North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

Los Angeles Football Club are the MLS Cup Champions for 2022! Will 2023 see the Black and Gold become the first Major League Soccer side since the Los Angeles Galaxy to capture back-to-back league titles? Can the Philadelphia Union use a gut-punch of a loss in the 2022 MLS title game as fuel to propel them to a Cup coronation next year?  Expansion team Saint Louis CITY SC will become Major League Soccer's 29th franchise in 2023, but which market - Las Vegas or San Diego - will be announced as the competition's 30th club? Might the new year see Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo bringing their talents to MLS? Will either the New England Revolution or New York City FC receive approval for new, soccer-specific homes in 2023?  What impact will the growth of the Leagues Cup competition and the launch of Apple TV's MLS streaming deal have on "The Beautiful Game"?   Answers to those questions and more in the New Year.  

• Like 1

I think Las Vegas would be the ideal place for the next team according to the league but I'm thinking they'd get lost in the shuffle. You now have Knights and Raiders and rumors of interest in the As. Sure it's a visitor teams fans dream road trip. 

San Diego would probably work as a franchise better. Just wish Sacramento could have worked out. 

As for stadiums I'm going to say nycfc will announce more plans but without anything concrete. The Revs won't announce anything until they have something real. Which won't be this next year I don't think. 

Not sure how much attention this will get in the grand scheme of things, but 2023 will be the first year of The Soccer Tournament. Unlike The Basketball Tournament which takes place shortly after the NBA season, TST will likely run concurrent to MLS, USL, NISA, etc.

The Soccer Tournament - The Basketball Tournament (thetournament.com)

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

MLS represented by Austin FC, Orlando City SC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Los Angeles FC, and Philadelphia Union in the 2023 Concacaf Champions League. Not sure if an MLS club will win the tournament this time around, but we shall see.

2023 CONCACAF Champions League schedule

• Round of 16: March 7-9 (first legs); March 14-16 (second legs)
  • Quarterfinals: April 4-6 (first legs); April 11-13 (second legs)
  • Semifinals: April 25-27 (first legs); May 2-4 (second legs)
  • Final: May 31 (first leg) and June 4 (second leg)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

MLS represented by Austin FC, Orlando City SC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Los Angeles FC, and Philadelphia Union in the 2023 Concacaf Champions League. Not sure if an MLS club will win the tournament this time around, but we shall see.

2023 CONCACAF Champions League schedule

• Round of 16: March 7-9 (first legs); March 14-16 (second legs)
  • Quarterfinals: April 4-6 (first legs); April 11-13 (second legs)
  • Semifinals: April 25-27 (first legs); May 2-4 (second legs)
  • Final: May 31 (first leg) and June 4 (second leg)

I think LAFC or Philadelphia could have a chance, don't see Orlando or Austin winning. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2022-11-10 at 11:18 PM, Dilbert said:

MLS Next Pro has announced its second independent club (alongside Rochester New York FC) set to join in 2024. Carolina Core FC will play in High Point, North Carolina.

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/news/new-independent-club-led-by-soccer-legend-eddie-pope-to-join-mls-next-pro-in-202

I so don't get the point of these clubs. Who signs up to be the Washington Generals?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

If this team is here for the same reason Huntsville is, its because MLS outbid the USL on the contract with the city/venue to host the team. USL had Huntsville eyed for League One but MLS outbid them so Huntsville is in MLS Next Pro as Nashvilles club. USL and MLS Next Pro are also eyeing Baltimore. Both leagues were looking at Spokane but USL won that one. As for being an independent club in MLS Next Pro, I dont know but Id rather play in MLS Next Pro than in the beer league that is NISA.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

Congratulations to the oil barons for finally getting this done (five years from now). It's a good location next to Citi Field and the Tennis Center although I will miss the third-world how-does-this-exist-here seediness of the Willets Point chop shops. Hope they have a good marketing presence in Queens because this location, by subway, is no closer to Brooklyn or probably many places south of Midtown than RBA is... the lengths to which New Yorkers will go to avoid a PATH transfer, I guess.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

57 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ain't it ironic that a team partly owned by and for a decade played in the home stadium of the New York Yankees gets a new stadium next to the Mets ballpark though 😎

Disclaimer: I am a RBNY fan

No. All the other proposed sites were abandoned or didn't make much sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ain't it ironic that a team partly owned by and for a decade played in the home stadium of the New York Yankees gets a new stadium next to the Mets ballpark though 😎

Disclaimer: I am a RBNY fan

The irony to me is that they could have been in a proper stadium ages ago, but they were steadfast it had to be somewhere in NYC proper instead of possibly being outside of town. Would that have meant somewhere in New Jersey? Probably, but at least they are finally moving out of the baseball stadium and into a proper stadium, . . . eventually. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png