the 2nd best primary kit in their MLS history (behind only 2017/18). I really enjoyed the 2019/20 hoops, but I think I give a slight edge to this one for 2nd place on my personal list because of the distinctive plaid pattern and the way that both the white and gold accents really pop instead of “competing” with each other. Can’t wait to see it with white shorts. As for SKC, I wasn’t too high on their new kit when it was unveiled but it really grew on me while watching the game. I still think they left a good deal of potential on the table (and have on their last few kits, really), but I do think this new one was executed better than the one it replaced. I’m always a sucker for a henley collar, too. I hope they wear navy shorts with it a few times this year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Meant to post this earlier, but I have to say that last night’s Timbers/SKC match was really a visual treat. Games between these two almost always produce good-to-great kit matchups, and last night was no exception. For my Timbers, seeing it action I think this new one is the 2nd best primary kit in their MLS history (behind only 2017/18). I really enjoyed the 2019/20 hoops, but I think I give a slight edge to this one for 2nd place on my personal list because of the distinctive plaid pattern and the way that both the white and gold accents really pop instead of “competing” with each other. Can’t wait to see it with white shorts. As for SKC, I wasn’t too high on their new kit when it was unveiled but it really grew on me while watching the game. I still think they left a good deal of potential on the table (and have on their last few kits, really), but I do think this new one was executed better than the one it replaced. I’m always a sucker for a henley collar, too. I hope they wear navy shorts with it a few times this year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

We'll be wearing it with Dark Indigo shorts this weekend against Colorado :)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

On 2/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, tBBP said:

The last one is a bit of a stretch since Houston has also used white so much, but it gets the point across. (And yes I'm aware that just about all those clubs use a third "trim" color, but you get my drift.)

The Dynamo haven’t had a white change kit since 2015. The last 8 seasons, they’ve gone exclusively with orange primary kits and black change kits, which better aligns with their badge. Also orange and black is a very strong brand colorway that’s unique in MLS. They’ve just squandered the opportunity to build upon this with terrible wooden spoon quality squads. 

NYCdog.png

45 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

The Dynamo haven’t had a white change kit since 2015. The last 8 seasons, they’ve gone exclusively with orange primary kits and black change kits, which better aligns with their badge. Also orange and black is a very strong brand colorway that’s unique in MLS. They’ve just squandered the opportunity to build upon this with terrible wooden spoon quality squads. 

On their primary kits, I'd love to see them use the powder blue that they used to use and the Dash still use. They can keep using just the orange and black on the secondary. 

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

On their primary kits, I'd love to see them use the powder blue that they used to use and the Dash still use. They can keep using just the orange and black on the secondary. 

I'm a big fan of orange and powder blue in general — I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite color combo — and I used to really like it on Dynamo kits when they first rebranded in the mid-2000s. But to be honest, I don't really miss it. I like them better as an orange-and-black club. It's a strong enough colorway on its own that adding a tertiary to it seems unnecessary. 

With Chicago, NYC, Philly, Colorado, SKC, and Minnesota all utilizing a fair amount of that powdery sky blue, it’s not a huge loss from a distinction perspective (though kinda unfair since Houston beat them all to using it, but such is the MLS landscape). I kind of like only the Dash using it now… lets the two teams look mostly similar but there’s an element of distinction to each one’s brand. 

• Like 1

Once again, seems like MLS won’t be posting the kit matchups. Some teams have posted on social media or their website what they’ll be wearing this weekend, while others haven’t posted anything. Here’s an idea of what we could see. * = confirmed kit choice.

LAFC (all-black) vs. *Portland (pink/white/pink)

Atlanta (stripes/black/red) vs. Toronto (all-white)

Columbus (all-black) vs. DC (all-white)

Miami (all-pink) vs. Philly (all-navy)

*New England (all-navy) vs. Houston (all-orange)

*NYRB (all-yellow) vs. *Nashville (all-black)

Orlando (all-purple) vs. Cincy (all-orange)

Austin (stripes/black/black) vs. *Montreal (all-gray)

*Chicago (white/blue/white) vs. NYCFC (all-orange)

Dallas (red/blue/blue) vs. LAG (all-white)

*St. Louis (all-red) vs. *Charlotte (blue/white/blue)

*Colorado (burgundy/blue/burgundy) vs. *SKC (light blue/navy/light blue)

San Jose (all-black) vs. Vancouver (all-white)

*Seattle (green/blue/green) vs. *RSL (all-gold)

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

12 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Once again, seems like MLS won’t be posting the kit matchups. Some teams have posted on social media or their website what they’ll be wearing this weekend, while others haven’t posted anything. Here’s an idea of what we could see. * = confirmed kit choice.

Columbus (all-black) vs. DC (all-white)

Columbus should always wear yellow at home. 😡

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Whatever happened with that Montreal leak? Are we still assuming that one won’t see the light of day? They’re away to Vancouver and SKC early in the season, which  are two matchups where I assume the grey kit won’t work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Columbus should always wear yellow at home. 😡

To be fair, I don’t really know what they’re wearing. Black is my guess, though.

54 minutes ago, Digby said:

Whatever happened with that Montreal leak? Are we still assuming that one won’t see the light of day? They’re away to Vancouver and SKC early in the season, which  are two matchups where I assume the grey kit won’t work.

There haven’t been any updates on that situation since the team posted this message:

Chances are the inscription is either on the inner collar or back neck (neither of which were visible on the leak), so they probably won’t wear it until they’re able to get updated versions without it. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, Digby said:

Their season opener was equally horrible. I tuned into the highlights and could barely tell them apart.

spacer.png

• Like 1