North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

So, when that NYCFC stadium opens, is that other team finally gonna honor the state that's hosted 'em for their entire history and be the New Jersey Red Bulls?

I thought they would call themselves Metro Red Bulls or Red Bull USA before New Jersey lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

That's all MLS season ticket holders.

I had a feeling that would be the case but I just heard that from my friend who has TFC seasons

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Burmy said:

That's different; no NFL team actually plays within the NYC confines.

Unlike Red Bull, the Giants and Jets actually played home games in NYC for decades before moving to Jersey.  With the exception of 1 US Open Cup match in the late nineties, Red Bull has only played in NYC as visitors at Yankee Stadium.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 11/16/2022 at 2:41 PM, 4_tattoos said:

This was a surprise coming from The Soccer Tournament. You see many college alum teams in The Basketball Tournament, but yet to see a pro team (from anywhere around the world) participate in it. Wonder if any other established soccer clubs will have teams in TST? I doubt any MLS clubs would since they have Next Pro starting up soon and TST will likely run concurrent to that league's season.

Club Necaxa - The Basketball Tournament (thetournament.com)

hashtag united are in it comfirmed

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

MLS Next Pro is scheduled to be in Cleveland tomorrow to announce an expansion team at 1PM tomorrow. The team will be an independent club. Many soccer fans in Cleveland are said to be disappointed by this announcement.  I would be too. 

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

MLS Next Pro is scheduled to be in Cleveland tomorrow to announce an expansion team at 1PM tomorrow. The team will be an independent club. Many soccer fans in Cleveland are said to be disappointed by this announcement.  I would be too. 

Did they think Crew2 would be moving? It wouldn't make sense to do that.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

MLS trying to prevent USL from expanding to as many cities as they can.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Did they think Crew2 would be moving? It wouldn't make sense to do that.

No, Crew2 is staying put in Columbus, however the Haslems (owners of the Crew, Crew2 and the Browns) assisted Michael Murphy, who led the efforts to bring MLSNP to Cleveland.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

MLS trying to prevent USL from expanding to as many cities as they can.  

Exactly this. MLS came in and has already swooped Huntsville, from USL. They are trying to do the same in Baltimore. USL was successful in taking Spokane from MLSNP. Its why MLS is allowing independent clubs in MLSNP and not just the reserve clubs. Despite USL Championship and USL League One being the superior quality leagues over MLSNP, MLS ultimately has the money that USL doesnt and outbids when it comes to the city, stadium and potential ownership contracts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dilbert said:

No, Crew2 is staying put in Columbus, however the Haslems (owners of the Crew, Crew2 and the Browns) assisted Michael Murphy, who led the efforts to bring MLSNP to Cleveland.

Exactly this. MLS came in and has already swooped Huntsville, from USL. They are trying to do the same in Baltimore. USL was successful in taking Spokane from MLSNP. Its why MLS is allowing independent clubs in MLSNP and not just the reserve clubs. Despite USL Championship and USL League One being the superior quality leagues over MLSNP, MLS ultimately has the money that USL doesnt and outbids when it comes to the city, stadium and potential ownership contracts.

MLS is also trying to take USL cities for themselves as well, with rumors of Las Vegas and San Diego, which would cause some issues for the San Diego Loyal and Las Vegas Lights FC.  With Charlotte FC getting their own MLSNP team, I wonder what happens to the Charlotte Independence of USL League One.  

On 11/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, GDAWG said:

It will be interesting to see if the NYCFC Stadium hosts high school football games as well.  

I could see this happening. I believe both Columbus stadiums hosted games this year, but HCS for certain still does. 

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

MLS is also trying to take USL cities for themselves as well, with rumors of Las Vegas and San Diego, which would cause some issues for the San Diego Loyal and Las Vegas Lights FC.  With Charlotte FC getting their own MLSNP team, I wonder what happens to the Charlotte Independence of USL League One.  

I wonder if San Diego Loyal would still have a chance to move up. Is Landon still involved at some level with the team? I think the Lights would get screwed over if MLS moved in though. As far as Charlotte, maybe they should move up to USL Championship if possible. That may help put some distance between them and Charlotte FC 2. Or do you think the big Charlotte team may try taking over their stadium as a place for the B team to play at? 

17 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Many soccer fans in Cleveland are said to be disappointed by this announcement.  I would be too. 

So does this kill off Cleveland SC then? I could see why that would piss off locals, unless Cleveland SC just moves into MLS Next. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Honestly USL and MLSNP can both operate teams in the same city. MLSNP wasnt created to attract fans but merely just to operate a reserve club,  and doesnt record attendance figures but from what Ive seen, only the independent Rochester New York FC, St Louis City 2 (who did not have the MLS parent operating last season), and Crew2 were able to draw crowds of up to 3,000. The rest, all reserve clubs, drew what they typically did in USL of just a few hundred people. I imagine if both USL and MLSNP put teams in the same city, fans will support the USL club over the MLSNP club.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I could see this happening. I believe both Columbus stadiums hosted games this year, but HCS for certain still does. 

I wonder if San Diego Loyal would still have a chance to move up. Is Landon still involved at some level with the team? I think the Lights would get screwed over if MLS moved in though. As far as Charlotte, maybe they should move up to USL Championship if possible. That may help put some distance between them and Charlotte FC 2. Or do you think the big Charlotte team may try taking over their stadium as a place for the B team to play at? 

So does this kill off Cleveland SC then? I could see why that would piss off locals, unless Cleveland SC just moves into MLS Next. 

Landon is still the manager and EVP of Soccer Operations for the Loyal. I don't think Charlotte FC 2 has announced a venue yet.  

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

As far as Charlotte, maybe they should move up to USL Championship if possible. That may help put some distance between them and Charlotte FC 2. Or do you think the big Charlotte team may try taking over their stadium as a place for the B team to play at?

Independence did play in USLC but moved down a season or two ago. We've heard basically nothing about the MLS Next Pro team so if we're lucky it won't be just CLTFC 2 but either not in Charlotte or something a bit different.

the user formerly known as cdclt