Minnesota Twins New Identity

Zooropeanx

20 hours ago, Shumway said:

It might be because I'm a sucker for 80s batting practice jerseys, but I'd love to see the Twins bust out an alternate like this with the current throwback script.

mitchell-ness-youth-jersey-youth-kirby-p

Side note that nobody cares about but me: My wife just bought me this BP jersey and I completely adore it.

I'm with you on '80s BP styles in general. I live in St. Louis, and the Cardinals have a game-day promotion featuring BP jerseys just like this, only not embroidered and featuring a classic players' nickname on the back. They had several players,  distributed as "mystery jerseys," and I ended up with a Musial one that says "The Man" on the back. I'm not a Cardinals fan, but I wear it just because of that nickname. (Cards have the best giveaways.) 

Most teams in the '80s, an era in which most teams only had home and away jerseys,  did an incredible job of creating simple, but unique BP alternates. By the '90s, the Twins (and others) simplified them too much by removing any sleeve and collar striping to leave it as a plain Navy mesh shirt with their home script.

This '80s Padres one has always been one of my favorites.

spacer.png

• Like 7

As an outsider, it seems like the Twins have been one of those teams that has just never had an identity and just kinda exists.  Since the early Puckett years, there's really been nothing remarkable or unique about their look.  They're just another navy + red team in a sea of navy + red teams.  As someone with no attachment to the team, they certainly seem like a candidate for a full refresh.

I can't believe the current home set has been around since 2015.  Feels like just yesterday we were reading the rumors of them dropping pinstripes and adding gold.  Whatever they do, I hope they fix the disconnect between home and road scripts.  It's always bothered me that the road wordmark is an actual script, while the home one is not - it doesn't make sense to do it that way.  They should either both be the same, or have the road go back to the boring block font that's still very different from the home mark, but in line with baseball tradition.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/5/2022 at 9:24 PM, Shumway said:

It might be because I'm a sucker for 80s batting practice jerseys, but I'd love to see the Twins bust out an alternate like this with the current throwback script.

mitchell-ness-youth-jersey-youth-kirby-p

I’m also a sucker for 80’s BP jerseys, and I have this particular Twins jersey and love it, as well. I like the idea of the Twins having white letters with red trim on the navy base, since so many of the navy/red teams go the opposite route.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:33 AM, BBTV said:

As an outsider, it seems like the Twins have been one of those teams that has just never had an identity and just kinda exists.  Since the early Puckett years, there's really been nothing remarkable or unique about their look.  They're just another navy + red team in a sea of navy + red teams.  As someone with no attachment to the team, they certainly seem like a candidate for a full refresh.

As a Twins fan, I can understand this. As much as I don’t like the 90’s-2000’s set aesthetically, I can see why it’s the most identifiable and unique they’ve ever been. It’s probably partly because of the 2 World Series wins in the 5 years after that set’s debut as well as their continued success in the early 2000’s, and partly because other navy/red teams simply haven’t used pinstripes in the way the Twins did, helping them to stand out a bit more.

I wouldn’t love if the Twins went back to the pinstripes, but I would understand it. I’ll just be glad if they finally get rid of the gold.

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

According to the Twins on instagram, the clubhouse store at Target Field will be closed through the 18th. My prediction is the store is being renovated with new graphics and being restocked with new merch, leading up to the uniform reveal on the 18th or 19th of November.

Restocking in Fanatics era propably means they'll have a couple new items along full price old stuff...

• Dislike 2

The Twins just posted this brief clip to Twitter - you can presumably see a few close-ups of the new uniforms. Interesting font choice on "November 18" as well at the end. I wonder if that's incorporated into the rebrand or just a new font for socials.

EDIT: The second tweet I embedded gives a little bit more. Looking like no pinstripes on the home white uniform, with a possible Minnesota outline logo on the sleeve.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

30 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

The Twins just posted this brief clip to Twitter - you can presumably see a few close-ups of the new uniforms. Interesting font choice on "November 18" as well at the end. I wonder if that's incorporated into the rebrand or just a new font for socials.

EDIT: The second tweet I embedded gives a little bit more. Looking like no pinstripes on the home white uniform, with a possible Minnesota outline logo on the sleeve.

My first impression is that this will play heavily off the 70s-80s double-knit era style. 

• Like 5

5 players at the unveiling suggests 5 uniforms to model. My predictions/hopes:

Home - White that looks like the 1972-1986 uniform.

Road - Gray with pinstripes, current road wordmark.

Alt 1 - Cream with pinstripes.

Alt 2 - Blue, current road wordmark.

Alt 3 - Edit: City Connect

Edited by 5ss22
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5ss22 said:

5 players at the unveiling suggests 5 uniforms to model. My predictions/hopes:

Home - White that looks like the 1972-1986 uniform.

Road - Gray with pinstripes, current road wordmark.

Alt 1 - Cream with pinstripes.

Alt 2 - Blue, current road wordmark.

Alt 3 - Edit: City Connect

You make a great point with the 5 players and having 5 different uniforms.  

The uniforms appear to be very clean from what I can see in the images.  The elimination of Kasota Gold would be a major upgrade.  Traditional red, white and blue piping.  I agree with you in getting the sense that the home white will be something similar to what they wore from 1972-1986.

I just hope the road script is consistent with the home script whether it's "Minnesota" or "Twins".

It wouldn't surprise me if the "November 18" font is what we see on the uniforms for player names and numbers.

• Like 3

LzNwnJ5.png

From the fabric texture and stitching I think this is the left corner of the C on the cap; TC stays and no mustard.

fPUzpvs.png

Possibly the corner of a name? Doubt they would go solid navy logo or numbers. Pinstripe-less white jersey.

CiRlWOB.png

White jersey sleeve piping.

a2DnIAQ.png

Initially thought this was a navy script with red outlines, but the texture makes me think it's a navy alternate (also matches what Buxton is wearing in the video).

Still a question of what scripts they use and in which colors, ditto with the numbers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

LzNwnJ5.png

From the fabric texture and stitching I think this is the left corner of the C on the cap; TC stays and no mustard.

fPUzpvs.png

Possibly the corner of a name? Doubt they would go solid navy logo or numbers. Pinstripe-less white jersey.

CiRlWOB.png

White jersey sleeve piping.

a2DnIAQ.png

Initially thought this was a navy script with red outlines, but the texture makes me think it's a navy alternate (also matches what Buxton is wearing in the video).

Still a question of what scripts they use and in which colors, ditto with the numbers.

The bottom image makes me wonder if they're going with the TC logo on the chest of a navy alternate jersey.

I'm definitely not liking the 1970s/80s vibe I'm getting off of those R/W/B stripes.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

As long as the new set no longer includes two navy alts, it'll be an upgrade at least in that regard. 

Also, the teaser images seem to dispel the pinstripes returning rumor, unless the pins are only going to be on the road set. 

They might go the Brewers way with two home uniforms to please everyone. One with thick piping and one with pinstripes...

Assuming the font in the announcement video is what they go with (which seems reasonable: compare the T's to the logo T, and the serifs on the C and 3 match the serifs on the 2009 Twins wordmark) and that Buxton isn't wearing a blank jersey and the neck is bare:

kzXgsd7.png

xAuDlTd.png

Or some permutation of red/blue numbers/script, +/- the front number. Some version of the Minnesota logo on the sleeve.

• Like 7